Most varieties of cucumbers require tying for the proper formation of the bush and fruits. In the article we will consider favorable conditions for garter, as well as a large number of step-by-step methods for greenhouses and open ground.
Reasons for Garter Cucumbers
Proper garter of cucumbers plays a significant role in the subsequent development, health and fruiting of the plant. Located on the ground, long lashes of bushes are prone to decay and other diseases. Fruits in a humid environment lose their shape, get sick, may not grow to the maximum possible size.
There are many advantages and amenities to tying lashes that will help you get a good result from each bush. The main advantages include:
- Convenient organization of the place . A tied bush occupies 70% less area on the bed, allowing you to place more plants compactly.
- Ease of care. It is easier to monitor a tied plant, irrigate with fertilizers, and water. Harvesting fruits is easier because you do not need to look for them on the ground under the leaves. Cucumbers are clean and even.
- The abundance of the crop. After vertical fastening, the bush sprouts much more lashes on which new fruits are tied.
- Disease resistance. In the event that the lower branches are affected by the disease, the cucumber bush can let up fresh lashes that are healthy. Also, light and air enter the leaves and stems more easily, which helps them develop without damage.
Make some effort for a neat garter, you will see that this gives a good result and the efforts will pay off with a rich harvest.
Cucumber Garter Time
After planting the bushes, wait until they get stronger. The best period for the first tying comes when the bush reaches 30 cm in height. The trunk of the plant becomes stronger and goes into the phase of active growth. By this time, 4-5 full leaves are formed on it.
Remember that the growth of a bush without a garter after 30 cm is dangerous for the stem. It becomes difficult for the plant. This can lead to death if the stalk breaks sufficiently badly.
Do not rush to tie too young a plant. With small growth, this is not necessary. Moreover, at the moment when the bush reaches the desired height, the tying and support will have to be redone.
Features garter cucumbers in the open ground
In open ground, the lashes of bushes especially need to be tied up, if there are no fences or trees nearby, shoots spread along the ground, trying to catch on a support, many of them die.
Designs and types of tying can be different, the main rule is a soft effect. Ropes - supports should not be stretched too tight, so they can cut the delicate stem of the bush under the weight of the fruit.
When choosing a method for planting and gartering plants for your garden, be guided by the total area and number of bushes. The compactness of the fit depends on the type of structure.
If there is not enough space, but you need to place as many plants as possible, choose linear designs for yourself. They can be installed very close to each other, leaving an accessible passage between the rows.
Linear garter methods are also well used for tomatoes, and typical beds for different crops can be arranged most compactly at a short distance.
Do not use synthetic cords or jute ropes to fasten branches - they damage branches and leaves. Tapes made of old soft fabric, 1.5-2 cm wide, are perfect.
No special weather conditions are required for the first garter. The state of the soil for the installation of structures is of importance. Too wet soil after rains will not allow you to firmly install the pegs and fix their position. Arid land will make it difficult to dig.
Set aside a day of garter with natural weaving if there is a strong gusty wind outside. It is more accurate and easier to carry it out in calm weather.
A simple and understandable method is well suited for beginners, the design is simple and can be completed in a short time.
- Drive two pipes or thick metal rods into the ground at the ends of the beds. The foundations must be well fixed to withstand the tension from the bushes.
- Between the pipes fasten the tensioned ropes in several stages. Make sure that the rope tension is not too strong and does not cut the stems. Place the ropes along the entire height of the pipes, at a distance of 25 cm from each other.
- Start tying the stem from the bottom rope, growing thin shoots can be directed down. Try to place the bush vertically up, but do not tie too tightly to the support - this can damage its surface.
The advantage of this method is its simplicity. The disadvantages include the horizontal position of the ropes, having fixed at one level, the lash cannot reach the other on its own. Therefore, often on such a tying, cucumbers begin to stretch to the side, or cling to neighboring stems.
This problem can be solved by placing vertical ropes between horizontal levels. You should have a mesh structure that makes it easy to go up one level.
The second option is a simple design for attaching plants. The form of the support is set by the letter "P", for this you need not only lateral vertical foundations, but also a strong upper crossbar.
- Install the side supports. It can be metal pipes or wooden long stakes. Deepen the supports into the soil so that they are motionless and hold firmly.
