Potato “Gala” is called one of the most promising species, which announced itself on the market 11 years ago. It is actively grown in the Yaroslavl, Tver, Vologda, Kostroma, Novgorod, Pskov, Kaliningrad regions. The main advantages: early ripening, immunity to diseases, a mild taste, the preservation of all qualities while maintaining. In 2013, he was recognized as a sales leader.
This variety was developed by German scientists, which strengthened adaptability to any climate. In Russia, entered in the register in 2008.
Modern scientists are constantly developing new varieties. Today, about 40 private enterprises are engaged in improvement, mainly in the Baltic regions.
The genetic bank finances the state, as well as research and equipment development. When developing the "Gala" paid attention to:
- disease resistance;
- phytosanitary inspection;
- taste qualities;
- processing methods;
- suitability for a particular area.
Description and qualities
This variety belongs to the canteens, very resistant to mechanical damage, which makes it easy and convenient to transport and mechanized harvesting.
Features of the Gala potato are given in the table:
|Shoots||Semi-straight, small height. With large leaves, have a rich green color. The edges are wavy.|
|Tuber size||Length - up to 8 cm, width up to 6 cm|
|Corolla inflorescences||White, medium sized.|
|Tubers||Small, optimal weight - 71-120 grams.|
|The form||Round, much less often - oval.|
|Skin||Yellowish, medium thickness.|
|Pulp||Pale yellow, occasionally - a saturated shade. Dense, fibrous. A low amount of starch and a large amount of carotene, when cooking does not change color.|
|Taste||It is a table grade. During the tasting, a rating of 9 out of 10 was assigned.|
Potatoes do not deteriorate and do not lose their properties under standard storage conditions. This makes it a priority in growing or buying. The pulp is rich in starch, its indicator is 11-13% of the total weight. It does not lose color, qualities and properties during cooking, retains its shape. Considered a dietary potato, due to its high carotene content, it is perfect for salads or as an independent dish.
Pros and cons of the variety
Why is this potato variety so good? The list is long, but the main points should be listed separately:
- Not capricious in growing. Potato "Gala" grows well in almost any climatic zone of the country. Its ripening time allows you to get a very large number of tubers, even at low temperatures during the growing season of potatoes.
- Resistance to viruses. It does not require special chemical treatment.
- Ripening period. The first tubers can be digged 65-80 days after they have been planted. You can really get a full crop in two months.
- High yield. Potato brings a really impressive result - 263 kg / ha.
- High quality taste, confirmed by world tasters.
"Gala" was grown specifically for a specific soil and climate, but adapts to any conditions. It does not lose its yield, even if it was placed in sandy soil with a low amount of humus. This variety is highly praised by summer residents and farmers because of high yields and unpretentiousness.
Positive reviews suggest that there are no practical flaws in potatoes. Of these, only two can be noted:
- Do not delay with the collection of tubers. The quality of potatoes is reduced.
- Exposure to late blight, which appears with excess moisture and at low temperatures. Unfortunately, such conditions are common in many areas of our country.
Separately, it is worth noting the healing ability of the Gala potato. In folk medicine, juice is used for:
- heart and kidney diseases;
- gastric ulcer and gastritis;
- restoration of metabolism;
- burns and skin ailments;
- poisoning with plant poisons.
This variety is highly valued for its high potassium content: 500 g per 100 g of tuber, in composition it is close to bread, in vitamins - to greens.
Contains all amino acids needed by the human body.
Potato Gala, in the process of growing it, requires special attention. It is important to properly prepare the seed, choose the time for planting, regularly water and feed.
For planting, exclusively healthy tubers are ideal, the size of which is no more than 3 cm in diameter. The larger the potato, the more it will retain the availability of nutrients, which means that the root system will develop much better. It is on it that the root tubers will grow.
In order for the seed material to yield the maximum yield, it is recommended to conduct some preparation.
- Before planting seeds, they must be taken out for germination in a warm, bright place. Try to make sure that they get sunlight. This will allow the peel to become coarser and slightly greener, which is an excellent growth stimulator.
