The black-fire rabbit can also be called “fire-bomb” is considered one of the most beautiful and unique breeds in the whole world. The animals have an interesting and slightly unusual color. Features of care are the same as for the rest of the species. But the character is not the most calm, so breeders should know how to properly find an approach to it.
The described breed originates in the 19th century. In the 1880th year, meticulous British were able to breed a completely new and truly unique breed. To obtain this species, silver, Dutch, wild rabbits and Belgian hares were used.
The first representatives of the species showed an evil character, were quite aggressive, and also turned out to be very small. Then scientists crossed the animals with the Belgian giants, who had a calm and flexible disposition, as well as quite large sizes.
The result was a beautiful and active animal. The body size is average, the meat is tender, juicy and dietary, is of high quality.
Description of the black fire rabbit
Today it is quite problematic to meet purebred representatives of the species on the territory of Russia. To be completely sure that the animal belongs to a certain species, it is worth familiarizing yourself with the main characteristics and external data of the described species.
It is extremely rare to meet a purebred Briton. If there is a desire to acquire true “fire-flames”, consider the following characteristics:
- the body is small, stocky and dense;
- narrow chest, powerful legs, straight back;
- the head is small and neat;
- the length of the ears is 8-11 cm, stand straight;
- the eyes may be brown, but if the primary color has a blue tint, they may be blue;
- the average weight of an adult animal is 3 kg, in rare cases, more than 5 kg.
Varieties of color
The main color is black-fiery, however, it is customary to carry out the separation of tones:
- The lower region of the head, the chest, the area around the eyes, the stomach, the bottom of the tail, the inside of the legs, the wedge on the back of the head, and the outline of the ears should be yellowish.
- Black should be the upper region of the head, the top of the ears, the lower back, back, croup, the outer part of the legs, the top of the tail.
According to German standards, this breed is divided into such subspecies: -
- blue ones.
Black-fire rabbit color "black"
Black-fire rabbit squirrel color
Black-fire rabbit Havanna
Black-fire rabbit color "blue"
If the fur of the animal has white spots - this is the marriage of the breed. It is better not to acquire such an animal, especially if it is planned to use it for further breeding.
The described species of rabbits can be used to obtain meat. The average weight of an adult animal is 2.5-3.5 kg, but there are also record numbers - more than 5 kg. The meat is of great value, because it is incredibly tasty, delicate, juicy, and most importantly, dietary.
The skin is covered with soft and delicate fur, it can be medium or small in size. They are widely used during the production of various fur products, while their repainting is not carried out. This product is in great demand.
The animals are very active and have a bright temperament. Under the condition of raising rabbits for exhibitions, their training and education takes a lot of time. The animals have a mild character, but sometimes aggression is manifested.
Maintenance and care
The described breed does not require any special conditions of detention or special breeding. Most importantly, animals can not be kept in pits, otherwise the quality of the fur will deteriorate greatly.
You can buy ready-made cells or make them yourself using improvised materials. It is important that the animals feel as comfortable as possible in them. Cages should also meet simple hygiene standards and the needs of rabbits.
Arrange young individuals along the walls, in the middle stir adult animals that have reached puberty. If necessary, it has the possibility of tiered placement of cells.
Divide the aviaries into two parts:
- the first bright, in which all animals can be;
- the second should be smaller, warmer and slightly darker - there should be females and their offspring.
Be sure to equip each cage with feeders with drinking bowls, lay a layer of hay with grass on the floor. Animals must have free access to food and water at any time. Do not forget to regularly clean and clean the cages, which will help maintain optimal health and the beauty of animal fur coats.
Rabbits of the described breed have the same taste preferences as other animals. There are no features, it is enough to adhere to the following recommendations:
- females after childbirth need more feed;
- per day, the rabbit who feeds the offspring can produce about 180 mg of milk, so increase her diet three times;
- add more fresh herbs to the diet;
- in the cold season, give the animals root crops, silage, hay, potatoes;
- increase the volume of concentrates by 70%.
The rabbits menu should contain:
- green food - cereals, vegetable tops, wild herbs;
- roughage, as throughout the life of animals the teeth continue to grow - give dry hay and dry branches;
- succulent feed - for example, root crops;
- concentrated feed, as they are very nutritious and saturate the animal organism with all the necessary substances;
- Vitamin with mineral supplements - give in February and March, when the diet of animals becomes quite poor and limited;
- standard nutrition should include fish oil, bone meal, chalk.
Breeding and reproduction
Having reached 6 months of age, the females become sexually mature and can be mated. If the rabbit begins to behave uneasily, bites, becomes aggressive, tries to get out of the cage, the time has come to hook the male to it. If the female becomes calmer, then fertilization has been successful.
Read about rabbit mating here .
After 1.5 months, feel the rabbit’s stomach, but very carefully so as not to injure the babies. The appearance of a chain of dense balls in the lower abdomen is a sign of an early birth, which will occur in about 10-14 days.
Engage in the preparation of the mother liquor - put any box inside the cell. The entrance should be round and remind a hole. It is important that the mother liquor is warm, dark and dry. In such conditions, the females will feel comfortable and calm. Make a removable roof in the queen cell, which will help to control the rabbit and young animals.
Females become beautiful mothers, and with great care take care of the offspring from the first minutes of birth - they lick, cover with down, feed with milk. In one litter, in most cases, there are about 6-7 rabbits. Give the female more nutrition, which will increase lactation.
Advantages and disadvantages of the black-fire rabbit
The main advantages of the representatives of this breed are the following qualities:
- tasty, tender, dietary meat;
- beautiful and soft fur;
- there is a great demand for skins;
- females are very prolific and ready for mating as early as 5 months.
There are some disadvantages:
- small animals;
- a small amount of meat and small skins.
The video below provides an overview of the black-fire rabbit:
Breeding representatives of this breed can be a good and profitable business. Despite the small weight of the animals, the meat is incredibly tasty and healthy, so it is highly appreciated. Skins are also in great demand, as the fur has an unusual and interesting coloring. Even during the production of fur products, skins do not go through the dyeing procedure.
If you need advice on how to make a rabbit skin properly at home, then this article is here .
Alina, 35 years old, engineer, Moscow.
For a long time they could not choose which breed of rabbits to take for keeping at home. We opted for a "fire-bomb" - the animal has compact dimensions, not picky, eats everything, quite calm and active. She feels well in a cage, periodically letting out walk around the apartment.
Stepan, 25 years old, beginner farmer, Voronezh.
This breed has become a real find. It does not require special care, one female leads 5-6 rabbits, grow quickly. For sale is both delicious and dietary meat, as well as a beautiful skin.
Black-fire rabbits are one of the most prominent representatives of the breeds that are bred for both meat and fur. They become real favorites for most farmers, because they require minimal care, but are able to bring good care. They become wonderful pets, have a playful character and attractive appearance.