Stately pigeons are distinguished by a special proud article. They have a protruding chest and pronounced hydropathy. The whole appearance of these birds indicates a strong body and high productivity.
Who are stately pigeons?
Stately pigeons are a large group, which includes many breeds that differ from each other:
- body shape;
- plumage color;
- flight qualities.
The main difference between this group is the external characteristics, which serve as key criteria in determining the “statics” of a rock.
Stately pigeons are not distinguished in world catalogs as a separate group. In Russia, it has been since 1982. The homeland of these birds is the Don and Kuban lands - here, stately breeds have been bred for about 200 years. Later, these pigeons appeared in the Volga region, then - in the Urals in Siberia.
Stately breeds are invariable participants in pigeon exhibitions held in Russia. As a result of breeding, many varieties were bred, each new line gets a name in honor of the area where they were bred.
The breed was first introduced to the world in 1975 at the Budapest show. Here, Russian pigeons showed Rostov white-breasted pigeons, which received the highest ratings and earned the sympathy of the audience. In Czechoslovakia, at the 1980 exhibition, the Volga ribbon pigeon rightfully received the title of champion.
What should be the "stats" indicators?
"Staticity" in pigeon rocks is determined by external signs. All representatives of stately breeds are united by a peculiar physique and graceful posture. The appearance is characterized by the following symptoms:
- wide raised chest;
- tail with one or two dozen tail feathers;
- hydrofoil, wings should be lowered lower than the tail.
In total, pigeon breeders distinguish three subgroups of stately rocks:
- winged wings.
Belonging to one of the above subgroups is established in one of the following ways:
- The ratio of the position of different parts of the body to a horizontal surface. Indicators are measured in degrees. This method is quite complicated, it requires measurements and calculations.
- Positions of different parts of the body relative to the vertical line - it passes from the paws of the pigeon, along the body up. Pigeon farmers determine, in particular, how the head, body, wings, neck, tail are located relative to this line.
In the first and second case, determining to become a bird, they look at it in profile. Let us consider in more detail the varieties of pigeons that differ in the article.
Types of Stately Doves
Stately pigeons are divided according to external and flight characteristics. External features make it possible to distinguish three subgroups of rocks.
These birds are medium in size, less often - small. A characteristic feature is the lowered tips of the wings. The ends of the wings are below the level of the tail, they can even reach the horizontal surface on which the pigeon sits. The tails of the winged pigeons are raised, their neck is at rest - it does not shake.
Popular winged breeds:
- hook and others.
Kachuns have a short body, chest is raised, neck is long, beautifully curved. Moving on foot, the birds sway, hence the name. In Russia, many breeds of kachuns are bred:
- Novocherkassk black-tailed;
- Rostov stately;
- white-breasted and others.
The shakers have a shortened body and an elongated, delicately curved neck. Their chest is classically raised, the tail is quite wide, and also lifted up. A distinctive feature, thanks to which this subgroup of birds got its name - frequent shaking of the neck.
Popular pigeon shakers:
- chiliaki chiliaki;
- Poltava black-tailed;
- Uryupin blue;
- Voronezh beetles;
- Volga red-breasted;
- female two-handed and others.
Stately breeds are famous not only for their external beauty, but also for excellent flight qualities. There are three varieties:
- High flying. These birds are characterized by rising to high heights - they are not visible from the ground. They can long stay in the sky at high altitudes. This subgroup includes a lot of whiskers and several shakers. Among the popular high-flying breeds are Kamyshinsky, Dubovsky, and Krukovsky.
- Decorative. These include breeds that have lost flying ability. Such pigeons are kept mainly for the sake of beauty. Such breeds include, for example, Altai shawl and Novocherkassk black-tailed. All submersibles and several rockers belong to this subgroup.
- Turmans. They can not only stay in the sky for a long time, but also perform complex tricks - they tumble, roll over. Prefer group flight. Tourmans include Rzhev, Syzran wingwing, Kazan shaking.
Not all decorative breeds have lost their flying ability. Studying with the handsome men, training them daily, you can achieve high results in breeds that do not differ in high flight characteristics.
Pigeons of stately breeds, properly trained, are able to fly at significant heights for a long time. Birds fly slowly, preferring to move in a circle. Duration of flights - 3-6 or more hours.
