The Trakenen breed of horses appeared a very long time ago. Due to the fact that breeders carefully studied its breeding, animals have many advantages and few disadvantages. Breeding trakens is a profitable business if you approach it responsibly and seriously. The article discusses the rules of horse nutrition and the features of caring for them.
Trakenen horses appeared in 1232 in the village of Prussia. The Knights of the Order wanted to have a new hardy breed in their troops that would make it easier for the soldiers in offensives. From the Crusades, they brought Eastern stallions, which were later crossed with Zhmudskie mares.
In 1732, a stud farm was created. At the same time, this year was officially recognized as the emergence of the genus Trakens. To start the work, breeders used more than 1000 horses of different breeds, including Danish, English and Oriental. Forest mares were crossed with Lithuanian, Polish, Tatar, Eastern stallions. Animals were bred for several purposes: to obtain draft animals that will help in agriculture and carry crews, and also for the army - riding horses.
Trakenen breed in Russia
Horses of this breed appeared in Russia before the Great Patriotic War. A large number of individuals were brought in 1925. The stallions were sent to the cavalry, and the best mares were crossed with purebred stallions. But the offspring was practically not preserved due to differences in content.
For the second time, a mare appeared on the territory of the country in 1945, where scientists of the Kirov stud farm located in the Rostov Region began to deal with them. Until now, this large plant continues to breed Russian trakens. Many of the horses showed excellent performance and continue to show themselves in equestrian sport.
In horses of this breed of the correct form, the head is slightly dry with graceful lines. The eyes are large, shiny and deep, the forehead is wide and slightly concave or straight profile. The head is located on a short, thin neck, which has a conical shape.
Horses have a wide and deep chest, a powerful body and long shoulder blades. A distinctive feature is a high, muscular withers, well-developed muscles. The croup is oval in shape, and the legs are firmly on the ground, attracting the correct setting.
Many believe that the Trakenen horses predominate in the black suit, but in fact there are red, gray and bay specimens. Sometimes roan horses are found. Due to the fact that in the breed there is a gene of pimple, today pied trakens come across. Previously, such horses were discarded from breeding.
Trakenen horses are large and tall. The height of the stallions at the withers is about 166 centimeters, but occasionally there are higher specimens reaching 174 centimeters. The growth of mares varies within 164 centimeters. Trakenen horses weigh between 460 and 550 kilograms.
Horses of this breed have an ambiguous character: there are horses prone to work, and there are those who do not want to work at all. Some individuals are friendly, others are aggressive.
But at the same time, representatives of the breed are soft and flexible, courageous and decisive. If there are good trakens in the herd, they will be happy to help the inexperienced rider reach the heights in equestrian sport. Horses are distinguished by their efficiency and responsibility for the execution of any team, which will especially appeal to those who love dressage.
The motor and jumping qualities of horses are an important criterion for evaluating the breed. Trakens are characterized by easy running, especially under the saddle. For the formation and development of working and sports skills, a combined training system is used. It includes dressage trials, cross country racing, overcoming obstacles.
Due to the fact that animals lend themselves to training and have a balanced character, they are suitable for any type of equestrian sport.
Advantages and disadvantages
The Trakenen breed has both advantages and disadvantages. Positive qualities include the following:
- simplicity in training;
- universality (they are used in different directions);
- courage, endurance, riskiness;
- excellent performance indicators;
- peaceful and friendly character;
- ease and smoothness of movements;
- attractive appearance;
- ability to jump high.
The negative aspects of horses include the following points:
- Often, animals suffer from joint diseases and hernias.
- The survival rate is 85%, which is caused by weak immunity and low vitality.
- It is difficult to breed horses in the herd, due to the fact that, in comparison with other breeds, they do not differ in good health, often they catch infectious or catarrhal diseases. It is better to breed them in separate stables with the possibility of summer grazing.
- A distinctive feature is moodiness and spoilage. This applies more to the care and maintenance of horses. During breeding, animals were kept in clean stables, caring for them was the best. At the same time, scientists paid little attention to training and the physical work of animals.
In order for the Trakenen horses to feel great, to be strong, strong and healthy, to show good results in competitions, they need to provide proper care:
- To clean the stable and stall. Cleaning is carried out regularly. Once a month, the room is treated with antiseptic agents from pests and parasites.
- Make sure that there are no drafts in the room. Horses do not tolerate increased dryness, high humidity and windiness - this can lead to diseases.
- Equip feeders and drinking bowls. They should always have clean drinking water and fresh feed.
- Provide a long walk. Due to the fact that trakens are active animals, they need a long walk, for which they use large pastures, so that horses have the opportunity to frolic in plenty.
