Masha cucumbers belong to the F1 class hybrid, they are distinguished by a high level of yield, rapid ripening, resistance to many diseases and excellent taste indices. They are considered an early self-pollinated gherkin, which has the property of long-term storage. For this reason, the fruits are actively grown for wholesale.
Seeds of cucumbers “Masha”
Variety "Masha" record holder for productivity: More than 10 kg of cucumbers can be collected from one square meter
Variety description Masha
Class F1 means that the cucumber is a hybrid of the first generation, the seeds of which are grown by laborious and lengthy selection. Namely, during the cultivation of varieties, various species of gherkins were crossed, cross-cutting and artificially pollinating them.
Masha can be considered a heterotic variety, that is, it is a cucumber that surpasses its "parents" in all characteristic indicators. These factors indicate that the seeds collected at home do not plant again, since improved characteristics can only be achieved by breeding the first generation.
The plant belongs to a determinant species (the main stem stops growth after the formation of a brush with flowers). Has a limited number of shoots, which are characterized by power and medium height. In this case, shoots during the formation of the bush can be disposed vertically and horizontally. Feature - Masha is grown both in seedling and seed method (in a greenhouse, on open ground).
Description of the bushes:
- netting - medium;
- leaves - slightly wrinkled, medium size;
- flowering - female (due to this there are no empty flowers);
- in one node there can be 6-7 ovaries.
- shape - cylindrical, tuberous;
- surface - pimply with a light fluff of a white hue;
- color - dark green with the presence of light streaks and spots;
- the weight of one fruit varies from 90 to 100 grams;
- length - 8-11 cm;
- diameter - from 3 to 3.5 cm;
- the pulp has a high juiciness;
- peel crunches;
- bitterness is absent;
- there are no voids inside;
- the skin is thick, compacted.
Variety Masha has a wide range of purposes - preservation, pickling, use in the form of salad, etc. Feature - even after salting and heat treatment, elasticity and crunch are preserved.
Ripening dates and productivity
The first crop can be harvested 36-40 days after the appearance of the primary seedlings. For a massive harvest, just wait a few days.
To achieve maximum productivity, ripened greenbacks must be collected every day. This makes it possible to form new ovaries.
The fruits of Masha do not grow more than 11 cm, do not undergo yellowing, but if they are not removed, then the yield decreases, and the taste deteriorates. This is due to the fact that Zelentsy are parthenocarpic.
If we talk about productivity, then with 1 square. m can be removed up to 10 kg of cucumbers. At the same time, the last crop is harvested in late September - early October.
Features of planting and care
Caring for gherkins and landing them does not require special skills, but still there are rules that must be followed.
Seed selection and preparation
Seed material is necessarily prepared regardless of the chosen method of cultivation and planting. On sale you can find seeds that have already been processed (they are painted in bright colors).
If the seeds are not disinfected, then you need to place them in a light solution of manganese for 15 minutes. After this, drain the liquid, put the seeds on moistened gauze and cover it with it. So the seed should lie for 5 days (the tissue is periodically wetted with water). At the moment when the grains are placed in the solution, it is necessary to carry out the selection of hollow elements. They always float to the surface.
Site selection and soil preparation
For proper crop rotation you need space. On the site should not be predecessors in the form of pumpkins, squash, squash, melon. It is best to sow Masha after cauliflower and white cabbage, legumes and onions.
Mandatory soil preparation. It is advisable to do it back in the fall. To do this, a solution of 1 liter of wood ash, 3 buckets of manure, 100 grams of nitrophosphate fertilizer is applied (this dosage is designed for 1 sq. M). If top dressing was not carried out in autumn, then at the beginning of spring it is necessary to remove 20 cm of soil, pour a layer of manure and cover it with removed soil from above, and then form beds.
If the cucumber is grown by seedling, then the land is prepared in another way:
- in equal proportions combine peat, sand, humus, soil with leaves;
- disinfect the soil by heating or scalding with boiling water.
The method of planting is selected based on the growing method - seedling or seedling.
Masha is recommended to be watered in the early morning or late evening time. Otherwise, cucumbers will be burned by sunlight. To maintain the optimum level of moisture in the soil (minimum - 75%, maximum - 85%), watering is carried out by drip. In the absence of such a possibility, water is supplied from a watering can with a shallow nozzle.
Watering rules depending on the method of planting:
- On the open ground, Masha is watered based on the amount of precipitation. Loosening the soil is not necessary immediately, but the next day.
- When growing in greenhouse conditions, watering is carried out every other day. One bush requires an average of one and a half liters of water.
It is strictly forbidden to use cold water (mainly warm) for watering. This is due to the fact that productivity decreases, and inflorescences are showered.
