Angora rabbit is a group of breeds raised for fluff. The resulting material is used to produce the famous Angora wool. The animals are unusually beautiful, so they are often kept for decorative purposes. We learn how to breed and maintain Angora breed - at home and in the farm.
Downy Angora rabbits first appeared in Turkey - in any case, the first mention of them is found here. It is also believed that the name of the breed comes from the capital of this state - Ankara.
Fluffy rabbits came to Europe thanks to sailors. Here they began to be bred as beautiful pets - outlandish animals were kept mostly by aristocrats. Over time, the breed spread to the whole world. In Russia, the Angora rabbit has been bred since the 19th century.
Today, the largest producer of Angora rabbit fur is China. Here they get more than 8,000 tons of raw materials.
Description and characteristics of Angora rabbit
Breeding Angora rabbits is preceded by the purchase of livestock. If the breed is supposed to be bred, it is especially important to acquire healthy animals corresponding to the exterior.
General features of the breed:
- Rabbits of all Angora subspecies have a shortened cylindrical body and a large head. The muzzle can be blunt or elongated - depending on the breed.
- The ears are small, with fluffy tassels at the ends. “Hairstyle” depends on the breed, but most have long hair.
- All rabbit subspecies grow their claws very quickly. They are sharp - the animal can cling tightly to the roots of trees and shrubs. Because of this, the claws of rabbits are sheared 2 times a month.
- The wool closes the eyes, so you have to comb it thoroughly. Fluff should not close your eyes.
Features of the choice of Angora rabbit:
- The age of the rabbit must be more than three months. By this time, the rabbit ceases to be fed with milk, acquires sexual and pedigree characteristics, the emotional-physical connection with the mother ceases. By the age of 3 months, the animal completely switches to adult food.
- It is recommended to buy young animals in special nurseries or from breeders specializing in breeding thoroughbred rabbits.
- The animal should have fun jumping from place to place, eat food with appetite. Rabbits prefer to rest, leaning on their side.
- The anus, eyes and nose should be clean.
- The coat should be soft to the touch and shiny. Coloring - according to the breed.
- The back is round, not obstructed and not hunchbacked.
- Bite - the upper row of teeth should hang slightly above the lower row.
- Appearance and weight must match the breed. The standard weight of the animal, depending on the subspecies, can be from 2 to 6 kg.
When buying a thoroughbred rabbit, be sure to check the documents confirming the breed, as well as the availability of vaccinations.
Fecundity of Down Bunnies
Angora rabbits bring in the first year two offspring. About 10-14 rabbits are obtained per year. Every year, the frequency of okrol increases. The total litter given by one rabbit - for 3-4 years, more than 40 cubs.
The color of Angora rabbits depends on the breed. He can be:
- fiery red;
- dark brown;
- chocolate - this is the rarest color.
It is believed that a purebred rabbit should be one-color, several colors in the color are considered a defect. Each color has its own color of eyes and claws. So, for example, a snow-white rabbit has only red or blue eyes.
Angora rabbits, as befits the entire rabbit family, are shy. Being near animals, you can not make noise and move sharply. The animals are silent, they make almost no sounds. This is especially true for decorative varieties. Rabbits of this breed also have a friendly and playful disposition.
In the video below, the breeder talks about the nature of Angora rabbits:
The average life expectancy of an Angora rabbit, with good care, is 6-8 years. The life span of animals in cages is longer than in pits or in the field. Animals on farms are usually rejected at 5-6 years. The life span of rabbits is even shorter - 4 years. After 4 years, the female’s productivity decreases, keeping her becomes unprofitable.
Angora rabbit breeds
Breeders bred several breeds of Angora rabbits that differ in size, body structure, length and color of hair.
Weight and annual amount of fluff in popular Angora rabbit breeds:
|Breed||The annual amount of fluff from one individual, g||Weight of an adult rabbit, kg||Wool length cm|
Other features of the breed:
- English The muzzle is flat, the head is wide. The body is completely covered with fur. Every 3 days combing is required.
- Satin (satin). There is no wool on the face, paws and ears. Wool of higher quality than other breeds - it is more durable.
- French On the ears are tassels. There is no fur on the face and paws. Wool is not as whimsical as other breeds - thorough care is not required.
- Germanic. They have snow-white fur and red eyes.
- Gigantic. The fluff is only white. On the ears are tassels. Very fluffy rabbits, molt a little. In purebred individuals, the color is only white.
- Downy. Coloring - black, smoky, blue. There are tassels on the ears. Wool 92–96% consists of down, the rest is the rest of the hair.
- Russian dwarf. The case is firmly knocked down. The head is wide. The ears are short. The coat is white, black, pinto, blue, red and pinto. Bred on the territory of the USSR.
English “Angora rabbit”
satin (satin) “Angora rabbit”
French “Angora rabbit”
German “Angora rabbit”
giant “Angora rabbit”
down “Angora rabbit”
Russian dwarf “Angora rabbit”
Pros and cons of the breed
- High yield of wool. Angora rabbits - participants of agricultural exhibitions, fairs, festivals.
