Any sheep, regardless of their breed, need a haircut. This is necessary for their health and proper development. Let's figure out how to shear a sheep with a special device.
Advantages of a Shearing Machine
Sheep need to be sheared not only in order to give their wool for sale. This is, above all, a question regarding animal hygiene. After all, if you do not control the growth of the pile, it will begin to fall down, covered with dirt. Under this cover, the skin of the lamb stops breathing, and fleas and ticks appear on it, and parasites also start in the wool itself.
Directly cutting is usually done with special scissors or a clipper. If there are not so many animals, then you can mow them manually, but if a whole herd of several tens of sheep grows, it is better to use a typewriter.
What gives the use of cars:
- the process of cutting is accelerated;
- the risk of injuring animals is almost minimized, since the tool blades do not come into contact with sheep skin and do not pull the pile;
- No need to exert great physical effort;
- There are no hair breaks, which means that the structure of the coat and its quality are preserved.
Varieties of sheep shearing machines
Shearing machines are divided into two types:
- Mechanical . They are advanced scissors, only with a better blade and a comfortable handle. They can have different shapes and lengths. The most high-quality models are considered to be the French brand Ukal and the German brand Kerbl.
- Electric. In appearance, they are very similar to human hair clippers. They have improved characteristics compared to mechanical products.
Farmers with large herds often make the choice in favor of electric cars. This is due to the fact that they are more durable and significantly accelerate the process of trimming the herd.
What are the criteria for choosing a machine?
Even the best electric model can not cope with the task assigned to it if it is not chosen correctly. Let's look at what nuances you need to consider when acquiring a haircut tool.
So, you need to look at:
- Power. The speed of work and productivity depend on it, that is, the number of animals that went through the procedure per session. For example, for 50 sheep, an optimal power device is 180-220 watts.
- Ease of use and repair. Any machine requires that it be lubricated, cleaned and periodically changed parts. If the model has a complex structure, then you can perform any actions with it only by contacting specialists, while a simple assembly machine can be repaired independently.
- Knives. Their blades should be sharp and straight, without nicks. This is very important, as improper sharpening can lead to injury to the animal or spoil the coat itself. Well, if the kit comes with interchangeable knives.
- Availability of spare parts. If the device breaks down, it is often necessary to replace individual parts. At the same time, it is important that they are available, and you do not have to look for them throughout the country and abroad.
- Noise level. Since the sheep are shy creatures, a sharp noise can cause them panic, which will prevent them from mowing calmly. The best option in this case is up to 80 dB.
- The presence of a reset fuse. Due to the abundance of work, the equipment may overheat and break. A fuse protects the machine from such phenomena and thereby extends its life.
- Warranty and its duration. A guarantee is usually given by a company with a name. Warranty period may vary from 6 to 18 months. depending on the model of the machine.
- Country of the manufacturer . Today, domestic, Swiss, American and German-made cars have proven themselves well.
When choosing a haircut device, check for the availability of brand service centers in your area. And also take an interest in the presence on the market of replaceable knives and other necessary machine parts.
See in the video how to choose a machine for a sheep haircut:
Popular car models
Choosing a shearing machine for sheep, you can easily get lost in the variety of its models. Today, many companies offer a wide range of products for every income and taste. The main thing is to choose the right device.
Production Russia and the CIS
In the Russian Federation and the CIS countries, a lot of good products are produced, including devices for shearing sheep. Let's figure out the best models.
Famous CIS production models:
- power - 90 watts;
- 2200 rpm;
- 160 goals / day;
- volume - 80 dB.
|1 year||14-16 thousand rubles.|
- 2100-3000 rpm;
- 160 goals / day;
- volume - 83 dB;
- the kit has a current converter.
|1 year||about 35 thousand rubles.|
- 1,500 rpm
- 8 goals / hour;
- volume - 83 dB;
- complex assembly.
|1 year||30-35 thousand rubles|
Foreign manufacturers bring to our attention several good and reliable models. Let's get to know them in more detail.