Top dressing is carried out after 10-14 days, but the first fertilizer application is recommended for 18 days after a dive to a permanent place. Throughout the entire period, fertilizers (minerals and organics) must be alternated. Alternative medicine is also excellent for replenishment - dandelion infusion, nettle, yeast. Periodically, it is necessary to spray the plants with Bordeaux liquid, a weak solution of manganese, a liquid from wood ash.
Feeding rules, based on the method of planting:
- When planting seeds in the garden during flowering and growth of greenery, dressing is carried out up to 6 times. Initially, you need to make a urea solution (1 box of matches on a bucket of water). Next, potassium and phosphorus are needed.
- If cucumbers are grown in a greenhouse , then Kemira Lux fertilizer is first introduced (1 tbsp of minerals per bucket of water). After that, organic fertilizer is required (for 10 liters of water 1 liter of mullein, 20 grams of ash).
Weeding and cultivation
Aeration allows you to saturate the soil with enough oxygen, nutrients, so that it remains light and fluffy. Weeding is needed to remove weeds that absorb the necessary minerals, water and do not allow the root system of cucumbers to grow.
Loosening and weeding are carried out as the weeds grow. On average, this is every 7-14 days. After these manipulations, it is recommended to spud the bushes. The tool is not deepened deep into the soil, as there is a risk of damage to the roots.
How to form a bush correctly?
Yield depends on how well the bush is formed. To do this, pinch the shoots, mustache, ovaries, remove leaves, direct the creeping shoots in a certain direction. It is advisable to grow Masha on a trellis, which creates comfortable conditions for ventilation and collection.
To increase productivity, experts advise to form only one stem. How to do it:
- Separate 4 leaf sinuses from the bottom, remove the ovaries and shoots here;
- in the other 4 leave one leaf and one ovary;
- after it remains from 9 to 12 sinuses - two ovaries and two leaves;
- from 13 to 16 sinuses, three ovaries and three leaves must be left;
- then everything is removed and the place of growth is pinched.
Mustache must be removed, the stem is installed on a wooden support.
Features of seedling and seedling methods of growing
The seedling method of cultivating a crop makes it possible to harvest as early as possible. In addition, it is possible to control the conditions - temperature, level of illumination and humidity. In this case, you must adhere to the following rules:
- When seeds are planted, the temperature should not exceed 28 degrees. How to plant cucumbers for seedlings - read here .
- When the first shoots appear, the temperature regime decreases (maximum +18).
- 7-10 days prior to a dive to a permanent place, the seedlings are quenched. For this, the culture is taken out to a cool place (first for an hour, then time gradually increases).
- When transplanting, the actions should be neat, since the roots are still weak. Experienced gardeners recommend planting seed in pots with a volume of half a liter made of peat and humus.
- In the greenhouse, the bush develops to the formation of strong 3 leaves, after which it is transferred to the garden bed.
Growing sprouts in greenhouse conditions has many advantages, but there is also a significant drawback - poor ventilation and high humidity create favorable conditions for the development of pathogenic microorganisms.
To avoid plant infection, the greenhouse is disinfected. Usually these are special smoke products that are installed evenly throughout the room and set on fire. In this condition, the greenhouse should stand for 5 days, after which it is recommended to thoroughly ventilate the "room". Make sure that there are no gaps through which the disinfecting substance will escape.
- Once every three years, remove the topsoil in the greenhouse (maximum 7 cm) and replace it with new soil.
- Add compost, loam, horse manure to the ground.
- It is useful to apply potash, phosphorus, organic fertilizers. For this, wood ash, superphosphate, urea is used.
In the modern world, peat tablets for planting seeds that do not damage the root system when transplanting seedlings can be found on sale. The seed is introduced into the tablet, and when the seedling is transplanted, you need to remove the protective film and plant the sprout in the ground.
In open soil, seeds are laid exclusively in well-warmed soil. The site should be moderately sunny (there should be a shadow during hot hours) and without drafts. Further adhere to the following requirements:
- 20 days before planting seeds in open ground, digging is carried out to the depth of the shovel.
- At the same time, humus or compost is introduced (dosage per 1 sq. M - a fertilizer bucket).
- When planting, in each hole you need to add a handful of humus and 1 tbsp. l urea.
- Water the hole, place the seed.
- Make a mulching, cover with plastic wrap. Leave it until the first seedlings are formed. So that they appear evenly, adhere to the same depth of laying of the seed material.
Seed material is deepened into the soil by 2-3 cm, no more. The horizontal type of growth (stems are on the ground) suggests a planting pattern of 80x60, a vertical view (trellis is used) - 20x100 cm.
Diseases and Pests
Variety Masha is quite resistant to many diseases that are inherent in cucumbers. However, adverse conditions, as well as insufficiently proper care contribute to the defeat of the following diseases:
- Cucumber mosaic. It is characterized by deformation of fruits and leaves, mottling. For preventive purposes, it is necessary to remove weeds and treat the leaf part with ash (moisten the leaves with water from a spray bottle, pour crushed ash). For the fight, the drug Fundazole is used.
