In rabbit farming, the presence of houses for animals is mandatory. They can be purchased ready-made or custom-made to order. But it is expensive, and the design may be unreliable, and last a short time. Therefore, the best option would be to build cages for rabbits with their own hands.
Choosing a cell location
If you need to build cages for rabbits, the question arises - where to place them? It is important to choose a place so that the animals, being in it, do not experience the effects of negative factors, but feel as comfortable as possible. Observe certain requirements when keeping animals in a permanent place:
- Protect rabbits from drafts. Gusts of wind more than 30 m / s will provoke acute diseases, leading to mortality by livestock. These animals are very sensitive to the through movement of cold air.
- At elevated temperatures and humid air, active reproduction of pathogenic microorganisms occurs, the source of which is feces. Therefore, organize high-quality ventilation, eliminating air congestion and saturating the room with oxygen.
- Prepare the cells for the winter. Do not save on litter, insulate the walls of rabbitry when it is outdoors or turn on the heating indoors. Keep the temperature of rabbits in the range from +10 to +20 ºС.
Take special care to warm the rabbit housing for pregnant females and rabbits with cubs.
Depending on the climate, the size of the population and the availability of free space, rabbit houses can be located on the street or indoors. Each of the options has certain requirements.
Terrain requirements when placing cells on the street
Placing cages with rabbits in an open room is possible in regions with a mild climate, where winters are quite mild and short, without severe frosts. Otherwise, the animals simply can not stand the effects of the cold and die.
The location of the cage for rabbits in the open air must meet some requirements:
- To be dry, which means being away from artificial or natural reservoirs. You cannot place cells in the lowlands and in a place where groundwater is close to the surface of the earth. This condition is necessary due to the fact that rabbits very poorly tolerate air humidity above 75%. Animals become painful, stunted and may eventually die.
- Cells should not be exposed to the scorching sun. It is advisable that trees or shrubs scatter direct sunlight or a canopy can be built.
In severe climatic conditions, a closed room cannot be dispensed with. Such shelters must meet several mandatory conditions:
- To warm the cells with the sun in the daytime and the maximum amount of light arrives, place window openings in the room on the south side. Thus, the duration of light for will be as natural as possible.
- If the longitude of the day has a short period of time, additional lighting will be required. Also consider the moment of maintaining heat in the winter. An excellent option, providing light and heat in the room, is the use of infrared lamps.
- Plaster the inner surface of the walls. Plastering will prevent condensation and help keep warm in a shelter in winter.
- The room should provide such an arrangement of cells so that air circulates freely between them, and the front part of the houses is facing east.
- Indoor cages should be placed on supports with a height of at least 60 cm. This will become an obstacle to the cages of rodents and other pests, provide optimal microclimatic conditions and comfort for humans during animal care activities.
You can build a cage for rabbits using various building materials. To ensure environmentally friendly conditions, it is recommended to use natural wood. It should be treated with antifungal compounds to improve performance.
The necessary materials involved in the construction of the rabbit cage also include:
- wooden beam and boards;
- wooden slats with a width of 30-40 mm;
- a metal mesh with small cells (otherwise rabbits can get stuck and damage their paws);
- knitting or other metal wire of medium diameter;
- pallets made of plastic, corresponding to the cells of the size.
It is not recommended to use chipboard instead of plywood, because it, when it absorbs moisture, quickly becomes unusable and crumbles, creates conditions for the reproduction of microbes, which affects the well-being of rabbits.
What tools will be needed?
Useful tools familiar to almost every person. To work smoothly and calmly, without interrupting in their search, prepare the inventory in advance.
To collect a rabbit cage, you may need:
- electric jigsaw (or hacksaw);
- screwdriver and screws;
- hammer and small nails;
- construction stapler with brackets;
- side cutters or pliers for wire mesh;
- copper or aluminum wire;
Cell dimensions and drawing
The type and size of rabbitry depends primarily on the number of individuals and breed. So, for example, for decorative rabbits there is enough space up to 0.5 square meters. m, and with the maintenance of medium and large breeds as breeding for economic purposes, this space will be small, and the house should have additional rooms for certain functions (okrol, keeping young animals, etc.).