- Combing and bathing horses regularly. These procedures help maintain an attractive appearance. Once a week you need to wash your horses with special hair and mane care products. In summer, this should be done more often.
Horses participating in competitions are required to train and train daily. If the classes are irregular, this may cause the horses to not be strong enough and hardy.
Feeding the Trakenen horse breed is a separate issue. In this case, it is important to follow the basic recommendations:
- Despite the fact that the horses of this breed are predominantly large, they have a small stomach. For this reason, they need frequent meals, but in small portions.
- Regular care must be taken to ensure that the animals have clean water and drinking utensils. It needs to be washed after each meal.
- To meet the chewing abilities of horses, the proper functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, it is imperative to include fodder in the diet.
- Introducing a new product into the horse’s diet should be gradual. So the stomach gets used to the unusual dish.
- Give animals only high-quality feed. Do not feed the horses with mold products; this can lead to infection by infectious diseases.
- The preparation of the diet is based on its physical activity.
- After eating, horses need rest - this contributes to better digestion of food. You can not immediately load the horses with physical activity.
To maintain the health of the Trakenen horses, it is necessary to inspect regularly, paying attention to the genital cavity. The farmer will need to brush his horses, cut off pointed specimens, and water the animals with worms and other parasitic microorganisms. Be sure to contact your veterinarian, noting that the horse’s behavior has changed significantly, and his health worsened.
Reproduction and longevity
Horses-trakens live about 30-35 years. Sexual maturity in horses of this breed occurs at the age of 2 years. But breeders recommend waiting 3-4 years - this is necessary for the complete maturation of the animal's body.
The breed is usually bred artificially during the period of seasonal hunting in females. The period of gestation lasts from 320 days to 1 year. At this time, the mare behaves carefully and calmly, her belly is rounded in the second half of pregnancy. During the draw, it is especially necessary to let the mare go for a walk.
When the foal is about to be born, the mare begins to behave uneasily, then go to bed, then get up. Childbirth lasts no more than 20 minutes. The baby is born wet, mom begins to lick it. The very next day, he can walk with a mare in the yard. After a month, in addition to milk, the foal is fed with vegetables. After 6 months, the cub is transferred to a personal stall.
Sports Achievements and Awards
Trakenen horses have a very attractive appearance, but also high-level performance. The animal will be a good helper and friend for a rider of any level. Recently, trakens are often found in competitions around the world, they usually come out winners, not losers.
The Trakenen breed of horses shows excellent results in many equestrian disciplines. The excellent jumping ability and vigor of these horses is especially evident in contests and offsite performances. In eventing, trakens also often win competitions.
In 1972, at competitions in domestic equestrian sport, a horse of Russian origin named Ashes was especially remembered. His rider E. Petushkova received the highest award in team wrestling and became the world champion in dressage.
The American traken of Abdullah was no less remembered - he received gold at the 1984 Olympics. The best representatives of this breed are horses of German and Russian origin - they have repeatedly shown excellent results.
Buying a traken will cost the farmer from 2 to 10 thousand dollars. The reason for this is that it is an elite breed. The cost of the animal directly depends on age, gender, state of health, sporting achievements and pedigree. For example, sick or old specimens will cost less - about $ 1,000. Young horses without pedigree and sports training are sold at a price of 3 to 6 thousand dollars.
The most expensive are considered young, strong and healthy horses with sports training and a noble pedigree. In many ways, the cost of the animal depends on who its parents are and what achievements are behind them.
On the trakenensky breed of horses, in general, they respond positively, referring to the endurance and performance of animals:
Olga, 35 years old, horse instructor.
I have a dozen horses of this breed in the stable. They are all different. I take care of one mare more than the others - I always need to be careful with it, because if you think about it or get distracted, it can bite or strike. And one horse wants to seem vicious, but in fact it will never harm. The only thing that people are wary of does not like them.
There are those on which I safely put novice riders - animals behave well. The jumping qualities of them all also vary significantly - some fail-safe, and with others it is difficult to overcome all obstacles.
Christina, 28 years old, owner of the traken.
I have my own favorite of the Tarkenev breed. I am delighted with him, because he is so used to me that he shows only his best qualities. He meets not only with a whirring, but also licks when I approach him. He knows that sugar is in his pocket - he climbs behind it without hesitation. Once I decided to test my craftsman in regional competitions in show jumping, the kid did not disappoint, they took first place with him.
Despite all their capriciousness, Trakenen horses are distinguished by endurance, good physical qualities, attractive appearance. If you seriously engage in animal training, he will be able to show only the best results. No wonder many of the horses become winners in equestrian contests.