You can not only buy a honey separator, but also build it yourself. The design and principle of operation of home-made devices are the same, but the material for them can be used differently: wood, metal, plastic. It is important to determine the size of the future honey extract, to prepare the necessary materials and tools.
The device and principle of operation of a home-made honey extractor
The installation is made of various materials, but it works according to one principle - due to the centrifugal force, which is provided by the drum. Honeycombs are printed with a knife and placed in cassettes. When the device is turned on, the drum begins to rotate, a centrifugal force arises, under the influence of which honey flies to the device walls, flowing down them. Below, a hole is made through which the final product enters a special container.
Regardless of the design variant, they are all arranged in the same way and consist of an internal part and an external container for collecting the final product. Inside the honey extractor is a drive that ensures its operation, a rotating rotor and a frame where the cartridges are installed. The drive can be manual, foot, electric.
Honey extractor can be made in two versions. The difference is the arrangement of the frames. According to this principle distinguish chordal and radial construction. In the first case, the cassettes are fixed along the inner walls of the tank on the chords of a circle. In the second case, the frames are the radii of a circle and extend from the center by rays.
The number of frames in the honey extractor can be different. Orientation should be on the scale of the process. You can make the design as 1-2 frames, and several tens (usually up to 48).
The dimensions of the manufactured installation must be oriented to the number of frames that it must contain. This indicator is affected by the size of the apiary and the number of hives on it. Insect productivity also depends on the type of honey plant and weather conditions. The maximum indicator is taken as a basis.
For a home-made installation, a diameter of up to 65 cm is sufficient. The manufacture of a large-sized structure is justified for large-scale work and a large apiary.
Necessary materials and tools
When choosing the right material, its resistance to various influences and the permissibility of contact with a food product are important. The basis of the design can be taken:
- tree - the device can be assembled completely on its own or use an ordinary barrel;
- plywood - the material is attractive for its lightness, which is important during operation and the need for transportation of the honey extract;
- aluminum - light and durable material, low price;
- stainless steel - a durable and affordable material, attracts with a high service life and ease of maintenance;
- plastic - light weight, easy care, profitability.
For honey extracting it is convenient to use the old washing machine, or rather the drum from it. The basis is better to take the Soviet technology "Alma-Ata" or "Siberia".
Regardless of the material for the installation case, it is imperative to prepare the following elements:
- capacity for the final product;
- fittings or metal bars of suitable sizes;
- shaft (axis);
- faucet for draining honey;
- nut for fixing the tap;
- universal silicone sealant;
- a grid for cassettes or wire or thin metal rods for its manufacture;
- corners and aluminum rivets for fixing;
- electric motor for drive;
- protective net;
- rheostat (nichrome spiral);
- bracket (vertical movement).
The list of necessary tools depends on the material used to make the honey extract:
- For woodwork it is better to use a jigsaw or a circular saw, but you can do with a conventional hacksaw. As fastening material, stock up on screws or nails and the appropriate tool - a screwdriver or a drill or a hammer. Instead of fasteners, you can use glue. To align the material you need a planer (if possible a jointer).
- In the manufacture of a plastic honey extractor, you can use a hacksaw for metal, a soldering iron, a welding machine.
- When using aluminum or stainless steel, you need a grinder.
DIY honey making
The nuances of making honey extracts on your own depend on the materials chosen.
For the production of honey extracts, wood of various species, but not containing resin, is suitable. An important condition is the dryness of the material.
The sequence of actions is as follows:
- It is more convenient to make a drum in the form of an octahedron. Inside, it will be necessary to install a rotor, organize mounting for frames.
- The side walls of the structure are best made from one solid board. All material must be leveled so that its thickness is not more than 20 mm. The optimum width of planks for cladding is 190 mm.
- Make a drain hole in the lower part of the front wall. A diameter of 20 mm is enough. For the hole, prepare a wooden stopper plug with a rubber seal or make a faucet. In the second case, sealant should be used.
- For the stand, use wooden blocks of at least 30x50 mm. Attach the legs to the bottom at an angle, and for reliability, connect the crossbars and coat the joints with glue. The height of the legs should be oriented to the height of the container into which honey will flow.
Plywood provides lightweight construction. The material should be taken of medium thickness - optimally 10 mm. Honey plywood honey extractor is made similarly to a wooden structure.
The body can be fastened with small nails or wood glue. After gluing the side panels, a metal hoop should be used to tighten them - this will increase the strength and reliability of the structure.
Plywood honey extract must be treated with wax from the inside. It is applied in several layers.