According to the type of construction rabbitry can be:
- single-tier or multi-tiered;
- portable or stationary;
- with a walk and without such an opportunity;
- sheds, etc.
There are also many copyright designs, for example, according to the method of Zolotukhin, Mikhailov, Nikitin, etc.
Cages for rabbits have a different layout and size depending on gender, age and breed of pets. Females are kept separate from males to avoid conflicts due to competition between both sexes and unplanned incidents.
Cell features for different cases:
- Pregnant rabbits need an individual room in order to be able to spend a period of gestation in peace and to give birth to healthy offspring. Such cells necessarily have mother cells, where lambing occurs and babies grow up.
- For animals of the same sex and weight and age group, group cells can be provided. Males with an aggressive character need to be jailed in single houses.
To create a diagram or drawing of a cage for rabbits, take a regular notebook sheet in a cage, a sheet of A4 size or graph paper, a ruler and a pencil. Draw the necessary cell, indicating its size and observing the proportions on the paper. Consider the attachment points of the door, feeders and drinking bowls on the drawing. Indicate additional compartments and partitions. List the list of necessary materials and blanks from them.
Ready-made cell schemes are available on the Internet, as well as publications on rabbit breeding. Use one of these options, or based on them, come up with your own design.
The drawing of a single-tier cage for young animals and females with cubs can be of any kind and design. It is important only to improve it if necessary, adding to the mother liquor:
a - a cage for keeping young animals: 1 - a door; 2 - folding feeder; b - a cage with a constant nesting compartment for keeping two nursing females: 1 - feeding trough; 2 - mesh door; 3 - a partition; 4 - manhole; 5 - nesting compartment; 6 - mother liquor.
A cage made entirely of metal mesh may look like this:
The multi-tier cages for rabbits save space and facilitate the care of animals:
Cell parameters for rabbits according to breed and age
Each cage should accommodate one adult female or male. If this is young, then 5-6 goals are placed in one cage. Repair females have a group of 2-3 individuals, and repair males after 100 days of age are placed in a single cage.
To optimally use the space for rabbitry and effectively place rabbits in houses, consider the size of their dwellings, depending on the breed and age. Recommended rabbit cell sizes are shown in the table below:
|Age category and breed||The length of the house, cm||Width of the dwelling, cm||Height of the house, cm||The area required by 1 animal, sq. m|
|Middle-aged adult||100-120||70||60-80 on the front and 45 on the back||0.6-0.7|
|Large Breed Adult||150||70||70-80 on the front and 45 on the back||1.05|
|Young growth (group of 6 individuals)||100||38||50 front and 35 rear||-|
Step-by-step instructions for making cells
Making rabbitry in the presence of a scheme, the necessary materials and tools is not difficult.
One-piece cage for an adult
Despite the fact that the size of the houses and their appearance can vary significantly, the construction of the cells includes a single assembly algorithm, which consists of several stages:
- Before starting assembly, all wooden building materials must be treated with a fungicidal composition or antiseptic. This will prevent the rotting of the tree during operation and will not allow the penetration into and reproduction of pathogens. Choose gentle compounds with a minimum content of chlorine and other substances that have a negative effect on rabbits.
- Prepare a bar 40x40 mm. Saw it so that you get pieces of length: 2 pieces of 120 cm, 3 pieces of 62 cm. And connect according to the diagram using wood screws with a press washer:
This will be the skeleton of the cell bottom. Next, take a grid measuring 120x70 cm with a cell of 12.5x50 mm and a wire diameter of 2 mm, and fix it on the frame with self-tapping screws.
Winter cages need a wooden floor. Assemble it from the racks, fixing them with self-tapping screws. Leave small gaps between them. This flooring is environmentally friendly, natural and warm, but over time it will have to be replaced with a new one due to rotting.
