Ostrich eggs are an expensive product that must be handled carefully and correctly. The collection, storage, sorting and transportation of eggs must be carried out in accordance with all the rules that every farmer should know. After all, even minimal deviations from the norms can lead to the loss of a valuable copy.
When can I take eggs from ostriches?
Ostrich eggs are recommended to be taken from the nest almost immediately after it has been laid. Therefore, it is very important to check the nests as often as possible. Moreover, the frequent collection of eggs stimulates the female ostrich to continue oviposition, thus it compensates for the lost.
However, it is worth considering the fact that in no case should collection be made while the female is in the nest. This can injure the bird at a psychological level, it is better to wait until it leaves the nest and start collecting without attracting the attention of the bird.
An egg left in the nest for a long time is at risk of the development of pathogenic bacteria on the surface of the shell, as well as diseases of the embryo. In addition, if the masonry is left in direct sunlight, this can lead to the death of the embryo.
In order to correctly collect eggs from the nest, you must adhere to the following rules:
- Care must be taken to distract the birds while the eggs are being collected.
- The collector must wash his hands with warm water and disinfectant soap before starting work.
- Folded collected specimens should be in a special basket or container.
- In the process, you can not do sharp manipulations with the eggs, shake them.
- After collection, each specimen needs to be washed, dried and inspected.
Handling and disinfection before storage
It is important that the eggs are clean, if the degree of contamination is high, then the product must be washed. And here, too, it is worth adhering to some rules:
- Processing of eggs is carried out before storage.
- Before the procedure, disinfect the hands with iodine, as well as before contact with each individual instance.
- For washing, warm water is used, its temperature should be at least 40 ° C. In no case do not use cold water, since if the temperature of the contents of the egg is higher than the external liquid medium, then it begins to wrinkle. What is the prerequisite for the penetration of microorganisms into the product.
- If the procedure is carried out in a bowl, and not under a flowing stream, after each instance, change the water, washing the container well.
- Chlorine or iodine-containing sanitary agent is added to the water.
- Do not use a rag during washing, as this increases the degree of contamination.
- Contamination does not scrape from the surface, as this can damage the outer layer of the shell and lead to the penetration of microorganisms inside.
- The duration of the procedure is 2-3 minutes.
- After washing, clean copies are laid out on a natural cloth and left to dry completely.
Compliance with sanitary standards when keeping birds minimizes the risk of infection on the surface of the egg, as well as its penetration inside.
When storing ostrich eggs, they maintain a certain temperature and humidity level. Therefore, experienced poultry farmers equip the room with special measuring instruments. Also the place should be dry and dark.
Optimum humidity and temperature
It is recommended to provide a low level of moisture during storage of the product, this is about 30-40%. Temperature - not less than 13 ° С, not more than 18 ° С.
Egg positioning and rolling
Regarding the position of eggs during storage, experts did not come to a consensus. Some argue that ostrich eggs should be kept strictly in a horizontal position, and some in a vertical, with a blunt end up. Farmers empirically find a method that seems to them more effective.
You can also turn eggs over at different intervals, depending on the storage time. So, if the product is stored for several days, then it can be turned over every day, if the shelf life is about 10 days, you can reduce the intensity of turning up to 1 time in 3 days.
At room temperature, the egg can survive up to 30 days if the shell is not damaged.
In the refrigerator at a temperature of +2 to -2 C ° and a relative humidity of 85 to 88%, the shelf life increases significantly - up to 5-7 months.
Shelf life of eggs before incubation is 1 week, pre-incubation storage is allowed for 10 days, but only at a temperature of 15-18 ° C, relative humidity - 40%.
Video: how to choose a good ostrich egg
We recommend that you watch the report where the farmer talks about collecting, storing and the rules for choosing a good ostrich egg:
How to transport an ostrich egg?
In order to ensure the safe transportation of ostrich eggs, it is necessary to adhere to the following recommendations:
- Select a special box, wipe it with a dry cloth.
- Each egg is wrapped with packaging rubber, cotton or rubberized packaging material.
- Stack with a blunt end up.
- The box is placed on anti-vibration rubber to avoid shock when driving.
- The lid of the box is painted white, especially if it takes a long time to transport, to reflect sunlight.
Do I need to label an egg?
Farmers who are seriously involved in ostrich farming know that bird eggs must be labeled to know exactly when the product was harvested.
Marking of eggs is done with a simple pencil. On the shell of each instance, at the sharp end, mark the date of collection and section number. The same information under a serial number is entered in a special journal.
So, collecting and storing ostrich eggs is a painstaking process that requires certain knowledge, skills and an integrated approach. Only if all the requirements are met will it be possible to preserve a valuable product.