As a case, you can use a tank, a large pan or other container made of aluminum. Make a drain hole in the lower part of the body and install a faucet.
Such an installation is attractive due to its simplicity of manufacture - the case is already ready, so it remains only to install the drive and make mounts for the frames.
Such a honey extractor is made similarly to an aluminum construction. The difference is only in the material from which the container should be made.
If you can’t find a ready-made container for the case, you can do it yourself. This will require stainless steel sheets, which are sold by any specialized store. The best connection option is the use of a welding machine. In its absence, it is possible to connect the edges of the iron with rivets, and ensure the tightness by cold welding or silicone sealant - in this case, special equipment or special skills are not required.
Made of plastic
Plastic is one of the simplest and cheapest options. Optimal to find a plastic barrel. If the container is cracked or there are other damages, then you can fix them with a soldering iron. A strip or piece of plastic of a suitable size is sufficient for this. With a soldering iron, the material melts, and after cooling, it is firmly fixed.
For repair, you need to use plastic of the same type as on the damaged segment. The best option is to cut a piece or strip of material from the same container.
In the lower part of the body, according to the standard algorithm, a drain hole is made, a faucet with a sealant treatment is fixed.
From the washing machine
The drum from the washing machine attracts with its versatility. It can be combined with a housing made of suitable material.
One embodiment is to use two drums of different sizes. The large-sized design will be the honey separator body. It is necessary to make it airtight.
The algorithm for creating a honey extract is as follows:
- A smaller drum needs to cut the bottom. Then it is installed in the body of the structure.
- It is necessary to weld 3 metal rods at three different points to the inside of the bottom of the unit. Fix their other ends with a welding machine to the bearing, into which a metal pipe-shaft of a suitable diameter and length is inserted (can be crimped and cut to the desired size). Fastening is provided by self-tapping screws.
- To fix the pulley on the top of the pipe-shaft, and the handle on the bottom. Connect them with a belt.
- At the bottom of the main tank, make a drain hole and install a faucet.
About how to make the simplest honey extractor, you can see in the following video:
Cartridges are one of the most important parts of the installation and are necessary for its proper functioning. They are responsible for fixing the frames, which are the source of honey.
The material for the manufacture of cassettes is different. For greater reliability and long service life, it is worth choosing stainless steel. You can make cassettes from other iron or wood. The second option is usually used for wooden and plywood honey extractors.
The main part of the cassettes is the grid. It serves as a kind of cover for frames with honey. The material must be fixed with rivets and corners.
With the correct manufacture of cassettes, the frames should enter easily and fit snugly against the mesh walls. If these conditions are not met during the operation of the device, deformation of the cells may occur.
Cartridges in honey extractors can be fixed in different ways. You need to focus on the type of device - radial or chordal. A radial installation is easier to assemble, but its effectiveness is lower, albeit slightly. The choice depends on your own skills and preferences.
To make a honey extract on your own, it is better to choose a radial mount, since it is universal. This is especially important if the apiary uses frames of different sizes.
The honey separator works in a circular motion, which is provided by the drive. It can be of any type, but it is more advisable to use electricity - this option minimizes human labor. You can also perform a manual drive - this is appropriate if the apiary is small, so the processing volume is negligible.
An electric motor is needed for the electric drive to the honey extractor. The engine should be small in size and power - 90 watts is enough. For an electric drive, you can use a car engine or a gear motor, which provides for the cleaning of windows. The advantage of the second option is the presence of two different speeds.
Processing of the product is usually organized in an apiary, and insects can remain in the processed honeycombs. To prevent them from getting into the engine, you should take care of the protective net .
The electric honey extractor must be equipped with a switch , which can be a relay from the washing machine. The drive disk is assembled from the rotor, rheostat and bracket.
The stand is not a mandatory element of the honey extractor, but if it is available, the operation of the installation is simplified and becomes more reliable. It can be made from fittings using a welding machine.
The base of the stand is a ring. Its diameter should be greater than the diameter of the honey separator body. You can use a rim ring from ZIL or KAMAZ. Weld the stand legs and holder onto the main part of the stand. The height of the structure should be oriented to the volume of the honey separator body and its productivity.
Stand racks should be reinforced with rigid ribs. For a long service life of the structure, you need to paint it or coat it with a primer for metal.
How to make a stand for the honey extractor can be seen in the following video:
Honey separator - equipment needed in the apiary. You can make it on your own from various materials. To do this, you need to prepare certain tools and materials. It is important to correctly determine the dimensions of the structure and cassettes for it. The success of the operation of the honey separator depends on these factors.