- For the sidewalls you will need a edged board 200 mm wide and 40 mm thick. It is necessary to prepare for each wall 4 segments with a length of 80 cm each. Fix each board on the frame of the bottom of the cage with screws:
- For the back wall, it is necessary to prepare 4 boards with a width of 200 mm, a thickness of 40 mm and a length of 120 cm each. Fasten each board joint to joint along the back wall of the cage using self-tapping screws.
- For the roof, take 4 boards with a width of 200 mm, a thickness of 40 mm and a length of 150 cm each. Connect the boards joint to joint, and screw them to the ends of the side walls with screws.
The roof can also be made of a sheet of slate, ondulin or moisture-proof plywood sheathed with a piece of linoleum.
- Build the cage facade using a metal mesh (mesh 25x25 mm, wire thickness 1.6 mm) so that the rabbits receive enough light, heat and fresh air. In addition, through a transparent wall, animals will study the surrounding space, and the breeder will be able to follow them without disturbing the peace of the pets.
The door frame is made of 40x20 mm timber. Fasten the grid, as shown in the diagram below. We put the door on the hinges. Do not forget to leave 1 cm gaps so that the door can open and close freely.
We install a latch on the door.
- Attach the legs from a beam of 50x50 mm to the assembled structure. The cage should be above the ground at a height of 60-80 cm. Keep in mind that it is possible to dig the legs into the ground for stability, so their length can be increased to 100-120 cm.
- The final step is the installation of feeders and drinking bowls.
The location of the cells in several floors can significantly save the area of the room.
Cage for males
Males need separate cells so that there are no conflicts and fights between them. When building rabbitry, keep in mind that the reproduction of rabbits directly depends on sufficient space in the home. In cramped conditions, the males will stop moving enough and become obese. This reduces the quality indicator when mating.
For rabbits with cubs
In nature, the female enters the hole in the hole, where the kids are warm and comfortable. Therefore, before such an event, it is necessary to place the rabbit in a cage with a uterine box. In it, animals feel safe and comfortable.
Newborn rabbits are deprived of fur, so one of the main requirements for the mother liquor is to keep the heat inside and protect the babies from the slightest draft.
To build such a cage, use the proposed scheme or create your own according to individual requirements:
* dimensions in cm
To assemble a cage with a nesting compartment, you will need a board, plywood, slats, mesh, screws, small nails, a hand saw or a jigsaw, door hinges. Prepare the details of the box according to the dimensions of the drawing and proceed with the collection. The build algorithm is as follows:
- Make a rabbit rabbit skeleton from the rails according to the diagram below:
Use corners to stiffen the structure.
- Board the frame with the boards so that the slats are inside. Do not touch the front wall yet.
The inside of rabbitry can be sheathed with plywood. The cavity between the board and plywood can be filled with sawdust to warm the box, if required by the conditions of detention.
- On the front wall, make a doorway from the slats and place under the nursery. Board the front wall with boards as shown in the diagram below:
- Cut the partition from a sheet of sanded chipboard according to the dimensions indicated in the diagram above.
- Make the door the size, not forgetting the gaps, so that the door can easily open and close. Install the hinges and place the door.
- Make a day nursery. The top cover must be movable, so fasten it to the hinges.
- It is recommended to install the roof on the hinges so that by lifting it on hot days, ventilate the mother liquor. Such a roof will make the process of caring for rabbits convenient.
A cage with a nest box for the female and offspring is ready.
For fattening young animals
Fattening cells are necessary for the placement of young rabbits from the mother 40 days after birth. Such measures cannot be dispensed with, since babies are already cramped with the female, and there is not enough milk for all of them.
At first, the animals are kept together in the cages for fattening, but when the young growth is 3.5-4 months old, they are separated by sex. For one individual, expect at least 0.15 square meters. m square.
