The Nicot system is an upgraded version of the Generator cell. It allows you to remove the uterus without contact with the larvae, which greatly simplifies the work. The design has certain features and a complete set. It must be used according to the rules. You can make the Nikot system yourself.
Design features, equipment
The Nikot system as standard is designed to remove 30 queens. Its main part is represented by a cartridge - an artificial honeycomb. It provides 110 cells (11x10), where bowls are inserted. One side of the cassette is covered by a separation grid, and the other is covered by a cover (plexiglass). The uterus sits under this cover.
In addition to the cassette, the Nikot system includes:
- artificial bowls - 100 pieces;
- holders for bowls - 30 pieces;
- caps for the vaccination frame - 30 pieces;
- cells for queen cells - 30 pieces.
The package design also includes instructions for use. If necessary, the remaining components of the system can be purchased, including the Nikot cassette itself. Artificial bowls are sold separately in sets of 25 to 200 pieces. Weights a standard set of Nicot 0.58 kg.
The cover of the cassette made of plexiglas provides a hole and a plug on it. The separation grid also has an opening where the uterus sits.
Advantages of the system
The Nicot system has several important advantages:
- almost 100% egg laying in the cassette;
- non-contact transplantation of larvae onto the vaccination frame - the process is simplified, the absence of contact eliminates damage to the larvae;
- accelerated process of grafting larvae on the frame;
- removal of high-grade and highly productive uterus;
- simultaneous exit of young queens;
- the possibility of obtaining queens even in the absence of experience and fundamental knowledge in this area;
- reusable use of the system - it is enough to clean it in a timely manner, lost elements are easy to replace.
Features and rules of use, instructions for use
Using the Nicot system is quite simple. It is enough to observe the following algorithm:
- Set the cassette on the frame.
- Make a grafting frame.
- Clean and polish the cassette.
- Put the uterus in the cassette.
- Form a caregiver family.
- Install the vaccination frame in the formed bee family.
- Check the intake of larvae.
- Discard queen cells.
- Select mature queen cells.
- Check the reception of the uterus at its exit and further egg laying.
Each stage has its own characteristics and nuances.
Installing the cassette and preparing the vaccination frame
To fix the cassette on the frame, 2 screws are needed, for which special holes are provided. It is possible to fix the cassette in different ways - on a frame with sushi or wax, an empty frame (an upper bar is enough for fastening).
After installation of the cartridge fixing of socles - brown details where 4 small openings is made is required. Partially they are attached to the upper bar, partly to an additional horizontal bar (optional). As a vaccination frame, you can take any frame, including those with defects. A lower bar is not required.
After all these preparations, it is necessary to remove the plexiglass cover from the back of the cartridge and install artificial bowls. Holders for them are installed on the plinths. It is recommended to put their shoulders perpendicular to the frame bars - this facilitates the removal of the holders in the future.
When using the cartridge is not allowed to heat above 65 degrees. Otherwise, there is a risk of deformation and further unsuitability for use.
Placement of the vaccination frame in the kindergarten family
It is important to prepare the family-educator correctly - the success of the process largely depends on this. After its formation and preparation of the vaccination framework, proceed as follows:
- Prepare a warm and humid room.
- When hatching larvae, place the frame with the cassette in the ramonos, be sure to cover it with a damp cloth - this measure prevents the larvae from drying out, which is detrimental to them.
- Ramonos to bring into the room.
- Remove from the cassette the back cover for selecting larvae - the choice is usually determined by their size, the amount of milk around (the more the better).
- Transfer the bowls to the frame - you need to act quickly so that the larvae do not cool and do not dry, otherwise they can be destroyed.
- Place the prepared frame in the ramonos and cover with a damp cloth.
- Transport the frame with one-day larvae to the apiary, install it in the nest with the kindergarten family - the well for the frame must be formed in advance.
- Provide a cover-canvas, a feeder with syrup or well-fed - the amount of dressing should be small (it is recommended to start dressing the family-teacher a week before the main process).
A warm and humid room is an optional condition for performing the necessary actions. Such a microclimate is organized if the weather is bad or spring withdrawal is carried out. In warm weather in the summer, you can perform all the necessary actions on site.
The entire process of removing the uterus with the Nicot system must be controlled. Be sure to keep track of how the larvae were accepted for uterine content. Dates for control should be determined in accordance with the calendar for the withdrawal of queens.