- White rot. It appears as a whitish fluffy coating on the fruits, stems, foliage. To prevent the development of white rot, the bushes are covered with a film with a sharp decrease in temperature. To get rid of the disease, you have to remove and destroy the affected areas. The rest of the bush is sprayed with a special solution (take 10 grams of urea, a couple grams of copper sulfate in a bucket of water).
- Powdery mildew. Signs of pathology are the formation of brown spots on the leaf part of the plant, fluffy plaque that occurs with the progression of the disease. For prevention, leaves are sprinkled with chopped wood ash. Fundazole is used for treatment.
- Anthracnose. It is characterized by leaf damage (white or yellowish spots are formed). To avoid infection, it is necessary to spray the plant with a weak solution of manganese. For the fight using the drug HOM, Ridomil Gold. Sore areas are removed.
Like any cucumber variety, pests love Masha. Among insects, the following are most often attacked:
- Aphid. You can recognize the pest by the following signs: curl of leaves, the formation of spots on them. In addition, the ovaries and color begin to rapidly fall. You can prevent insects from plaque and get rid of them by spraying with the following means:
- a solution of tobacco dust;
- drug Fitoverm;
- soapy water (dark laundry soap is used);
- infusion of wood ash.
- Slug. With the appearance of slugs on the fruits and stems, mucous paths can be noticed. The pest actively eats the leaf part of the plant. For prevention and treatment, the following methods are used:
- often loosen the soil, while sprinkling it with tobacco dust or wood ash;
- sprinkle Thunderstorm on the ground under a bush;
- also use Metaldehyde.
- Thrips. It differs in the deformation of the leaves - they acquire a cup-shaped appearance. In addition, scars form on the fruits. Control and prevention measures:
- remove weeds in a timely manner;
- avoid the appearance of wheatgrass and sow thistle;
- spray the plant with Fitoverm;
- irrigate leaves with tincture of yarrow decoction.
- Spider mite. The appearance of an insect leads to deformation of the leaves and the formation of a thin cobweb. You can get rid of the tick and prevent its appearance in this way:
- wash stems and leaves with water and laundry soap;
- spray with dandelion infusion;
- use yarrow broth;
- apply tincture from celandine;
- apply Aldicarb or other pesticides to the soil.
Harvesting and storage
You can start harvesting when you reach a fruit size of 8 cm. You should not wait for the time when the cucumber grows to 10-11 cm, as in this case the peel is compacted.
If the seedling method of cultivation is used, then the harvesting period can be considered 37-40 days after the emergence of seedlings. When the seed is immersed in open ground, the ripening time increases by 2-3 weeks.
It is recommended to store the vegetable in the refrigerator for no more than 28-30 days. Use is allowed for salads, canning, pickling.
Pros and cons of cucumbers Masha
Advantages of Masha variety:
- ripening speed;
- crunch even after heat treatment;
- excellent taste indicators;
- unpretentiousness of care and cultivation;
- resistance to diseases and pests when properly maintained;
- fruiting ability without pollination (parthenocarpy);
- the possibility of growing in different ways (horizontally, vertically, seedlings and seedlings);
- wide range of use;
- high productivity.
- there is no possibility of collecting seeds (you need to buy new ones annually);
- weakness of the root system (when transplanting seedlings, you need to be careful).
Nikolay, 28 years old.
I’m planting Masha for 6 years in a non-seedling way. Of course, I harvest the crop a little later than when transplanting seedlings, but then I don’t need to fool my head - I threw the seeds into the ground and take care of them. Cucumber is resistant to disease, unpretentious and tasty.
Marina, 56 years old.
Masha cucumber is planted with seedlings, then I transfer it to the open ground. But for planting seeds I use peat tablets - it is very convenient and safe for the root system. I use fruits for salads, preservation. But I collect them when the cucumber reaches a length of 8-9 cm, not more. So the skin is very tender and crispy. It is a pity that every year we have to acquire new seeds.
Valentine, 44 years old.
I like the Masha variety for its unpretentiousness and ease of care. But I am especially pleased that before canning they do not need to be pre-soaked in water. Yes, and I harvest fresh every day. The taste is excellent, the smell is aromatic, there is a crunch and juiciness.
Video review of Masha variety
This video tells about the features of Masha cucumbers, how they look, what is remarkable, and how to care for them:
The variety of cucumber Masha enjoys well-deserved attention among all gardeners and farmers. It is characterized by high productivity, excellent storage and transportability. But for this you need to follow the simple rules of planting, growing, care and collection. This is an indispensable vegetable at any time of the year.