Various frame manipulations are an integral part of beekeeping. To facilitate such actions, you can use a special box for transferring frames, which is called ramonos. The design can be made independently. There are certain requirements for it and operating rules.
To make the ramonos easy and convenient to use, the design must meet certain requirements:
- lightness - a heavy box will be impossible to operate, so it should be small (usually 6-8 frames) and made of light material (usually plywood);
- certain sizes - they must correspond to the size of the frames used in the apiary;
- multifunctionality - in addition to moving frames, the design can be used for catching swarms;
- ease of carrying - it is necessary to equip the box with handles, a belt;
- moisture resistance - this property is ensured by impregnation with drying oil, in addition, it increases the wear resistance of the product.
Ramonos can be used even for keeping insects, but only for a short time. This option allows you to replace a special swarm, in the darkness of which the bees are very worried.
Making a DIY box for carrying frames
Making ramonos is easy. The dimensions of the structure depend on how many frames it is intended to carry. More often perform the product on 6 frames. Its optimal length is 47 cm, width - 30 cm, height - 35 cm (always leave a margin of 5 cm). Internal parameters are calculated according to the width of the frames used and their number. If the design should accommodate 6 frames 3.7 cm wide, then its width inside should be 22.2 cm (6x3.7).
For the manufacture of ramonos need the following materials and tools:
- plywood or boards - for the bottom and cover 4 mm thick;
- hinges for a cover;
- screwdriver or drill (you can do with a screwdriver);
- wood screws;
- lock for cover;
- handles and carrying strap.
The manufacture of ramonos is carried out according to the following algorithm:
- Saw the components: front, back, ends, bottom and cover.
- Attach a rail on the inside of the front and rear walls - it will serve as folds for the frames. 1.5 cm should be retreated from the top edge. Both walls are made according to one algorithm.
- The side walls are also reinforced with slats.
- On the lid from the inside, fasten the rails around the perimeter.
- Connect the components of the structure. The bottom is a simple piece of plywood, but you can optionally make legs.
- Make ventilation holes in the housing. Their sizes depend on how the ramonos will be operated. The openings can be covered with a fine mesh or movable plugs can be provided.
- Connect the back of the product with the lid using hinges.
- Attach a lock to the cover.
- Secure handles and carrying strap. The belt can be attached to the cover of the structure, but it is more convenient and reliable to use the ends of the ramonos for fastening. The carrying strap should be strong enough, but not too rigid, otherwise it will rub your shoulder.
- Soak the finished product with linseed oil. This stage, if desired, can be the second, if it is more convenient to process the components of the structure immediately after their cutting.
Summer lettuce can be performed in different ways - at one of the ends or at the front. A plug should be provided for the tap hole. One of the convenient options is to attach on the opposite sides two small slats with grooves and insert a suitable piece of plywood that can be shifted to the side.
The design of a self-made ramonos with 12 frames is presented in this video:
Ramonos for two
For large-scale work in the apiary, a more voluminous design should be used, in which 20-22 frames can fit. The dimensions of such a product are 90x80 cm. The structure is quite voluminous, therefore it should be operated together.
Making ramonos for two is carried out according to the standard algorithm, but with some features. One of them is the thickness of the material used. The design is voluminous, therefore, its weight with the frames will be rather big. This increases the requirements for the materials used. You can make the basis of thick planks, and use plywood for lining.
It is recommended to connect the details of the ramonos for two with the help of nails. Fasten the side strips and walls with screws. Due to the weight and size of the structure, its handles and carrying strap should also be of increased strength.
An obligatory step for the manufacture of ramonos for two is the impregnation of the finished product with linseed oil or its components separately.
Rules for use and care of the product
Ramonos - the design is quite simple, but requires some care:
- Disinfection. It should be carried out after each operation of the structure.
- Ventilation. Ramonos needs to be aired not only before the first operation, but also in the future. Bees are very sensitive to odors.
- Before operating the ramonos, it is recommended to cover it with herbs that are attractive to bees.
- Ramonos is a wood product, so you need to store it accordingly. The storage location should be dry enough; strong fluctuations in humidity and temperature should be avoided.
- Use when swarming. In this case, you need to put a couple of frames with sushi in the ramonos, and then shake off the bees. The cover of the design and the tap hole are sure to close. Ramonos is left in a cool place overnight. Properly organized ventilation will provide insects with the air they need, as well as reduce the temperature inside the ramonos - this has a calming effect on insects.
Ramonos is often called a working or universal box. This design in the apiary is very convenient and greatly facilitates a number of works. You can make it yourself - all materials and actions are simple. Correctly executed design provides its multifunctionality.