Varomor or smoke gun - a device with which beekeepers fumigate bees. Beekeepers resort to fumigation to protect the bee family from ticks and other diseases.
Description and characteristics of the device
Smoke guns are sold in any specialized store - for beekeepers. The device looks like a small sprayer or spray gun, but instead of liquids it sprays their vapor. The smoke gun sold by stores is equipped with:
- a cylinder with a capacity of 190 g;
- kerosene (1 l);
The effectiveness of Varomor is based on its directed action. Over the history of the existence of the gun has undergone several upgrades. The weight of the latest version of the device in running order is 1.95 kg. Dimensions:
- length - 47 cm;
- height - 30 cm;
- width - 15 cm.
Smoke gun productivity - 100 bee colonies in 2-3 hours.
The smoke gun consists of 12 components:
- pump - it delivers a working solution;
- tank - the working solution is poured into it;
- tank covers;
- pump drive handles;
- bolts - they regulate the volume of the used solution;
- threaded connection with a solution filter;
- gas bottle;
- a ring that presses a gas cylinder;
- gas control valve;
- gas burner;
- trigger setting fire to gas.
After testing in practice, changes and improvements were made to each new modification. The device consists of high-quality parts and components, thanks to which it works without interruptions and breakdowns.
Principle of operation
The principle of the smoke gun is the evaporation of the medicinal composition, poured into the tank. In order for the liquid to evaporate, gas is supplied and the burner is ignited. The solution, moving along the tube to the exit, is heated by the burner to a temperature that turns it into steam. Thanks to the fryer, gas is saved, and the treatment fluid evaporates qualitatively.
Vapors from healing fluids irritate bees. Insects move actively, ticks actively crumble - if fumigation is carried out in order to destroy the latter.
Varomor can be used in the production of environmentally friendly beekeeping products.
When do hives need to be processed?
The maximum efficiency of processing bee colonies using a smoke gun is observed in early summer. The drugs used for fumigation are toxic to humans, it is unacceptable that they fall on honeycombs. Therefore, before fumigating the hives, they pump out honey.
When working with a gun, the following points are taken into account:
- It is recommended to smoke beehives from ticks, molds and diseases in the evening.
- If there is no wind, the doors do not close. Otherwise, the doors are closed for 30 minutes.
- If there is a brood, fumigation is interrupted. Smoke is launched in two portions. Between two calls are interrupted for 10 minutes. After a day, the hive is processed again. This option of fumigation allows you to save the bee family, including brood, from ticks.
In the fall, if necessary, carry out additional processing. This is done to destroy ticks, which, leaving the bee family, are grouped in the letch. Processing is carried out at a temperature of 2-8 ° C.
Read more about the treatment of the bee hive from the tick, read in the next article .
Step-by-step application guide
When the fumigation solution is ready, it is poured into the tank. To do this, unscrew the lid of the tank and pour in the solution. When the liquid is poured, the lid is returned to its place.
- Open the gas valve by turning its knob counterclockwise. Pressing the trigger, set the burner on fire. Adjust the fluid supply - the flame position should be lower than the external protective circuit of the fryer.
- After waiting 1-2 minutes, start dispensing the solution using the handle of the pump drive.
- Pump the solution into the system - puffs of smoke should appear from the nozzle. At this moment, the position of the drive handle should be in the extreme position - pull it all the way. As soon as you release the handle, fluid will begin to flow. The dispenser will deliver exactly 1 cc. see solution.
- Enter the nozzle into the hive through the tap hole - 1-3 cm. As a rule, 2 cubes of smoke are enough for processing - if a chemical substance like bipin is used. If acid is used - bisanar or thymol, 4-5 cubes are served.
- When you have finished fumigating, close the gas tap.
- Solution No. 1 is not used for fumigation in two cases - if the hive has an infertile uterus and at an ambient temperature above 30 ° C.
In a smoke cannon fill solutions of different composition and purpose. Mixing the ingredients is carried out strictly according to the instructions. The composition of the solution should maximize meet the objectives. Beekeepers are offered three options for solutions. In order to calculate the volume of the working mixture and its components, one should take into account how many bee colonies are to be processed and determine the rate of liquid per hive.
The norms of drugs for processing bee colonies in the table
No. of solution
|A drug||Active substance||Amount of drug||Solvent volume||Volume of working solution, ml|
For processing bee colonies, pcs.
Oxalic acid, thymol
Oxalic acid, thymol
15 ml each
100 ml ethyl alcohol
100 ml of purified alcohol
100 ml of water
Having calculated the volume of the active substance - crystallized oxalic acid and thymol. The acid is mixed with ethyl alcohol (from 96%). The resulting mixture is heated in a water bath so that the temperature of the water does not rise above 50 ° C.