- To create a top mount, you can use a thick wire. Tighten and secure it to the side pipes as firmly as possible. If a wooden base is used, a wooden beam can be used instead of wire. Fix it with nails on both sides.
- Tie a rope over the bush to the upper support and pull it down.
- Fasten the lower end of the rope to the ground with a metal rod. Bend it in half and drown it in the ground, leaving a loop for fastening the rope on top. Do not place the rod too close to the stem so as not to damage it.
The advantage of this method is its compactness - the bushes are divided among themselves, curl along the same guideline and do not grow in the horizontal direction.
In many cases, the lower end of the weaving rope is tied immediately around the base of the plant stem. This method is also possible, but be careful to pull the rope. If the end is tightened very tight, and the rope itself is in a tense state, then the bush may be damaged. Broken stems at the base will lead to drying and death.
One of the most aesthetic and comfortable methods of tying is the use of trellis mesh. Canvas mesh should be purchased in a gardening shop in advance. Before buying, determine the length of the ridges to purchase the desired section.
- To fix the mesh, you will need two vertical bases, pipes or beams. Drown them deep in the ground from the far ends of the row.
- Between the bases, pull the net from the ground itself, slightly departing from the stems of the bushes.
- Secure the mesh around the perimeter with wire.
The disadvantages of this method include the need to purchase the grid itself and some difficulty in installation. The method has much more advantages.
About how to choose a grid for cucumbers or make it yourself, read this article .
Tapestry mesh is installed for several years, it does not need to be cleaned for the winter. In the process of growth, cucumber bushes independently curl and are located on the canvas, the garter is not necessary. Periodically point the lashes in the right direction and straighten between them.
The grid method makes it easy to harvest, maintain bushes and care for them. Scourges and leaves receive enough air and light.
About how easy it is to install a grid for cucumbers, see the following video:
Modern garter methods
With the development of gardening, new methods of planting plants appear, as well as their maintenance and placement. In addition to the standard cucumber rows, try unusual garter and landing options.
The method got its name for its unusual appearance: adult bushes in such a garter resemble a tree crown strewn with cucumbers.
- Form a square bed to collect the "cucumber tree." Strengthen it with wide boards on four sides.
- Plant seedlings along the edges inside the square, place the bushes at a distance of 30-35 cm from each other.
- Take four supports made of wood or metal, drown them in the ground at the corners of the square so that in the center they are connected by their upper ends.
- Fasten the upper ends of the supports with wire, fixing their position.
- Along the entire perimeter of the resulting structure, pull the rows of ropes for which the bush will cling. Position the ropes 30-35 cm apart.
This method is aesthetic, but requires a lot of time, as well as a large amount of space for a small number of bushes. Convenience is reusable. Install a high-quality and sturdy construction, paying attention to details and fixtures, then it will last several years.
Ropes will need to be changed every season. If desired, you can use a special grid, then remove it in the fall is not necessary.
The method is well suited in a limited area. You can install a container with a plant anywhere in the site, it does not take up much space.
If you use a tall and large barrel, then it will serve as a capacity and garter. Set the barrel, fill it with soil, plant 3-4 bushes, depending on the diameter.
Garter up in this case is not necessary, cucumber lashes will fall down the barrel and bear fruit normally.
Read how to plant and grow cucumbers in a barrel in the next article .
A similar method can be applied using buckets or small jars.
- Set the container under the tree, plant 1-2 bushes in it.
- To assemble the weaving support, fasten the end of a strong rope into the ground next to the stem, then pull it through a tree branch.
- Fasten the lower end of the rope next to the stem of another bush so that the structure is the letter “L”.
For this method, you do not need to tie the lashes on your own, they will stretch along a vertical rope and grow independently.
A method that does not require cost and labor. Its essence is to plant bushes along the fence of the site - a fence or net. Bushes are planted 20-25 cm from the beginning of the hedge, and oblique ropes stretch to the top of the fence next to them.
The weaving of the bush begins with a cord, and by the end of growth it covers almost the entire hedge, like grapes. The only drawback here is the need to clear the hedge of dried lashes in the fall.
An interesting design option in which the trellis is driven in from three sides, forming a triangle. The upper ends of the supports are connected, the design in the final form is similar to a pyramid.