- Ultraviolet rays perform sterilization very well. Bacteria and other microorganisms disappear from a long stay of seeds under the sun.
- Pick tubers whose sprouts are up to 1 cm long. If they are longer, there is a risk of breaking them during planting.
- If possible, it is recommended to sprinkle the tubers with wood ash.
- Planting time is the best to process seeds from pests. If you do this later, there is a risk of damaging the tops.
"Gala" loves uniform hydration, grows well under the guise of a film.
The choice of time and place of landing
It is extremely difficult to determine the exact landing time, given the characteristics of different regions and sometimes climatic conditions. Do not plant tubers in unheated ground. Under such conditions, they will not rise early, staying in cold land is fraught with loss of yield and complete rotting of seeds.
When choosing a soil, a light, sandy loam soil, which contains a plentiful amount of organic fertilizers, will be an excellent option. In heavy soil, tubers do not develop well, as they make much more niches and yield more tubers, but much smaller and irregular shapes.
For a more reliable development of potatoes in heavy soil conditions, it is recommended:
- Add river sand to the soil.
- Create organic fertilizers. In the absence of such, under the autumn plowing add straw, mowed grass, tops, which remained from last year's crop.
- Trying to do this during the autumn plowing, since in the spring it is impossible to carry out such a procedure because of the long process of fertilizer formation.
Features of planting and care
When landing, the following conditions must be observed:
- Keep a distance between tubers of at least 60-70 centimeters, in rows - a distance of 50-60 centimeters.
- Do not plant tubers close together. This variety needs a large area for quality growth. Close-planted seeds will conflict with each other, interfering with development.
- Do not plant several potatoes in one well. This will significantly reduce the quality of the fruits of the bush and will not bring a large crop.
- The depth of the hole should be about 13-15 centimeters (half a spade).
An important aspect in the process of care is watering potatoes. The variety itself is intolerant to moisture, often sick when growing near water bodies.
- At the end of planting, it is necessary to spend from one to two liters of water on each bush.
- In hot weather, it is recommended to maintain moderate watering, spending on the bush from one to one and a half liters of water.
- You can resort to drip irrigation, spending a similar amount of liquid.
Under certain conditions, the quality and quantity of the crop will increase the earthing up. Hilling is the raking of soil to a plant in the form of a hill. Some important tips:
- You need to plant in prepared ridges, the height of which does not exceed 20 cm.
- When creating such shafts, it is desirable to have specialized equipment available.
- Properly fill the stems of the bushes, surrounding the earth from all sides in order to achieve maximum effect.
- Monitor the development of potatoes. During growth, the root system is damaged, which can provoke a stressful situation for the plant and reduce yield.
- Planting potatoes in already cut ridges will simplify tuber development. The root system will not be damaged and will continue to fully develop.
During the growing season, you need to carry out two hills:
- The first one. After the mass rise of the bushes.
- The second one. After major watering.
Keep track of weather conditions. If the soil warms up more than 25 degrees, and the air temperature is not lower than 30, it is better not to carry out the earthing up. Under such conditions, it is worth loosening the surface and getting rid of weeds.
Potato top dressing during the growing season is very important. This process is delicate and requires caution. It is strictly forbidden to physically introduce organic matter, care must be taken when adding mineral fertilizers, since there is a risk of not calculating the volumes and dosage.
Features of the feeding:
- In the autumn, when preparing the site for future planting. Use 5-7 kilograms of rotted manure, 15 grams of potassium sulfate per 1 square meter. The mixture is placed in the soil to a depth of not more than 15 centimeters.
- In the spring, before planting potatoes. For 1 square meter is half a bucket of peat manure or compost. 30 grams of nitrophosphate, 20 grams of ammonium nitrate and 20 grams of potassium sulfate are added. All this mixture is placed in the soil.
