Lukhovitsky cucumbers - a twofold concept. In the first case, this is a number of different varieties that are cultivated in the Moscow region (the city of Lukhovitsy), in the second - this is a separate breeding variety hybrid of class F1. He was entered in the state register in 2006 and is an officially registered originator.
Description of Lukhovitsky cucumbers
The city of the same name is located in the floodplain of the Oka and is considered the capital of cucumbers, since it is here that a huge number of popular varieties are grown:
- Libelle has a yield of up to 8 kg per 1 sq. Km. m and a lot of ovaries on one bush.
- Graceful: productivity - 6-7 kg, ripening period - average.
- Mirinda: fruiting corresponds to the previous variety, differs in multiple lateral processes.
- Salinas: bunch type of ovaries, productivity - 8-9 kg per 1 sq. Km. m
- Adam: fruiting - 10 kg. Feature - flowers are mainly female.
- Vyaznikovsky: cucumber size reaches 10-11 cm, the whip - shortened.
- Muromsky: the yield is weak (3-4 kg), but resistant to all diseases.
Grade cucumber Graceful
There is also the Yegoryevsky variety, which is based on various types of cucumbers, including the Lukhovitsky.
Qualities that are present in all Lukhovitsky varieties:
- resistance to many diseases;
- quick adaptation to cold weather;
- thinness of the skin;
- lack of bitterness;
- small sizes (gherkins);
- no voids;
- increased crunch;
- universality of application;
- unpretentiousness of leaving.
Characteristic features of the hybrid Lukhovitsky:
- High yield: from one plant they take 8-10 kg, that is, if only 3 bushes are planted per square meter, then you can collect up to 22-28 kg of fruits (more in the greenhouse).
- Ripening period depends on growing conditions. The first seedlings are detected a week after sowing seeds. After this, biological ripeness occurs on 40-45 days. On the open ground, crops can be harvested after June 12th, and in the greenhouse a couple of weeks earlier.
- The plant is not afraid of high humidity and lack of light, but does not tolerate wind.
- Pollination is not required, since purely female flowers are present.
- Ovaries form in bundles.
- Description of the fruits: the color is dark green, there are pimples of a light tone. On the sides are not pronounced stripes. Weight is 90-100 grams, length - 10-12 cm, no wax coating. Feature - there are no overgrowths, therefore all fruits are of the same size. The peel is characterized by elasticity and thinness; during heat treatment it is not damaged. Pulp - compacted with small grains, but juicy. There is no acid or bitterness.
- Purpose - consumption in the form of salads, canning, pickling, pickles.
- Transportability is excellent, so the variety is suitable for commercial purposes (after collection for 5 days, the appearance does not change).
- Characteristics of the bushes: the minimum number of lateral processes, the power of the trunk, which is not limited in growth, so you can grow a bush in a vertical way.
Advantages and disadvantages
- compactness and uniformity of form;
- the same size;
- highest level of productivity;
- crunch persists after heat treatment;
- early ripening;
- resistance to the bulk of diseases;
- the ability to plant seeds in open soil or immediately in the greenhouse;
- excellent keeping quality;
- excellent taste.
Among the shortcomings, it is worth noting the demand for care, so it will be difficult for beginners to get a decent harvest in the first year.
Features of planting and care
Lukhovitsky hybrid loves high humidity, warm temperatures and oily soil. These indicators are the key to high productivity.
It is not required to specially prepare seed material, since grains are sold already in processed form. Additionally, you can place the seeds in a weak solution of manganese or warm water.
Soil selection and preparation
The soil for Lukhovitsky cucumber should be oily. Prepare it, starting in the fall:
- In the autumn, you need to dig trenches (depth 40 cm) for future beds. So that in the spring they can be easily found, each groove should be fenced with wooden sides. Humus is also brought in and filled with soil.
- In spring, warm beds are formed in which seeds or seedlings are sown. Stages of work:
- scald with boiling water trenches;
- take out the soil with humus;
- line a plastic film at the bottom with which to pour urea and sawdust (height 11-12 cm);
- warm up manure to 55 degrees, fill it up from above;
- lay out the soil;
- cover with a dark film;
- after 4 days, make holes in the upper film in those places where the seed material or seedlings will be laid.
The roots of the hybrid are located in the surface layers of the earth. That is why the film is used at the bottom of the trenches. If the seedling method of cultivation is used, then sowing is carried out approximately in April, diving in open ground after May 20th or early June. Planting seeds on the garden is carried out at the end of the month of May.