- Decorativeness. The animals are kept at home for pleasure, just like a pet.
- Calm behavior. The animal makes a minimum of sounds, not aggressive, not scratched.
- The animals are quite small. They seem large due to fluffy fur. Due to its low weight, this breed is not profitable to breed for meat.
- Careful care is required. Animals tend to hurt when poorly maintained.
- With home maintenance, the problem of marking the territory with a male arises. Solves the problem of castration or content in the cell.
- The animal must constantly grind its teeth, as they grow throughout its entire life. Because of this, domestic rabbits can nibble on furniture and wallpapers.
Fluffy rabbits look like big downy balls. Many people, fascinated by the beauty of the Angora breed, give birth to them as pets. Before bringing an animal into the house, it is useful to learn about the features of its content.
Angora rabbit care
- Angora rabbits are combed regularly - once a week.
- Animals are washed with special solutions - they are sold in veterinary pharmacies. Rabbits do not like water procedures.
- Shear animals every 3-4 weeks. It is allowed to dry the hair with a hairdryer - at the same time, dead hair is blown out.
- Care tools - metal combs, slickers and scissors.
- At home, the rabbit is kept in a cage that needs to be cleaned regularly. Remains of feed and feces are washed and cleaned. If you keep the animal in the mud, it will surely fall ill, catching some kind of infection. It is difficult, long and expensive to treat rabbits.
- In a cage they place a bowl for food, a drinking bowl, a compartment for hay, a toilet - the animals like to cope in one place, a rug and toys. You can put a box in the cage - the animal will hide in it with pleasure.
- The cell is ventilated daily for half an hour. The stale air is harmful to rabbits.
- Humidity is recommended low so that the animals do not develop pneumonia and other diseases of the respiratory system.
Rules and principles of feeding:
- The main food is concentrated feed mixtures, hay, vegetables. It is also fashionable to give crackers and dairy products. Daily in the diet should be present seasonal fruits, herbs, juicy root crops.
- Rabbits need to be fed on time, otherwise they will chew on inedible objects.
- Greens are given only sluggishly - it should lie down a bit. Rabbits are happy to eat alfalfa, reeds, hogweed.
- Together with food, animals can receive vitamin and mineral supplements.
- It is forbidden to give moldy bread to rabbits.
- A special design drinking bowl should always be in the feeding area so that the rabbit cannot contaminate it with feed or its own feces.
Food bowls should be ceramic - so that the rabbit does not gnaw them.
Although rabbits and timid, they lend themselves to training. In order for the animal to get used to the person, it is often necessary to stroke it in the coat. Taming is also facilitated by feeding all sorts of goodies. Rabbits have a sensitive sense of smell, so they remember the smell of their master, and respond positively to it.
Angora rabbits stand out with their intelligence and ingenuity among their own kind. They are able to carry out simple commands. However, training requires patience and regular training from the host. The rabbit must be released from the cage every day. But you can’t leave him unattended - he will definitely gnaw something. Electric wires are especially dangerous - animals, gnawing them, are struck by electric current.
It is recommended to walk domestic rabbits in the fresh air, for this purpose they buy a special leash.
Do you get along with other pets?
Angora rabbits are peaceful, they easily get along with other animals - cats, dogs and others. If you raise a puppy and a rabbit together, they will certainly be friends.
Rabbits love the affectionate attitude, therefore, before you get a fluffy lump, you should evaluate your capabilities - will there be enough time and desire to take care of the pet.
When breeding rabbits on a farm, they are equipped with sheds with street enclosures - they are enclosed by a mesh-netting. A pit containment method for down rabbits is not acceptable. When keeping down rabbits, the main thing is to keep the fluff clean. And its brilliance and beauty depend on the usefulness of the diet.
Young animals are kept separately from adults. Animals are kept in small groups, separated by gender. Pugnacious rabbits are placed in separate cages.
Is it profitable to grow?
Unlike rabbits bred for meat, downy breeds cannot be kept in pits. They need clean and dry enclosures, the construction of which requires funds, and prices for wool always fluctuate greatly. Ten years ago, they fell so low that the owners of Angora rabbits stopped receiving financial benefits from their breeding.
After another crisis, rabbit breeding in Russia was almost destroyed. Recently, the breeding of downy rabbits is experiencing another rise. But Russian rabbit breeders have a major competitor, China, and they also produce a lot of Angora wool in Europe.
The down rabbit breeding business cannot be called super profitable - it requires material investments and careful care of the animals. But since rabbit breeding in Russia is now in decline, the one who engages in the down business will certainly find a market and will not be left in the loser.
Products made of rabbit fluff are pleasant to the touch, they are soft and silky. They are hypoallergenic, and even have a certain therapeutic effect - they help with neuralgia and radiculitis.
Today there are very few things made of Angora wool on sale, but abroad, jackets, knitwear are made from it, they are made from felt, velor, etc. Rabbit fluff products are equated in value with vicuna, alpaca and cashmere. In contrast, rabbit fluff does not need expensive processing - washing, drying, etc., it can immediately be put into processing. And this is another argument in favor of the development of down business.