Tracking the process is easy. To do this, raise the canvas in a previously opened hive and remove the grafting frame. It is necessary to count queen cells that are already drawn by bees - their number corresponds to the number of larvae received. Depending on the results obtained, the procedure, if necessary, can be carried out again.
Culling of queen cells and selection of mature queens
It is necessary to start this stage when the queen cells will be sealed. Features of the process depend on personal preferences and goals. Only smooth and large queen cells should remain, and small and uneven specimens are considered marriage, so you need to get rid of them.
It is necessary to select mature mother liquors the day before their release. To be safe, they should be placed in cells, which allows you to save the remaining individuals when the first one comes out.
After the conclusion of mature mother liquors in the cells, there are several options:
- to form layering from the family-teacher (the base is mature mother liquors);
- place mature individuals in uterine-free bee colonies (layering);
- withstand queen cells before the release of infertile individuals.
Cells should be used only for mature mother liquor at the exit. If you apply them too soon, there is a risk of damaging the development of the uterus, as their heating is complicated. This factor is especially important in the spring.
An excellent option is to divide the kindergarten family into layers, each of which is provided with a mother liquor. The uterus was brought up by these bees, therefore it is extremely rare for them to be rejected.
To determine the mother liquors at the desired points, it is necessary to remove them together with the cells on the holders for the bowls. To do this, the holder must be taken by the shoulders, which will also be a support when installing queen cells between the frames.
Monitoring the release of the uterus, its reception and oviposition
Control measures allow us to evaluate the quality of the resulting offspring, as well as the success of its basic functions. When placing uterus in small nucleus families, it is worth remembering that the flyby will pass faster.
Watch the video tutorial on using the Nicot system to output queen bees:
You can make the Nikot system yourself. To do this, you can use a plywood board or plastic. The thickness of the material should be 10-15 mm. The standard size of the cartridge is 248.4 x 174.5 x 108 cm. The base must be marked and holes made: 11 in the horizontal row and 10 in the vertical row.
Be sure to carry out the separation grid and cover, in which there should be holes with plugs. Bowls and holders can be purchased separately or do it yourself. For pans, wax and a suitable form of wood are used. This preform must be dipped in water, then in molten wax - repeat the algorithm another 1-2 times. From the blank, then remove the resulting bowl - the process takes a matter of seconds.
Watch the video in which Nikot's DIY system is presented:
Cleansing the system and then replanting the uterus into the cassette
Honeycomb Nicot reusable. A prerequisite is its purification. This process is carried out before the uterus is planted, as well as after prolonged storage of an unexploited structure.
The system is cleared according to the following algorithm:
- Fix the honeycomb in the frame - the bowls should be installed.
- Remove the separation grille.
- Treat honeycomb with honey (full of dewdrops).
- Put the honeycomb in the bee family, which is planned to be used as a mother.
- The bees themselves will clean and polish the honeycomb, it is advisable to leave the structure for this purpose in a brood nest for at least a day.
Such a procedure, in addition to cleaning and polishing the structure, has another meaning. During operation, the bees get used to the honeycomb, which is foreign in the nest. The system absorbs the smell of a bee's nest and warms up to its temperature. This greatly facilitates the process of replanting the uterus.
The uterus is seated in the cassette after cleansing. To do this, it is better to use a cell so as not to damage the insect. Before catching the uterus, put on the cassette a separation grid and remove the plug, and then:
- Substitute the uterus box to the hole in the separator grill.
- After the uterus enters the honeycomb, close the plug.
- Check the tightness of the grating-separator to the front wall and the cover to the back of the structure - if there are gaps, there is a risk of the uterus running off.
- Install the frame with the cartridge in the nest to the open brood - there should be enough distance to the next cell so that the bees can pass.
The free movement of bees between the honeycombs is necessary for feeding the uterus - working individuals calmly pass to it through the grating-separator. The uterus itself is laying eggs at this time.
It is recommended to leave the uterus in a sauté for a day, but several times during this time the process should be controlled - several hours may be enough to plant the desired number of eggs. The first control should be carried out after 4 hours - in the absence of scarlet or a small number of eggs, wait a day.
If the honeycomb is successful, the uterus must be released, and the frame with the cassette left to ripen - after 3 days, one-day larvae will appear, the bowls with which move to the grafting frame.
The Nikot system is a fairly simple design that can be made with your own hands. It provides the removal of the uterus with certain advantages. The use of such a system is not difficult, therefore it is suitable even for beginners in beekeeping.