Seedling method of cultivation and features of the content in the greenhouse
For seedlings, the seed material is laid in peat briquettes measuring 10 x 10 cm. This is necessary so that the weak root system is not damaged when diving into open soil. Seeds are grown in greenhouse conditions. To do this, do the following:
- Lay straw at the bottom of the greenhouse to maintain optimal temperature conditions.
- Above ground is mixed with humus and peat.
- Next, seeds are laid in a peat briquette or pot 5 cm deep, which are sprinkled with soil.
- The greenhouse is covered with a film in 2 layers.
Under such conditions, seedlings should be 30-45 days, so the planting of seed material is carried out when the snow has not completely melted.
- When the outside temperature stabilizes, in the daytime the film opens and closes again at night.
- Watering seedlings is necessary as the land dries. Too waterlogging is undesirable.
- The temperature regime in the greenhouse should not exceed +25 degrees, but also not lower than +23.
- Water the plants only with warm, standing water, preferably in the evening.
- Seedlings are necessarily fed. The first time, the usual concentration is reduced by 2 times, then it is carried out at a standard dosage. As fertilizer, you can make slurry from manure, chicken droppings or use preparations of Kemira Universal, Sudarushka.
- Seedlings when transplanted into open ground are deepened by a maximum of 20 cm.
Reckless growing method and features of the content in the open ground
What rules should be followed:
- The gap between the bushes should be 30-50 cm.
- It is advisable to tie cucumbers on trellises.
- The soil should always be moist, but not wet. And after each watering, it is advisable to mulch directly around the bush.
- The plot should be well lit.
- During planting, humus, chicken droppings or manure are poured into the wells.
- In one hole, it is advisable to lay two seeds.
- Optimum temperature of air and soil + 17-19 degrees.
- The soil needs loosening.
- Until the bushes are fully strengthened, they are covered with a dense film. At normal daytime temperatures, airing is carried out.
- When the plant begins to bear fruit, watering is done more often than during the formation of sprouts.
- As the bush grows, fertilizers must be applied (with potassium, phosphorus and nitrogen). Quite often, the universal Ammofosk remedy is used for this.
Loosening of beds is carried out very carefully, since the root system is located near the surface of the earth, which contributes to the weakening and death of the plant. The best option is mulching with organics.
Pest and Disease Control
This hybrid in very rare cases is exposed to cucumber diseases - only with a negligent attitude to the plant. The only problem that occurs is powdery mildew. It is manifested by the formation of yellow or whitish spots on the lower leaves. It looks like a raid.
Learn how to deal with pests and diseases from the video:
This disease refers to fungal infection, so the following methods of control and prevention are used:
- You can prevent infection with Bordeaux fluid or Sulfaride solution. You can use the preparations Tiovit Jet, Oksikhom, Ridomil Gold.
- To stop the spreading process: Fundazole, Fitosporin, Topsin-M, Gamair.
- Modern preparations of fungicidal action: Bayleton, Kuproksat, Cumulus, Privent.
Sulfur agents can be used for active struggle, but in this case it is undesirable to do this, since they burn the leaf part. To avoid this, it is necessary to reduce the recommended concentration of the active substance, that is, make the solution weaker.
Harvesting and storage
Harvesting the Lukhovitsky hybrid is possible every other day, but to increase the yield, let’s harvest daily. The fruits are cut with garden shears along with a small section of the stem, so that the cucumber can be stored longer. It is advisable to keep the cut fruits in the refrigerator by putting them in a plastic bag.
Konstantin, 61 years old.
First acquired Lukhovitsky hybrid when he was visiting in the Moscow region. I liked it very much, that's why I have been growing it for about 8 years now. I try to plant seeds immediately in the ground, because I can’t transplant all the seedling bushes without damaging the root system. I also liked Muromsky from Lukhovitsky varieties. The taste is also excellent, the aroma is incomparable, the crunch persists even after canning.
Nadezhda, 43 years old.
I have been buying Lukhovitsky cucumber for 3 years. In the first year of cultivation, I was not able to get a good result. Well, they warned me that it’s difficult for beginners to cope with. But then I got used to it and now I get excellent harvests. I usually grow seedlings in open ground. It is very pleasing that the seeds are immediately laid under the film, that is, they do not need to be separately grown on the windowsill. And last year, my husband made a reliable and warm greenhouse with heating. Therefore, in winter we enjoyed cucumbers year-round. So, I recommend it. The only negative - you have to buy new seeds every year.
Lukhovitsky cucumbers have a lot of advantages. And no matter what variety or hybrid you choose, each will reveal on the positive side. You will get a decent harvest and a minimum of hassle when leaving. The main thing is to strictly comply with the requirements of agricultural technology (to prepare the soil in advance, water it in a timely manner, mulch and harvest).