- Install supports on three sides at a convenient distance. For installation, you can use both metal and wooden supports.
- Connect the upper parts of the supports with wire or fix with nails.
- Between the supports pull the ropes or net, secure the canvas with wire.
Since the canvas for the lashes is at an angle, it is easy for the bush to curl up and cling to new levels. This method is suitable for small ridges in two or three bushes, or for a new type of planting of cucumbers - in a circular ridge.
About how to make a trellis for cucumbers with your own hands, see the following video:
The use of plastic bottles
The method does not describe the construction of the support, but the option of attaching the stem to the base or rope. A plastic bottle is cut into ribbons, then the bush stem and the main rope are wrapped around it. The plastic tape is fastened with a stapler, forming a free “clamp” around the stem.
Less method in plastic. It has thin and sharp edges, such a tying can cut the stem when it is bent. Plastic also pollutes the soil, if you lose such a structure, it will remain in the ground for many years.
Snapping under arcs
The simplest method for low varieties of cucumbers is the installation of metal arches over the bushes. Bent rods are dug into the ground so that the top of the arc is at a height of 35-40 cm.
The bushes are initially tied to arcs, and then the lashes independently grow horizontally along the upper supports of the rods. The method is convenient for varieties with average climbing and growth.
The disadvantage of this method is the accuracy of weaving. The bushes can mix with each other, which makes it difficult not only to care for them and the access of light, but also to harvest.
Tying on ladders and arches
The method got its name for the visual similarity with a staircase or arch. The complexity of manufacturing lies in the acquisition costs and assembly time. Such a garter has a pleasant appearance and will last for many years.
- Choose and purchase a garden arch or structure similar to a folding staircase in a summer house shop. Typically, such devices are used for decorative weaving of the vine, but cucumber creepers also do an excellent job with this function.
- Install the structure on the site, prepare the soil around. Planting bushes can be made both on one side of the arch, and on two.
- After landing, periodically throw the whips of the bush through a new level, it will fix on its own.
This method is more aesthetic in nature, the design is large, and little bushes are used. Therefore, this option is suitable for large areas without the need to save space.
This type is similar to the “cucumber tree” garter, it differs in the formation of ridges and the method of planting. As they grow, cucumber vines will stretch along the canvas on their own and form a pretty "Christmas tree" of bushes.
- To create a pyramid, select a landing site, place several wooden or metal poles in the ground, placing them in a circle.
- The upper ends must be connected with thick wire to make a cone pyramid.
- Pull the ropes across the rods in several levels.
- Plant bushes around the pyramid from the outside, you do not need to strengthen the structure with boards.
The only disadvantage of this method is the low availability of the inside of the pyramid. If the lash with the fruits began to grow inward and entrenched there, it will be difficult to remove it.
Cucumber garter on pegs
For those who choose low-growing varieties of cucumbers, a simple method of garter is quite suitable. Wooden pegs are installed next to each bush. The height of the peg should reach the maximum growth of the lashes of the plant.
Garter is carried out along the main trunk, attaching it to the peg. The remaining lashes are also placed on a support, tying a fabric strip at a short distance.
Some difficulties and mistakes when tying were already mentioned in the article, we will dwell on the main ones in more detail.
- Thin threads and artificial cords for attaching the stem to the ropes. Thin material or kapron threads can damage the delicate surface of the plant, leaving cuts on it. Such wounds can lead to death. Use a soft cloth. 2 cm wide ribbons are great for garter.
- Pulling too tight. Do not tie the stem to the main cord very tightly. A squeezed bush during the growth process will mutilate the stem. It is much more convenient to carry out a leash so that a finger passes between the loop and the branch.
- Erroneous garter time. It is impossible to be late with tying, since a stem larger than 30 cm can break under the weight of the bush, or from the influence of the wind. But the plant should not be tied up too early - this makes no sense, and as the bush grows, the procedure will still have to be repeated.
- Bandaging new shoots too often. If the plant is hooked on a grid or structure, then it can independently drag further and it is worth only directing its growth. Do not fix the lashes on each new level.
Tying cucumbers is a necessary process. The correct formation of bushes provides the basis for healthy growth and fruiting of the bush. Therefore, the qualitative result of growing a crop will follow only competent care and careful monitoring.