Popular models of foreign production:
- power - 500 watts;
- 400-500 goals / season;
- 3200 rpm (you can choose 6 options);
- volume - 90 dB;
- dual cooling system.
|1 year||10-12 thousand rubles|
- power - 180 W;
- 200-250 goals / season;
- 2500 rpm
- volume - 85 dB;
- convenient handle;
- interchangeable knife in the set.
|1 year||about 22 thousand rubles|
|VS84-S||Switzerland (Chinese assembly)|
- power - 320 W;
- 50 goals / session;
- 2800 rpm;
- volume - 93 dB;
- suitable for light pile;
- has surge protection.
|1 year||6.5-7 thousand rubles.|
|Takumi F7 - Professional||Japan|
- power - 350 W;
- 350 goals / season;
- 2500 rpm
- volume - 80 dB;
- Included are 2 interchangeable knives.
|1 year||9-10 thousand rubles|
- power - 380 W;
- 300 goals / season;
- 2500 rpm
- volume - 80 dB;
- double cooling.
|18 months||about 10 thousand rubles|
Top 3 best models
Among the variety of models of cutting devices, we can distinguish those that are in special demand among consumers. These are devices of Swiss, German and Russian production.
The sheep shearing machine of the Swiss company GTS-2012 has gained considerable popularity among farmers. Its 650 W motor allows the tool to run for a long time, cutting 1,500 sheep per season. And two built-in coolers do not allow the device to overheat. The noise level produced by this machine is 80 dB, which will allow the sheep to feel calm during the haircut.
Keep in mind that there are no interchangeable knives in the kit, and original blades must be ordered. Get a machine right away with supplies. The warranty for it is a year, and the approximate cost is 7-9 thousand rubles.
Liscop profi line
Liscop Profi Line - products of the German brand. The advantages of this technique include reliability, high productivity (about 200 sheared sheep’s heads per season), ease of operation and compact size. 12 month tool warranty
MSU-200 is a well-known and widespread model of shearing machines of domestic production. Thanks to the induction motor, the device makes it possible to shear sheep 10-12 hours a day (this is about 100-160 heads).
Its power is 90 watts, and the committed number of revolutions per minute is 2100-3000. The noise level of the device is 83 dB, and the kit includes knives that can be changed by the manufacturer and re-sharpened. MSU-200 is famous for its reliability and ease of operation.
Shearing of sheep is carried out 2 times a year: in late spring - early summer, and also in late summer - early autumn. It should be warm and without sudden changes in temperature. Fine-wool animals can be sheared once a year.
During the procedure, behave calmly, otherwise your excitement will be transmitted to the animal. The room itself should be protected from wind and rain, and the wool of the sheep should be dry.
For the convenience of the process, take two helpers: to hold the sheep and clean the wool. Before the procedure itself, check the condition of the animals, clean the machine, sharpen the blades.
Rules for using the machine:
- before starting the haircut, drop a little mineral oil on the blades - you can repeat this procedure every 30 minutes;
- during operation, clean the machine of sweat and fat secretions of each animal - for half a minute lower the working machine into the laundry soap dissolved in water, soak only the knife, all other parts must remain dry;
- watch the heating of the instrument and the voltage level - if possible use a stabilizer.
Start shearing the parts of the body of the sheep from the abdomen, from which move to one of the sides and the back leg. Then treat the sternum and neck of the sheep, its back, then the second side, front legs and remaining hind leg.
During operation, try not to hold the device twice in one place. Otherwise, this will negatively affect the quality of the sheep’s hairline in the future. Shear the sheep as close to the skin as possible, but try not to injure the animal.
Carefully act in the area of the belly, scrotum and udder of the animal. These places have very sensitive skin, so it is easy to injure a sheep.
The whole process of shearing sheep can be seen in the video below:
Sheep Clipper Care
For the device to work for a long time, you need to properly care for it. This is especially true for the period immediately after the end of the haircut. Upon completion of this process:
- clean the knives from dirt and wool residues - for this, use the brush from the kit or, for lack of it, take a soft-bristled toothbrush;
- if the blades are dull, sharpen them;
- wipe the body of the machine with a soft and clean cloth;
- lubricate all working parts with engine oil;
- put on protective elements - hide the blades in the caps, and the machine in the case.
Store the tool in a dry place. Do not use unsuitable knives and sharpen blades only on special devices. Compliance with safety regulations will enable your machine to work for many years.
A shearing device is an irreplaceable thing for a sheep breeder. Regardless of the model, the machine needs proper care, and then cutting animals will not be a problem for you.