The sizes of feedlots are presented in the table below:
|Cage length, cm||Cell height, cm||Cell depth, cm|
|Group content of young animals up to 3.5-4 months||60||thirty||60|
|Individual dwellings for older young fattening||thirty||thirty||60|
Such a dwelling is built from a standard set of material and does not require special knowledge and skills. It is advisable to first draw a drawing in order to prevent errors in the cutting of elements and the collection of blanks.
Prepare the following materials and tools for construction:
- wooden boards and timber;
- fine mesh metal mesh;
- tin sheet;
- canopies and castle mechanisms;
- a hammer;
- tape measure and pencil;
- pliers and side cutters;
- screwdriver or screwdriver;
- fasteners (wood screws, nails, etc.);
- saw or jigsaw.
Progress in building a cage for feeding young rabbits:
- Assemble the main frame from a wooden beam.
- When constructing a cage consisting of several tiers, make slopes from tin to divert animal waste products.
- From the boards, make the floor, leaving a distance of 1 cm between them.
- Break the total area into separate cells using rectangular blanks from a metal mesh with a small cell, fastening them together with wire or rivets.
- Sew the side walls of the frame skeleton with wood.
- Assemble the frame of the doors and sew them with a net. Install 2 hinges on each door.
- Place the necessary utensils in the house and boldly populate rabbits in it.
For outdoor use, make a gable roof using slate or moisture-proof plywood upholstered with tarpaulin.
Cages for rabbits after deposition from the mother
Rabbits up to 3 months of age are often kept on the same territory by large companies (15-20 animals each), and the cage differs from the home of adult rabbits only in size and a special feeding trough. To make such a rabbitry, follow these tips:
- Build the same frame of the dwelling that a cage for adult animals has, providing for each rabbit 0.5 square meters. m of space. Separate the house with the help of partitions, delimiting places for each individual, is not necessary. Divide the entire area of the dwelling into the aft compartment, which occupies 3/5 of the space, and the nest - the remaining space.
- Cover the nesting area with wood. Set the partition out of plywood by cutting an entry hole in it.
- Make the facade and the bottom of the aft compartment from a fine mesh. Secure the doors to additional vertical wooden supports located between the main beam using a pair of canopies. Install the locking mechanisms.
- The feeder is installed along the entire aft compartment so that half is located in the cage, and the second protrudes outward. If a metal mesh was used in its manufacture, then raise the feeder to a height of 3-5 cm so that the food does not mix and come into contact with waste products.
Such rabbitry can easily fit up to 10-12 young rabbits.
Two-tier (three-tier) sheds
Shed is a rectangular barn in which cells are located in several tiers. Between the rows of cells there is free space 1-1.5 m wide, so that the breeder has the ability to access each of the cells at the same time. The roof is gable, slate.
Such designs are very successful in large rabbit farms, which contain 500 individuals. Small breeders are building shed systems for keeping 30-50 animals. Building sheds is more economical than building a barn for rabbits.
When building sheds, consider some features:
- Sheds should be under a roof made of slate or other roofing material.
- The basis for the system is a wooden or metal frame of a rectangular shape, providing bilateral parallel arrangement of rabbit houses.
- Under the cells are sheets of metal with a slight slope, which provides support for cleanliness in the cells.
- Contact of the lower tier of cells with the surface of the earth is not allowed. It is located at a height of at least 50 cm to prevent freezing of rabbits in the winter.
- The use of sheds is advisable in regions where the winter air temperature does not fall below 35 ° C, and the summer does not rise above 35 ° C.
Before building, be sure to familiarize yourself with the various patterns of sheds and determine the most suitable for you. Transfer the drawing to paper, customizing it to your individual preferences and available materials. The most common option is a classic two-tier shed, presented in the figure below:
The construction of such a shed involves the execution of the work algorithm:
- Create a sturdy metal and wood structure. The whole system will be supported on it, so be especially careful and check the vertical and horizontal levels more often. Do not skimp on fasteners. It’s better to redo something now than to create an unsuitable building as a result.
