Governor geese are bred relatively recently, the breed is obtained by crossing the Shadrinsky and Italian varieties. Place of selection - Makhalov breeding factory. The bird is characterized by early maturity, good weight, fertility and survival.
Governor geese should have open access to water
Governmental geese tolerate any climate well
The history of the origin of Governor's geese
The gubernatorial breed of geese was created by a team of scientists from the Institute of Poultry, the Agricultural Academy named after Maltsev TS and zootechnical staff of the Makhalov plant for 11 years.
As a result, in 2011, amazing results were achieved - the breed turned out to be surprisingly viable, productive and cold-resistant, thanks to which even Spartan living conditions are suitable for birds.
Description of the breed and features
The governor goose, although obtained by crossing 2 breeds, is more similar to the Italian variety of poultry, so many poultry farmers often confuse them. This is a breed of the middle class, meat and egg direction, with a maximum weight of 6 kg.
Features of appearance indicators:
- plumage - predominantly white;
- head - small, oblong;
- beak - shortened, orange-red hue;
- neck - medium length;
- physique - compact;
- branched fluff;
- caudal process small;
- the chest is strong enough;
- paws are red-red;
- there is no fold under the beak;
- there is no forehead cone.
At a young age, goslings differ in appearance from adult individuals - the fluff contains blotches of gray color. As it grows, molting occurs, during which the plumage becomes snow-white.
These are quite peaceful birds, distinguished by magnificent posture and an important gait. Despite their sluggishness, with the approach of danger, they actively engage in battle.
Egg laying period and average annual egg production
The egg laying time of the goose is 4-4.5 months. For this period, according to average indicators, it is able to lay 43-46 eggs. The average annual egg production is 98-100 eggs from one female, therefore, when growing a large number of products, there is enough absolutely for all purposes - consumption, sale, breeding.
Individual weight, precocity rate
Governor geese are quite early, although they have a small weight for this type of bird (average 5-6 kg). By 9 weeks, the weight of the gander is at least 4.3 kg, while the goose weighs 300-400 grams less. By 3 months of life, the goose already weighs 5 kg full in the form of a carcass, and this at a feed consumption of 3 kg per 1 kg of live weight gain.
Maintenance and care
The governor breed is unpretentious in maintenance and care, therefore it is grown in large and small farms. Immediately after birth, gender can be distinguished, so geese at this stage are planted separately from geese.
The breed is contained in any climatic conditions, as it is frost-resistant. Birds easily tolerate transportation, after which diseases do not occur, but productivity decreases slightly (at the time of adaptation).
Geese are birds that breed damp (splash water, bathe), so there are special requirements for the premises:
- It is better to fill the floor with concrete and equip with wooden flooring. If this is not possible, it is important to backfill the floor with wood shavings or sawdust, straw, hay. A prerequisite - when wet, the material is replaced.
- Geese need a spacious room, but it must be divided into sections at the rate of 50 goals in one sector. The partition is constructed from an ordinary metal mesh 1.3-1.5 m high. This is necessary so that the birds could not fly.
- Ventilation is required, as is artificial lighting, especially in cloudy weather.
- Winter insulation is made from the inside and outside. For this, you can use any improvised material.
- Drafts are completely excluded, otherwise the livestock will become ill.
Pasture plot for walks
The dynamics of geese require movement, so the birds need to provide a place for walking. For this, a free exit to the pasture is arranged from the house, which can be open or closed. Since birds can fly over obstacles, the fence should have a height of at least one and a half meters. The best option is a mesh enclosure.
- it is possible to create an artificial pond (trough, ditch and the like);
- a lot of greenery (grass);
- you can use the land on which cereals and other crops grew (geese will hatch the remains of grains);
- lack of dry grass (mow if necessary).
Access to water
Governor geese drink constantly, so access to water should be open. For this, artificial ponds or drinking bowls are used. The latter are sold in specialized stores, but they can be made with your own hands. The main requirement for a drinker is the shape of the gutter.
For the prevention of diseases, experts advise installing containers not only with clean water, but also decoctions of herbs (chamomile, etc.). You do not need to drink healthy drinks daily, just 3 times a week.
Feeding troughs, drinking bowls and a trough with sand
How to properly equip the necessary devices for geese:
- The feeder should be accessible to absolutely all individuals of the flock, and at the same time. This is due to the fact that geese constantly eat, pinch something. The feeders should be long (at least 2 meters). Size calculation is based on the requirements: for one individual, 25-30 cm is necessary. It is more expedient for the convenience of birds to hang devices to a height of 15-20 cm from the floor level.
- Drinking bowls should always be in sight of geese. These birds splash water during drinking and bathing, therefore it is customary to install special pallets for equipment where water will be collected (which will prevent excess humidity in the room). A prerequisite is to change the water as it becomes contaminated. If this is not done, the birds may become infected.
- A container with sand is established without fail, since geese need mineral fertilizing, with which beneficial substances enter the body. Due to this, food that enters the esophagus is digested faster (sand pellets grind roughage). It is possible to use: river sand, small-gravel crushed stone, chalk, eggshells, shells.
In winter, the water freezes, so you need to periodically add heated fluid or install equipment with heating.