The video below talks about the appointment of fluff Angora rabbit:
Down rabbits are kept in perfect cleanliness. Their cells are regularly cleaned, cleaned and washed - this is the only way to maintain high quality wool. Where animals live, there should be no garbage, even traditional litter of hay or sawdust is not thrown here - so that the excrement fails immediately, and the wool is not smeared. The cage should be perfectly smooth inside so that the rabbit does not catch and hurt.
How to feed Angora rabbits:
- The Angora breed is fed according to the same standards as ordinary rabbits of meat-animal direction. The difference is only in the rate of digestible protein. The daily norm for adults is 19-24 g. Therefore, Angoroks are fed with meal, cake, meat and bone meal, skim milk, legumes and special compound feeds.
- Animals do not require any special nutrition, except for preparations for dissolving wool in the stomach.
- To spend less grain and concentrates, increase the proportion of succulent and green fodder.
- Up to six months, the animals are fed unlimitedly with full-dose granules and hay. After six months, decorative rabbits are limited in feed - so that there is no obesity. It is also contraindicated for animals bred to fluff to eat fat, as excess fat reduces productivity - the hair becomes shorter.
- In order for the coat to grow well, the animals are fed with pellets with a high protein content of 18%.
- Angora rabbits are fed:
- hay - alfalfa, timothy, meadow forbs;
- concentrates - polnoratsionny granules;
- compound feed consisting of oats, barley, wheat, corn;
- succulent feed - root vegetables, vegetables, fresh grass.
- White cabbage is better not to give. From fresh leaves of cabbage in rabbits, bloating occurs due to fermentation in the stomach. Trouble often ends fatally.
- Drinking bowls use nipple drinkers - of which animals can drink without wetting their hair. If the hairs get wet, dust, dirt will stick to them, the wool will fall into the tangles, which will have to be cut.
Juicy feed is given with caution, monitoring the intestines of rabbits. If fluffy animals start diarrhea, their coat will be smeared. And bathing rabbits is undesirable.
To avoid wetting and contamination of the hair, they cut it in particularly vulnerable places - near the anus and muzzle.
Compared to other breeds, Angora matures late. Females happen at the age of one year, other breeds - at 6 months. At once, the rabbit gives birth to 8 cubs. The pregnant rabbit is kept in comfort, maintain favorable humidity and temperature. Do not allow their sudden changes.
70% of females contain for the sake of fluff, 30% are used to obtain young animals, which are quickly replaced. After the female gives two generations, she is used in the future only as a downy fox.
The case occurs on the territory of the male. Often a "date" is not enough. The female is aggressive. If several males participate in the coating - at different times, the offspring will be more numerous. If the female does not accept the rabbit, then the conception has occurred. Rabbits are born in a month.
How to choose a rabbit for breeding to fluff:
- You need to buy livestock only in the nursery . Outbred rabbits can be sold on the market.
- Check the animal’s health . He should not have parasites, his eyes - clear, not blurred.
- Do not think that the high price is evidence of pure breed . Carefully study the signs of the exterior of a particular breed, and when buying animals, carefully compare them with the original.
When buying a pet, the main thing is to consider your decision - do you have time to care for a restless pet. If you take two heterosexual rabbits, but are not going to breed them, immediately contact the clinic to sterilize the animals.
Vaccinations and diseases
Rabbits are prone to intestinal and gastric diseases, so they are monthly shown to a veterinarian. Fluffy animals, swallowing wool - especially during molting, can be lethargic, they lose their appetite.
Vaccinations for Angora rabbits are done more often than other breeds:
- the first - in 1.5 months;
- the second - after 3 months;
- the following is repeated every six months.
After vaccination, the animal may be lethargic and refuse to eat - this is a normal reaction. Vaccinations do not save from all diseases, rabbits can still get sick. At the first alarming symptoms - discharge from the nose, eyes or anus, immediately consult a veterinarian.
The most common diseases:
- Encephalozoonosis. This parasitic disease affects the nervous system and internal organs.
- Myxomatosis. Infectious disease, affects the skin.
- Cataract. Blurred eyes.
- Coccidiosis Infectious disease, affects the liver and intestinal mucosa.
Valeria, 27 years old, Yeisk.
The Angora rabbit got me without documents - he, or rather her, was simply thrown out in the country, after playing enough. Over time, the animal ceased to be afraid of me, ate from his hands, learned to walk in the tray. Never biting or scratching. There is nothing complicated in keeping a rabbit if you feel warm feelings for it.
Vasily K, amateur rabbit breeder, Tula region
A few years ago I bought with great difficulty the English Angora. Cool breed. Subtleties of the content are, but not critical. So, for example, hay was constantly tangled up in fluff, but the problem was solved by switching to grass flour. The English Angora fluff is long, but not slipping. You did not have to comb it, just cut it regularly. Under the tail, the hair was also cut out - for cleanliness and hygiene.
In order for the down-rabbit breeding business to make a profit, it is necessary to correctly organize the process, ensuring both livestock reproduction and a high gross product. Growing Angora requires a breeder care and attention to animals, if you are not ready to delve into the nuances of a rabbit life, this activity is not for you.