- Divide the main frame height by the number of proposed tiers. Remember that the gap from floor to ceiling in the cage can not be less than 40 cm. When installing the tiers, do not place them tightly to each other, but leaving a distance between them equal to the dimensions of the pallets intended for waste in the course of life.
- Make the floors of the cells made of wood, leaving a distance of 15 mm between the slats.
- For upholstery, use a metal mesh. From the front side, install the doors on a wooden base with a mesh inside, securing them to the door hinges. Provide locking mechanisms.
- Install accessories for feeding animals.
- Upon completion of previous work, installation of the roof will remain. Use any available roofing materials. Make the roof so that rain and drafts are not allowed into the structure, and most importantly, into rooms with animals.
- Pour the floor inside the shed with concrete, lay it with tiles or make it out of wood.
Before the winter period, the sheds must be insulated, and when they are located in cold regions, it is recommended to provide a whole heating system.
Shed designs optimize the work of the breeder to care for rabbits, and create especially favorable living conditions for animals.
DIY making a rabbit cage according to the method of Mikhailov
Igor Mikhailov, a Russian academician, developed an autonomous system for keeping rabbits in the 70s of the last century. The design allows to reduce the breeder's work to a minimum, and animal welfare conditions to a maximum.
Rabbits are kept outdoors all year, breathing fresh air, and a smart cage provides them with proper care. Rabbits grown in this way are distinguished by endurance, wool quality and accelerated growth.
A simple modification cell according to the method of academician Mikhailov looks like this:
The rear view of the structure is shown in the figure below:
It is possible to build a multi-tiered house for pets, which will contain up to 20-25 individuals.
The features of rabbitry in this technology include:
- General sealed box for collecting manure.
- Autonomous design involves heating feeders and drinking bowls in the cold season.
- The cell has one blank wall - the north.
For keeping 2 animals, the cage must be made in the following sizes:
- total height - 210 cm;
- total width - 240 cm;
- the width of each compartment is 60 cm;
- compartment height - 70 cm;
- the height of the uterine compartment is 40 cm;
- the width of the uterine compartment is 35 cm;
- the angle of the inclined surface in the waste collection box is 45 °.
The construction of Mikhailovsky rabbit town does not require special building materials. The nomenclature is limited to a standard set of wooden blanks from timber, plywood, metal mesh and tin sheet.
To build such a cell with your own hands, perform several step-by-step operations:
- Assemble a stand from a wooden beam. It should be as strong and stable as possible to support the weight of the entire structure along with rabbits. Ideally, of course, build it on the basis of a metal profile.
Be sure to insulate the base frame by covering it with plywood or other wood.
- Assemble the base of the cell, lay in it the floor of the slats, with centimeter gaps between them.
- Set animal drinkers and feeders.
- Sew the north wall with plywood or osb material. Cover the remaining sides with a net. Hang the prepared doors on the facade.
- Place a partition for the uterine compartment, making an inlet in it.
- Make the roof shed of any material. The tree is preferably upholstered with tarpaulin or linoleum.
- Build a rectangular box in the form of a funnel from tin for rolling waste and feces.
- At the bottom of the box, place a pallet or other container for collecting manure.
It is not necessary to follow the clear dimensions and sequence of rooms in the cage. Change the position of the queen cell so that it is comfortable for the animals as well.
The manufacture of cells Zolotukhin
Nikolai Zolotukhin has been breeding rabbits for a long time, watching them and trying to improve their conditions to the maximum. As a result of such activity, the rabbit breeder came to the appearance of a special type of rabbitry made by his method.
An overview of the cells for rabbits according to the method of Nikolai Ivanovich Zolotukhin, see the video below:
Zolotukhin's cages provide rabbits with constant fresh air and an optimal amount of light, are easy to build, cost-effective, save space and make animal care easier.
The design of rabbitry has its own special nuances:
- The cells are arranged in three tiers in such a way that each floor is shifted back by 10-20 cm. This distance is covered by a grid through which the waste products of rabbits run into the sump, without falling into the lower cells.
