Mirgorod pigs require a farmer to spend a lot of time and money on their care and maintenance, but in the future it will definitely pay off, because it is one of the best sebaceous breeds. The breed is common in southern Russia, central and northern parts of Ukraine, as well as in the Republic of Belarus.
General characteristics of the breed
The Mirgorod breed of pigs was obtained due to the complex crossing of individuals of different breeds. Leading scientists, specialists and farm workers crossed the following breeds:
- Belarusian black and white;
- large black;
- big white;
- medium white;
- Berkshire (only males).
As a result of such manipulations, the Mirgorod breed of pigs appeared. Her individuals combine several features at once, characteristic of all breeds involved in the crossing.
Mirgorod pigs are quite colorful according to their external data. This is expressed not only in a peculiar color, but also in other features of their appearance. It is enough to see pigs of this breed only once, after which it will be difficult to confuse them with another.
The color of individuals can be different, but the most common are:
- uniformly black color;
- motley black;
There are also intermediate shades, passing from one to another (each individual individual).
As for the other external data of the breed in question, they can be denoted as follows:
- wide torso;
- strong physique;
- deep chest;
- broad and fleshy shoulders;
- wide back;
- perfectly developed hams;
- the skin does not have folds and is very elastic;
- widely spaced, dense, fleshy posterior edges of the lower jaw (ganache);
- medium sized head (not coarse);
- snout length - medium;
- medium-sized ears directed forward;
- properly developed, strong and dry legs;
- strong hooves;
- the body is covered with long and shiny bristles.
This breed has one specific feature - characteristic spots throughout the body, which is not the case with individuals of any other breed (taking into account elastic and smooth skin without folds).
The Mirgorod breed became popular not only due to its non-standard external data, but also because of its features in a productive way:
[tw_list no = "1 ″] Fertility [/ tw_list]
Sows of this breed are extremely prolific. During one farrowing, 10 or more piglets may appear. Each of them at the time of birth weighs about 1.2 kg.
In just 1 day, one piglet is able to gain about 700 g of mass. Their weight reaches a centner after 6 months.
And even with an average milk production of sows (up to 50 kg per nest), the offspring develops quickly and confidently.
[tw_list no = "2 ″] Meat [/ tw_list]
The slaughter yield of an individual of this breed fattened by all the rules is 85%. Specialists do not have a very good opinion about the quality of meat, emphasizing that other breeds have much better meat. But the disadvantages of the quality of meat products are confidently offset by the amount of:
- the mass of an adult boar can be at the level of 270 kg;
- the mass of the adult uterus is about 240 kg.
[tw_list no = "3 ″] Fat [/ tw_list]
The legends about the fat of the Mirgorod pigs. In Ukraine, this breed is incredibly popular just because of the most tender and very tasty fat that these pigs possess. And given that “lard and gorilka” (lard and vodka) is almost the national dish of this country, the opinion of Ukrainian experts can be trusted.
However, if this is not enough, then here are a few confirmed facts:
- on average, fat is 4.5-5 cm wide and has an extremely high quality and taste;
- fat of pigs of the Mirgorod breed is considered to be a reference throughout the world;
- Initially, the breed was bred only for cultivation within Ukraine, but because of its unique characteristics, the breed became very popular in Russia and the Republic of Belarus (this applies only to breeding, but already finished products managed to visit almost every country in the world);
- in honor of the Mirgorod breed, an annual holiday is organized - the “Holiday of the Mirgorod pig” (held in early October, in the city of Mirgorod, from where the breed appeared).
Peace pigs are characteristic of Mirgorod. They confidently make contact with a person, and if they show aggression, it is solely in the case. This breed does not like fast movements (except for small playful piglets), so even hungry individuals will not run headlong to a crowded feeding trough.
However, this can be done by a nursing female, because nutrition is critical for her to provide milk for her offspring.
This breed of pig prefers herd lifestyle. If individuals remain alone for a long time, they will begin to yearn greatly.
The Mirgorod breed prefers a pasture type of maintenance, therefore it is important for them to have a place for grazing.
The uterus is very nice to their cubs, and cases of abandonment of offspring, although recorded, are quite small. It is also common for females to aggressively protect cubs, but only if such a need arises. And it doesn’t matter if it is a man or a well-fed boar - the offender will not be greeted.
Mirgorod pigs are most often raised in:
- and Sumy regions of Ukraine.
The breed is also very popular in the Republic of Belarus and in the regions of southern Russia.
The key conditions for this breed are the following:
- compulsory and timely vaccination of pigs;
- constant maintenance of cleanliness in the room;
- proper diet;
- regular grazing of animals in summer and spring.
Half of the daily ration of pigs should consist of compound feed based on fish and meat meal (for bone tissue), various vitamin and mineral supplements and crushed grain.
The remaining half may include:
- boiled potatoes;
- crushed crops;
- shredded (fresh) root vegetables, such as turnips, beets, carrots, etc .;
- dairy and dairy products;
- fruits and vegetables (seasonally);
- well chopped fresh hay, tops and grass.
Boiled waste from meat and fish is also well suited.
Expensive pig concentrates can be replaced on their own. Crushed oats, barley and wheat (steamed in advance with boiling water) are suitable.
Piglets are recommended to be fed 5 or more times a day. Adults will be enough 3 times for the winter season and 2 times for the summer.
Mirgorod pigs are quite unpretentious in terms of maintenance (compared to other breeds). It is enough to follow only some key requirements so that individuals of this breed feel good and comfortable:
- The place of keeping pigs must have a high tightness. Also, it should be warm, because this breed does not tolerate cold.
