Radial honey extractor has a number of design features. There are several advantages to this type of honey pumping equipment. It must be operated correctly, following the instructions. The unit can be made with your own hands from various materials.
The honey extractor design includes the following elements:
- A honey extractor of any type is a tank-case, inside of which there is a drum rotating a cartridge . Open honeycombs are placed in them.
- The rotation of the drum in the unit provides centrifugal force, under the influence of which honey is scattered on the inner walls of the tank body. A drain hole is provided below, through which the product enters a special container. Typically, the drain is supplied with a tap.
- A design feature of the radial unit is the location of the frames in the drum. Each of them is part of the radius of the tank body and moves away from the center of the beam, which is represented by a rotating mechanism. The number of frames contained in the unit is limited only by its size.
- The bottom of the tank body is curved and has a conical shape. On the outside, hoops are often provided that make the structure more reliable.
- A vertical axis is installed inside the tank body, which fixes the metal cage. It is mobile and equipped with an upper and lower cross. The first is support for the upper stop circle with protrusions that secure the frames. Three circles are held on the lower cross: the lower thrust (smooth and the most extreme) and two with cutouts for the sidewalls of the frames.
- The top of the vertical axis is a steel rod with a bevel gear at the end. Its rotation is provided by a ball bearing . It is located in a special plate, which is fixed to the cross member of the tank housing.
- There is also a horizontal axis with a handle on which a vertical gear is mounted, which ensures the movement of the drive.
- Radial honey extractor can be equipped with a manual or electric drive . The first option is attractive at a lower cost, but requires more time and effort.
The honey extractor of radial type has certain advantages:
- the case holds an impressive number of frames - up to 48 pieces;
- strength and reliability of the structure - all parts except the rotating drum are firmly fixed;
- centrifugal force acts on the bar, so the risk of cell rupture is minimal;
- honeycombs are almost completely dried from honey, losses are minimized;
- high productivity - almost twice as high in comparison with the hordial unit;
- radial design does not require turning the frames on the other side;
- no need to control the operation of the unit after its launch - if the design is equipped with an electric drive, then the presence of a person during the pumping of honey is not required;
- at the end of work, it is easier to remove the honeycomb from the tank body, since they do not stick to the drum.
Radial honey separators are quite dimensional and pump out honey longer than chordal units, but all this is compensated by a large capacity and a high degree of drying. A beekeeper spends less time, as he can load many frames at the same time.
When using a factory unit, it is imperative that you study the operating instructions and adhere to it each time before first use. Features of the use of equipment depend on its design features.
General operating conditions are as follows:
- Rinse parts with hot water before each use. You can resort to a high pressure washer or use detergents that are designed for units in contact with food.
- The power supply unit must have a differential current switch of rated inrush current. Its serviceability should be checked regularly.
- Installation of equipment only on a dry floor (soil) is allowed. The surface should be relatively flat.
- In case of damage to the power supply cable that cannot be disconnected or the connecting wire, the repair, replacement must be carried out by a master, guarantor or special repair plant. Using the unit with a damaged wire is not allowed.
- The power wire must be removed from sharp, cutting surfaces (edges), heat sources, open flames.
- The unit may only be plugged in with dry hands. Be sure to pre-verify that the control is turned off (switch position “0”). It is necessary to check the coincidence of the rated voltage of the equipment with the power source.
- After closing the lid of the honey extractor, it is forbidden to open it until the end of the cycle.
- During operation of the unit, it is forbidden to move it, to carry out preventive work.
- The engine of the equipment and its control must be protected from moisture during operation of the equipment, its cleaning and storage.
- It is forbidden to allow people with limited physical, mental and sensory abilities, lack of proper knowledge and experience to operate the unit.
- In case of malfunctions or any danger during unit operation, an emergency switch must be used. You can restart the equipment only after solving the problem.
- Storage of equipment at sub-zero temperatures is not allowed. You can turn it on at temperatures above 5 degrees. If the unit was moved to a room or from a room with a different temperature regime before operation, it is necessary to leave it for a while to reach the ambient temperature.
- Keep the honey separator clean and in a sufficiently lit room.
- The unit must be cleaned and dried after each operation (several cycles without cleaning are allowed during one honey collection).
When cleaning the product, soaking of electrical elements is not allowed. The bearing should also not be allowed to come into contact with water.
The working cycle of the unit and preparation for it are carried out according to the following algorithm:
- Install a honey extractor.
- Install frames - they must be located correctly and fit in the cassette.
- Close the cover.
- Run the equipment.
- Increase rotation speed gradually. You cannot start immediately at high speed.
- Upon completion of the cycle, disconnect the equipment from power.
- Remove the unit cover.
- Take out the frames.
- If the honey is no longer pumped out, then clean the equipment, dry it and send it to storage.
DIY radial honey extractor
A radial unit for pumping honey can be made on its own. This option is especially attractive for small apiaries, when the purchase of finished equipment pays off for a very long time or can be absolutely economically unprofitable.
The manufacture of the unit involves the following steps:
- The tank body is best made of stainless steel. You can take as a basis a ready-made container of a suitable size or make a body of sheet material. In the absence of a welding machine, rivets and cold welding can be used. Recommended case diameter - from 88 cm, height - 69 cm.
- The bottom of the body must be concave. If the finished container is taken as the basis, then its bottom must be cut off and replaced with a home-made one.
- The main part of the internal structure is a cell supported by two crosses. Three circles must be fixed to the lower cross: the upper with a diameter of 77 cm and a distance of 6.1 cm inside. The lower and upper circles must be equipped with metal protrusions for the frames.
- In the axis of the cell you need to screw a steel rod. In the center of the crosspiece, install a glass of metal with a steel ball - it is a support for the rod.
- In the lower part of the body, make a drain hole and install a faucet. For collecting honey extracts, it is better to use stainless steel parts.
- Equipment does not require an overly powerful engine. Enough power up to 80-90 watts. It is imperative to install a protective net through which insects cannot penetrate. To adjust the speed, you must install a rheostat. Relays can be taken from the washing machine.
To process small volumes of products, you can build a mini honey extractor. It’s good to use the drum of a washing machine as the basis for it.
About how to make a honey separator with your own hands, see the following video:
The radial honey extractor has several design features and a number of advantages, in comparison with the hordial equipment. The radial type unit is considered more modern. You can buy a honey extractor or make it yourself - all materials are available, and the costs will be several times lower.