- According to the rabbit breeder, animals experience extreme inconvenience if the floor in the cells is covered with a grid or slats with slats. Therefore, its cells suggest solid wood or slate flooring. The net is installed only along the back wall to remove feces.
- The design does not imply a permanent uterine box inside the cell. In the warmer months, the separated space covered with straw becomes the mother liquor, and for the winter a temporary installation of the nest box is possible.
- The feeder is attached to the door frame so that half of it is located inside the cage, and the second part protrudes outward. This makes cleaning and adding food easier.
Nikolai Ivanovich does not give the exact size of the cage, claiming that each rabbit breeder himself will decide what area can be allocated for the structure. Therefore, below we present the average cell parameters for medium and large rabbit breeds in the form of a table.
|Width cm||Height cm||Depth cm||Mesh width cm||Floor slope, cm||Doors, cm|
|200||150||80||15-20||5 to 7||40 × 40|
Installation of rabbit Zolotukhin should not cause difficulties and problems during work, which will require a standard simple set of building materials and tools.
For construction, follow the following algorithm of actions:
- Assemble a 200 x 80 cm frame base from the beams. Install the foundations of each tier.
- Cover the floor of the floors, not forgetting that a strip of 20 cm wide at the back wall is sewn up with a mesh. To form a slope in the front of the cage, fasten a wooden beam 5 cm high.
- On each middle floor, install slats, between which maintain a distance of 25-30 cm. There will be grass and hay feeders.
- The back walls are preferably sewn with polycarbonate so that moisture from manure does not spoil the material. Fix it in such a way that a bias is formed: the upper part of the wall of the first tier begins where the lattice of the upper tier ends.
- Assemble the door of the general design for all floors, attach the feeders on it. Doors for the uterine compartment are made of plywood, so that light does not get inside the mother liquor, irritating the rabbits.
- Sides the sides of the cage with thick plywood or other wood material.
- Protect the wooden corners inside the cage with metal corners to prevent damage to their animals.
- Roofing is carried out using slate, laying it so that the edges protrude at least 5 cm from the cell walls. This measure will prevent water from precipitation from entering the cell.
- Prepare the uterine box according to the general scheme, so that after the onset of cold weather it will be possible to use it.
- Make feeders and a sennik, and establish them. Cover the blanks of the feeders with sheet metal so that the rabbits do not gnaw at the wooden device.
The cage is ready. Its placement is possible both in open space and indoors.
Do you need a walk-in cage?
A house with a walk is not necessary, but if it is possible to place it on a site with lush lush grass, then the rabbits will be incredibly happy about it.
The walking compartment can be built separately or attached to an already completed rabbitry. Most often, the construction of such a pen is made of metal mesh in the form of a square structure. Running inside it, pets do not let the muscle system of the body weaken, strengthen their immunity and prevent their own obesity.
Each breeder decides to build a walk or not.
Mandatory attributes in rabbitry are feeders and drinking bowls. You can buy them in stores or make them yourself. When arranging a cell, consider the following tips:
- Do not use plates and other flat containers as accessories for feeding. Rabbits will turn them over, polluting the contents of the cage itself.
- Containers made of fragile thin plastic will quickly fail due to animal gnawing. In addition, pets may be injured by sharp edges when breaking fragments or swallowing them.
- Metal containers are stronger than those made of plastic, but the water in them quickly becomes cloudy.
- It is recommended to hang up drinking bowls and build them of an automatic type. There are already ready-made ones on sale, of various designs and modifications (throttle, nipple, vacuum, etc.).
- Make hay feeders from a grid.
- Provide feeders for bulk mixes and vegetables.
- Keep clean in the accessories for feeding.
Building a cage for rabbits with your own hands is a simple and exciting task. The end result will bring satisfaction to the breeder, and will be the key to comfortable breeding of animals. Healthy offspring, well-fed rabbits with excellent quality fur and meat - all this is possible with a house assembled by your own hands and favorable conditions for maintenance and care.