When the acid crystals completely dissolve, the mixture is ready. Then thymol is added and, stirring, achieve uniformity. If everything is done correctly, the resulting composition will actively evaporate when heated, without forming crystals. The mixture remains suitable for 3 weeks from the date of manufacture. This composition is allowed in the production of environmentally friendly products.
To prepare the solution, purified kerosene is mixed with tactics and bipin (or bipin-T). The ingredients, taken in the right proportions, are mixed so that a whitish, homogeneous solution without sediment is obtained. The prepared solution is suitable for use for several months.
Water and tau fluvulanilate are heated in a water bath at a temperature of 40-50 ° C until the drug is dissolved. The solution is filtered before use, and then poured into the Varomor tank.
Varomor is a simple but dangerous device. Violating the rules of operation may result in personal injury or poisoning. Safety measures when fumigating bees with a smoke gun:
- Observe safety rules for handling gas cylinders and flammable substances.
- Avoid mechanical damage to the device - this could result in leakage of gas or working solution.
- Do not drink, eat or smoke while working with the smoke cannon.
- When fumigating bees, wear a respirator or gas mask.
- Do not store the device in a residential area. When transporting, pack Varomor in a box.
- If the device malfunctions, please contact a gas service technician.
When servicing a smoke gun, observe the rules:
- If there is no urgent need, do not disassemble the device - there is a danger of leakage.
- To prevent scale formation inside the hoses, periodically flush the system with vinegar (100 ml - 1 tbsp. L vinegar). This is necessary if solution No. 1 is used.
- Periodically clean the filter mounted in the dispenser.
- Before switching to another solution, a solvent of another solution is pumped through the gun.
- Before storing the device, it is washed with kerosene.
Bees should be checked for ticks in the fall. Parasites can get used to drugs, and fumigation will not have the desired effect. If the ticks do not die, it is necessary to change the poisonous substance in time.
How to make a smoke gun with your own hands?
Given the simplicity of the smoke gun device, with the necessary tools and materials, it is easy to make it yourself. A DIY device is half the price of a purchased device. It only takes a few hours to assemble a makeshift smoke gun. True, you have to tinker with the assembly. In addition, materials and tools will be needed. You will have to buy something, you will do the rest yourself.
Take a look at the spare parts market to buy spare parts from the old VAZ or Moskvich:
- fuel pump;
- spark arrestor flask;
- 4 mm brake pipe.
If you find a flask, you do not have to do it. To make this knot, you need sheet metal. Also at the car market buy:
- bolt - to adjust the steam;
- bolt - for mounting.
Using bolts, the flange will be firmly fixed to the tube.
Necessary gas equipment:
- burner - take it with piezo ignition, this is the most convenient option;
- replaceable cans with gas - they are changed during operation of the apparatus;
- nozzle for a gas stove.
Go to a hardware store - buy a 200-300 ml plastic can and a fum tape there.
Before collecting a smoke cannon, perform a series of preparatory work:
- Hold the fuel pump in a vise and remove the copper tubes. Loosen the tubes to remove them. On the inner surface of the tubes, cut the thread. The pump is dural, so proceed with caution.
- Take the fuel pump and drill a bolt hole on its foot to adjust the flow of the treatment composition. It is better to entrust such work to the turner.
- Near the end of the brake pipe, which will be threaded into the spark arrester, form a spiral of 4-5 turns. Its diameter should be less than the diameter of the spark arrester by 10 mm. It is better to make a spiral first, and then measure its diameter. Based on the result, calculate the size of the spark arrester. Drill holes on a tin sheet of appropriate dimensions. The hole drilled on the front wall of the bulb must match the diameter of the brake pipe.
- Make a flask from any oval object. Make a joint by welding, and then weld the front plate. Attach the tube to the spark arrestor using a sleeve. Having drilled a hole on the flange, drill a screw thread in it. Or order this work from a turner.
- If you buy a spark arrestor, then the order of work changes slightly. First, measure the internal diameter of the spark arrestor, and only then form a spiral on the tube, taking into account its size and clearance.
- Screw the fittings into the fuel pump tubes. Before that, wrap the fum tape on them - for a tight connection. On the inside of the fitting holding the tube, remove the chamfer - this will ensure the density of the fasteners.
- Place the spiral of the tube in the spark arrester flask. Fix the latter with bolts screwed in advance into the holes on the coupling flange - 1 cm of the tube should protrude from here. Attach a gas stove nozzle to the end of the tube. Place the gas cylinder in the burner and screw the bolt into the hole on the foot of the fuel pump.
This video will help you make the Varomor gun on your own:
According to user reviews, Varomor is one of the most successful anti-tick devices. The device is easy to use, convenient, reliable. Efficiency in pest control - 85%. The beekeepers who tested the Varomor cannon smoke argue that there’s simply nothing to break into it. This is a super fixture needed in any apiary.
The Varomor smoke gun is a good help for the beekeeper. Having bought a finished smoke cannon, you will be armed with an effective and convenient device for pests and diseases of bees.