This species of geese is slightly susceptible to disease, especially subject to the rules of maintenance and care. This is due to the fact that they have a strong immune system. That is why, unlike other breeds of geese, gubernatorial individuals do not undergo inflammatory processes in the visual apparatus. However, these factors do not give the right to ignore the requirements of veterinary medicine for vaccination of young birds against parasites.
Infection usually occurs from one bird to another, but infection is possible in other ways (through drinking bowls, feeders, water, feed, etc.). Therefore, preventive measures are required:
- disinfect the room;
- treat with antiseptic means feeders, drinking bowls, cleaning tools;
- clean the room of excrement;
- maintain the necessary level of humidity (remove wet litter);
- to vaccinate in a timely manner;
- ventilate the house;
- release the bird into the pasture;
- not allow other animals (cats, dogs, chickens, etc.) to go to the geese;
- change water often (pour only clean);
- acquire high-quality feed;
- eliminate the risk of penetration into the feed of mice, rats that can spread the infection.
Governor geese do not eat much food, but their food should be balanced, especially the food of the geese after birth. They are supposed to give not only specialized food, but also chopped boiled eggs. Goslings are transferred to compound feed from 2-3 days of life. After a week, chopped carrots and greens are introduced into the diet. After about a month, the birds can eat adult food. Feed consumption by age:
|Age category||Consumption per gram|
Diet in winter
In winter, feed from the Governor's geese should include compound feed and mash. The first should contain the following components:
- other types of grain and legumes.
A stirrer consists of the following ingredients:
- hay trash;
- pumpkin crops;
- nettle leaves;
- fresh beets;
Be sure to introduce mineral and vitamin supplements purchased in specialized stores.
In the summer, it is advisable to feed the geese in the pasture, which will significantly reduce cash costs. But in the evening and in the morning it is necessary to give additional feed and a mash.
Diet during the reproductive period
When laying eggs, geese need to be fed especially carefully, since the level of egg production depends on this. It is recommended to introduce additional feed 28-30 days before the expected date of the reproductive period.
What is necessary:
- all types of crops;
- vitamins and minerals;
- Fresh grass
- cottage cheese;
- minced fish or fat.
During egg laying, nests for geese are set up. They are usually made of wooden crates (minimum height 8-10 cm, width 40-50 cm, length 60-70 cm). A separate nest for each individual is not a requirement, as geese can hatch eggs together for 2-3 birds. The bottom of the box is covered with hay litter, goose down is sprinkled on top.
Temperature and humidity in the incubator
To breed a large number of geese, it is necessary to use special incubators that must meet the following requirements:
- in 1 incubation day, the temperature regime should be 36-38 degrees, the humidity level - a maximum of 70%;
- from 2, artificial cooling of eggs is carried out twice a day for 15-20 minutes to t +33 degrees;
- on day 28, the eggs are transferred to a special incubator for hatching, where the temperature inside should not exceed 37 degrees, and humidity - 75%.
For incubation, eggs from geese up to 4 years old are taken. Before laying, they are heated (t +38 degrees) for 4 hours. On the 5th day in the incubator, the eggs are treated with a weak solution of potassium permanganate, and before hatching they are always sprayed with water.
Why do goslings die?
Governor breed is characterized by increased vitality, but goslings can sometimes die. Main reasons:
- improper care and maintenance of "parents";
- non-compliance with the rules for keeping goslings;
- food poisoning;
- poor quality feed;
- paratyphoid (salmonellosis);
- enteritis of a viral nature;
- renal coccidiosis;
Advantages and disadvantages of the breed Governor goose
The governor species of geese has a lot of advantages, among which are the following:
- high level of egg productivity and wear;
- excellent performance of fluff, especially thermal insulation;
- growth rate;
- good survival;
- polygamy (the male is not looking for a specific female), which increases egg production;
- the possibility of output in the incubator without loss (95%);
- tolerance of cold and any climate.
Among the shortcomings can be noted such:
- geese are not good hens; they leave their nests;
- based on the previous paragraph, an incubator is required.
The breed of Governor geese does not grow to gigantic proportions, but the growth rate makes it possible to quickly make a profit at minimal cost (the price of one gosling is about 650-750 rubles).
In addition, excellent egg production allows you to breed a whole farm for a short period of time. Based on this, it can be concluded that the payback of Governor geese is quite high.
Margarita Fedorovna, 39 years old, Krasnodar Territory.
I bought Governor geese for my farm. I was very surprised how quickly they grow and at the same time consume relatively little feed. They do not require special care, unless, so far, small. But this is about 2-3 weeks, not more. I want to especially note the meat - tasty, juicy. I even canned it for the winter (I keep geese in the summer).
Valery, 44 years old, farmer, Perm Territory, pos. Quail
I have been breeding birds for many years, and about 3 years ago I took Governor's geese on the advice of a friend and did not regret it. Excellent offspring (a lot of eggs), fast growth, unpretentiousness. Goslings almost 100% survive, so I not only leave them to myself, but also boldly sell them. The only thing with which the trouble is that you have to buy incubators, because the geese get up from the nests, although not all.
The governing goose has the most valuable meat, a lot of advantages and a very small number of disadvantages. This breed managed to fall in love with Russian farmers for their rapid growth, unpretentiousness in the maintenance and care, as well as the profitability of growing the breed. It is easy to breed a bird in the household, the main thing is to adhere to the basic rules and requirements.