Hypothermia causes delay in development in pigs and contributes to the emergence of a variety of diseases, mainly limbs.
- The room where pigs are kept should have a stable temperature. Humidity should also not change dramatically, its level must be monitored.
- Be extremely responsible for the ventilation system. The absence of drafts is the main goal, otherwise pigs will develop pulmonary diseases even in the warm season.
- It is necessary to clean the stable 3 times a week (and if possible - even more often), and once a month the whole room is treated with a sodium solution, and bleaching is carried out using lime.
- Sharp smells and loud noises in the room are categorically excluded. Peace and silence are very important to the pigs of Mirgorod, otherwise they will be nervous and worried, which will negatively affect their well-being.
Individuals of this breed need daily grazing due to the fact that they feel most comfortable in pasture conditions. Without fresh food and an active lifestyle, they are more likely to develop diseases like rickets.
Yes, the Mirgorod breed is slow in nature, but this does not mean that they do not like to walk and move. If some breeds prefer to run a kilometer, then Mirgorod pigs are more likely to conquer twice as much distance, but at a slow pace.
In grazing, it is critical to provide shade from the sun. Individuals with a light color do not tolerate the effects of sunlight on the skin. The same applies to other suits with slightly greater stability.
In the winter season, pigs should be as warm and dry as possible. It is also important to ensure constant access to clean water. In winter, you need to clean the pigsty literally every day.
The Mirgorod breed of pigs has a strong immune system and is rarely ill. Nevertheless, there are diseases characteristic of this breed that can occur even with due attention from the owner:
- lung diseases;
The likelihood of being infected with worms can be significantly reduced if pigs are cleaned every six months for prevention. To select the most effective and correct drugs, consult a veterinarian.
Washing the pigs every 3 months will help reduce the likelihood of scabies. Lung diseases are prevented by the absence of drafts and hypothermia, to which Mirgorod pigs are extremely sensitive.
Poisoning often occurs due to an improper diet, for the same reason, vitamin deficiency (lack of vitamins) can occur.
How to choose a pig?
Before acquiring piglets, it is important to remember the basic rules:
- When purchasing piglets of the Mirgorod breed, you should make sure that they are purebred.
- The piglet must be older than 1 month. By this age, pig-breeders manage to wean the young from the sow and accustom them to ordinary food.
Small piglets cannot be abruptly transferred from feeding milk to standard food. This will cause them a severe digestive upset.
- The presence of various vaccinations is extremely important. The piglet you buy must be 100% healthy.
- Representatives of this breed are herd creatures, for their early adaptation it is better to purchase 2-3 individuals.
- It is possible to exclude the fact of fraud by the color of piglets: in the Mirgorod breed, it is most often black-motley. But black or black-red color also happens.
- You can pay attention to the structure of the body of the pig:
- it should be long and very wide;
- muzzle - conically elongated forward;
- the ears will be small in size, almost completely upright, slightly turned to the sides.
- Keeping in touch with the pig farmer who bought the pigs is a good idea. Piglets may have a specific character or special eating habits. Having found out what their mother was eating, you can choose the right diet. The same goes for behavior. Also, the pig farmer will be able to give important advice as a more experienced breeder.
If you change the diet or the environment too dramatically, then there will be problems with adapting to a new place. It will be more correct to gradually prepare piglets for the conditions of detention. Then the adaptation process will be as quick and easy as possible.
Mirgorod pigs equally have positive and negative sides.
The benefits include:
- The tendency to gain weight. From an early age, piglets have a strong and massive structure. The representatives of the breed harmoniously develop the body, in pronounced meat forms of which adipose tissue and lard grow well.
- Feeding and fattening. Mirgorod breed of pigs is unpretentious in terms of food. They do not care about the quality of the feed, the main thing is its calorie content.
Mirgorod pigs are gaining mass so easily that no special feeding systems need to be used. Even with poor food quality, the deposition rate of fat reserves is very high.
- Love for the pasture. From spring to the first frost in the fall, pigs are kept in the pasture. They enjoy outdoor activities and large areas. It is better to drive them into the room only at night.
Mirgorod pigs get serious burns in direct sunlight (the layer of fat under the skin literally melts). Shelter should be provided where they can hide from the heat.
In other words, breeders emphasize the following benefits of the breed:
- unpretentiousness to the conditions of detention and nutrition;
- rapid mass accumulation (meat, fat);
- balanced body design;
- can stay in the pasture for a long time without negative consequences;
- extremely tasty, delicate, reference level fat.
Cons of the breed
The disadvantages of this breed are also present:
- The quality of the meat. The fat in Mirgorod pigs is first-class, it is a fact. But the taste qualities of meat are estimated several times worse.
The taste and yield of meat will increase if you walk the pigs more often and feed them mainly with protein feed.
- Vulnerability to cold. You can escape from the sun in the shade, but the cold will penetrate anywhere. The Mirgorod breed does not tolerate frost and suffers in cool conditions so much that it can become seriously ill from a short draft. The growth rate is decreasing, chronic diseases are developing. And for small piglets, the cold is destructive, so they need to install additional heating lamps or move to a warmer room.
Mirgorod pigs can be considered one of the best sebaceous breeds. Their unpretentiousness, strong immunity and delicious fat quality are significant advantages compared to other types of pigs. Of course, there are negative sides, but if they are not critical for the owner, then it is better to find this breed will not succeed.