Falabella is a breed of mini-horses. They have an incredibly attractive exterior, flexible character. She becomes a true friend to those who acquire it. The horse is bold and smart, understanding and smart. Her breeding is a profitable business for breeders, aesthetic pleasure for buyers.
How did the breed appear and why does the horse look like this?
The history of the appearance of the breed does not have a specific version. There are several assumptions regarding the origin of the small Falabella horses. Some believe that this breed appeared due to a lack of substances necessary for the growth of animals. Allegedly once upon a time, simple horses fell into a deep canyon, could not get out of it. So over time, horses of short stature were born, which was subsequently preserved genetically.
It is believed that the name of the horse came from an Argentine farmer who found him in a canyon, then delivered to the ranch. The surname of the man Farabel, therefore, they began to call horses the same name. Although the farmer tried to feed the horses with fodder, this did not give any result, they remained small in stature.
The other version is slightly different, but the Falabella family is also mentioned here, which, allegedly, the leader of the Kayyak Indian tribe shared the secret of breeding mini-horses. This assumption seems highly doubtful if we take into account that in those parts the Indians were belligerent and preferred to breed war horses.
Description and characteristics of the horse
Falabella is a small horse, 50-75 centimeters high. Its weight is only 50-60 kilograms. But in the world there is an animal of this breed, weighing only 13.5 kilograms with a growth of 50 centimeters.
Horses are characterized by a small proportional body with long legs, and small limbs on the hooves. The animal has a small head, which corresponds to its small stature. Falabella has one rib and one vertebra less than a normal horse. A distinctive feature of the breed is thin skin and pleasant to the touch coat. Speckled and piebald individuals are found.
The peculiarity of the animal is friendliness, calmness and kindness. Falabella is a good-natured animal in contact with people. They are valued for possessing a sharp mind, quick learning, and being amenable to training. Animals can jump well, which helps them overcome any obstacles. Farmers often equip artificial barriers in the yard for recreational purposes and training horses.
Today, the breed is very popular among lovers of unique types of horses. Its demand is due to habits. Falabella is bred and kept not on farms, but in a private house or apartment. Besides the fact that animals are able to jump well, run for a long time at high speed - this is also about them. The breed quickly gets used to its breeder, remains loyal to him, tries to appease him, showing his abilities and skills.
Purpose of breed
Mini-horses are more decorative, they are not intended for riding. Falabella is able to drag a cart with one adult or two children. Often the animal is kept as a pet. It is so fragile and graceful that it is unlikely that anyone will dare to use it to carry out chores. In addition, the cost of such a horse is quite high (3-4 thousand dollars), due to which an animal is bred as an element of luxury and wealth.
Horses also perform in the circus arena, they are easy to train and they like to show off in front of the audience. Very often these animals are brought up by people with disabilities, which is due to the good disposition and long life expectancy - Falabella lives up to 45 years.
Breeding mini-horses is no different from keeping and caring for large relatives, the difference is only in the size of the animals. In a wooden stall, where one large horse is usually placed, 2-3 mini-horses of this breed will fit. The calm nature and friendliness allow them to get along well not only among themselves, but also with other pets.
With regard to the little horse, it is necessary to adhere to the same rules as when caring for large horses: regularly clean, bathe, clean the hooves of foreign bodies and debris. In addition, for the examination of decorative pets, it is required to call a veterinarian who will systematically examine the horses, vaccinate and deworm, taking into account their weight, in order to avoid overdoses.
A married couple shares their recommendations on caring for a Falabella breed horse. The video tells about the features of a decorative animal:
The main advantage of keeping mini-horses is the minimal feed intake. If one big horse needs 3 kilos or more balanced feed daily, then 300-400 grams per day is enough for Falabella.
Dwarf horses, like breeds of other mini-animals, are prone to obesity. For this reason, they need nutrition that is right for them. In this case, the main thing is not to overfeed the pets.
What recommendations to consider:
- Eating mini-horses is practically no different from feeding large relatives. It is important not to overfeed the miniature animal. If you feed the animal with oats in large quantities, it may experience an allergic reaction, manifested by such unpleasant symptoms as itching, eczema on the skin. Hay is fed twice a day - in the morning and in the evening.
- The diet of Falabella should consist of potatoes, cabbage, beets. Hay is used as roughage. It is permissible to add concentrates containing vitamins and minerals. It is recommended daily to give "kids" a few carrots and an apple.
- The pet is especially in need of fluid. In the summer, it is watered at least three times a day; in the winter, animals feed on snow. Horses are given water before eating.
The diet for each horse must be selected individually. For a pregnant mare, the amount of food is increased by 5-10% - she needs additional nutrients. The menu itself should be varied.
The main difference between Falabella and ordinary horses is the draw period, which lasts not 11 months, but 1.1 years. During the first year of life, the foal manages to grow to the required height, becomes independent. By the age of three, the mini-horse is considered fully developed. Initially, the growth of a newborn horse is 40 centimeters.
The first minutes after birth, little Falabella learns a new habitat, does not recognize the mother mare and begins to look for her by smell. During the meeting, there should be a man near the foal - the animal will begin to consider him a member of its family. He can rush past the passing horses, only because they attracted his attention - he will follow them. But the vigilant mare is always next to her child, and scares away everyone who approaches him.
To get acquainted with the new resident of the stable, adult horses begin to play with the baby, which contributes to the speedy adaptation. The mother especially carefully protects her baby for a month, and after 7-10 months she stops feeding him milk and unlocks her hooves from him, driving them away from her udder.
Today, mini-horses are bred as decorative pets. Favorable conditions are created for them, they are protected from diseases and attacks of other animals, they do everything to make Falabella feel comfortable.
There are several interesting facts about the horses of the Falabella breed. Below are some of them:
- A unique fact is that the Falabella has 1 vertebra and 1 rib less than other representatives of various breeds.
- Although Falabella’s height is not more than 75 cm, the animal is very active, courageous, able to jump high and run for long distances over long distances, developing excellent speed.
- Many aesthetes prefer to start such horses as pets. In addition, the advantage of the animal is the absence of unpleasant odors - horses are taught to cope with the need for a designated place.
- Falabella is prone to changing the temperature of its body. At night, they need to settle in a warm room, protected from cold and drafts, but with good ventilation and heating. The winter season is considered a real test for the breed.
- In the United States, many horse breeds are used for social work. Falabella is an animal used to help blind citizens. With the right training, such a miniature horse manages to make a good guide, distinguishing sounds, learning any commands, and even understanding traffic signs.
Falabella horses are extraordinary animals, attracting with their miniature size and complaisant character. Falabella has exceptionally positive traits and an interesting history of origin. Today it is profitable to breed such beauties.