- In the growing season, before hilling. Pour a square of the soil with a solution: 0.5 buckets of water by the standards of one to ten, with the addition of litter. After applying fertilizers to the soil, plentiful watering is carried out, the cost of a bush is from 1.5 to 2 liters of water.
Diseases and Pests
Potatoes of the Gala variety have excellent resistance to disease, but safety measures and pest protection are still necessary. Damage is divided into several types.
1. Diseases caused by pathogenic fungi are among the most dangerous:
2. Diseases caused by technical damage:
- darkening of the pulp of tubers;
3. Damage from pests :
- caterpillar scoop;
- Maybug larvae;
- potato moth.
All these diseases are known, there are proven methods to combat them. Farmers recommend drugs:
Serious problems arise only with bears and wireworms. Since it is almost impossible to overcome them, it is recommended to change the landing site in order to deprive beetles of food, forcing them to disappear from their homes.
This variety bears fruit well for about 6 years, but there are some nuances that are worth considering. If ordinary varieties grow on neighboring beds, viruses can cross along with the aphids. Such potatoes can be eaten, but not planted.
How to distinguish affected bushes:
- Inspect the leaves, when the plants grow to 10-15 cm, patients will be with twisted leaves.
- Virus bushes have fewer tubers.
The weak point of “Gala” is susceptibility to fungus or rhizoctonia, when roots, stems and sprouts suffer. Dark lumps appear on the tubers, brown sores on the shoots. Such potatoes are poorly developed, wilted. Infection can occur through soil or diseased tubers. Simple precautions will help to avoid this misfortune:
- There should be no crust on the soil.
- Treat the tubers with a solution of boric acid.
- Treat the emerged seedlings with Zircon: 300 ml per bucket of water.
- If there is still an infection, you need to treat the potatoes with Kuprosat fungicide: 25-50 g per bucket of water. Repeat after 10 days.
Do not add chemicals 3 weeks before harvesting!
Harvesting and storage features
Harvesting can be done after 80 days of cultivation. It is necessary to mow the tops before harvesting. If there is a cold climate in the region, it is cleaned two weeks before collection. This allows not only to stop the growth of tubers, but also to form a strong skin. Such durability guarantees a long stay, the cellar is the best option.
Keep the potatoes in a dry place, at a temperature of about 5 degrees heat and high humidity. Select only strong tubers. More about proper storage of potatoes is written here .
With proper care from 1 hectare, you can collect up to 400-600 centners.
Potato “Gala” collected a lot of both positive and negative reviews, but there are more plus ones. The main complaints and praises of farmers.
Vitaliy, Rostov region.
I tried to land the "Gala". I am pleased that the variety is medium-early, disease-resistant and quite tasty. Even in the driest months - a good harvest, although in the rainy months it is very good. It is stored well.
Vladimir, Stavropol Territory.
This potato is well stored, easy to clean. Of the minuses - no taste, a little dry, too boiled. Bought on the advice of neighbors, but not very satisfied.
Valeria, Vladimir region.
I drew attention to the "Gala", because it is not starchy, I do not like it when it is very boiled. But the potatoes are very dry. I tried to fry - turned into porridge, cooked - dry, no matter how much oil was put. Slightly underdone, in general resembles glass. Like fries - oil eats a lot, dryness remains. Unless it’s good for soup.
Peter, Voronezh region.
I liked the "Gala." Tasty and lots. I can’t note the cons, it’s a very productive variety, I take up to 20 potatoes from the bush, it was even 40 once. True, I’m capricious, she likes watering, warmth and fertilizers, without them you will get only small tubers. Harvesting is best done in October. I think it’s worth a lot to try.
Anna, Kirov region.
I bought "Gala" as an early variety, but it seemed that it was late. If you generously fertilize and water, it matures earlier, but I am not a supporter of the swelling of chemicals. But I liked the taste.
"Gala" is one of the earliest varieties of potatoes. The full ripening period is from 60 to 80 days, from the moment the seeds are planted in the ground. Due to its abilities, this potato is an ideal choice for those who want to grow this crop in the middle lane.