Among stately breeds there are birds of various colors. But more often than others, individuals come across white, yellow, red, black and gray. Pigeon growers distinguish several subgroups with characteristic color features. Subgroups of stately breeds differing in the color of plumage and their description are shown in Table 1.
|Color||Where are common?|
|Color chest||White plumage. Chest, neck, head and tail are colored. Plumage with a magpie pattern.||Central Russia, Volga cities, Southern Urals, Siberia.||Pigeon growers especially appreciate birds whose tail is decorated with a white stripe. The ancestors of such breeds are Rzhev pigeons.|
|Colored sided||White plumage. Shields of wings - covering and fly feathers of the second order, painted. The color of the shields is yellow, red, black, gray-blue. On the shields there are two transverse stripes of black color.||Priazovye, Middle Volga region, cities in the Don region.||Representatives of this subgroup are chiliks and cleaners.|
|Color-tailed||White plumage. The tail is colored.||Volga region of the Don.||Only three breeds are included. In all their names, the word "black-tailed" is present. These include Poltava, Orenburg and Novocherkassk pigeons.|
|Single color||The plumage is white, red, yellow, black, gray.||Ural, Siberia, Volga region.||The second name is Doper. Good flyers often have plumage on their feet.|
|Variegated (pockmarked)||Two-color or multi-color plumage. Chaotic spread of spots.||Ural, Volga region.||Feather ornaments are available. This subgroup includes Chelyabinsk white-tailed, Chelyabinsk black-winged and others.|
Varieties of Stately Pigeons
In each locality, pigeon breeders improved the flight and external characteristics of pigeons. Breeding work, carried out for decades and even centuries, has allowed to breed many new breeds and their subspecies.
To tie the breed to a specific area, they are given a name indicating the geographical location, for example, Kazan, Lugansk, Volga, etc. We will get acquainted with the most famous stately rocks.
There are four types of stately Rostov pigeons:
- Rostov flight. Relate to decorative rockers. Plumage - yellow, red, black. On the chest and neck - a metallic tint. The head is smooth, sometimes with a forelock. The back is concave, sometimes raised 80 degrees. The tail has 18-22 tail feathers. On the legs - plumage.
- Chistyki Chiliki. Relate to flight-decorative shaking. Coloring - two-tone, with the obligatory presence of white. The second tone is red, yellow, black or bluish. Some individuals are decorated with a "cockade" on the forehead. Gray individuals have black stripes on the flaps of the wings. Chistyakov-chiliks belong to aggressive breeds. When breeding should take into account their nature.
- White-breasted. This decorative breed for breeding in aviaries. Color - black and white. White color - chest, neck, forelock, belly.
- The Tsitsar are Greek. This breed was bred in the Rostov region, from where it spread to other regions - there they were given other names. During the Second World War, the breed was damaged, from which pigeon breeders have not been able to get rid of until now - tsar are still few in number.
Rostov flying pigeons
Pigeon Chistyaki Chiliki
Rostov breed of pigeons Tsitsar-Greek
Ribbon pigeons were obtained by crossing several stately breeds. The Volga, Syzran wingwing and Rzhev pigeons took part in the selection.
A distinctive feature of all tape breeds is fidelity. Choosing a mate, they remain faithful to her throughout life. The tenderness with which birds relate to each other causes emotion.
- plumage is white and cherry, rarely coffee;
- in the tail there is a white strip;
- wide chest extended forward;
- the tail is raised.
This breed is common in Russia and Ukraine. Refers to the shaking. Bred in Lugansk. The breed is distinguished by a proud article, high flight, circular motion. The flight duration is 2-3 hours.
Lugansk breed is different:
- powerful physique;
- active character;
- snow-white color;
- wide tail;
- wings are lowered, but do not reach the ground;
- shine on the neck.
Lugansk pigeons were involved in the opening and closing events of the 1980 Moscow Olympics
Today, Lugansk pigeons are predominantly kept in enclosures, which is why they have practically lost their flying ability.
Shawl pigeons first appeared in the 20th century - in the city of Barnaul and its environs. Their ancestors are the Rzhev and Kazan shakers.
This subgroup includes decorative rockers who have lost flying ability. External characteristics:
- a large head with a forelock, which gradually turns into a "mane";
- the beak is short, the hue is pinkish;
- the tail is raised, the back is short;
- the neck is narrow - bent and thrown back;
- feathered legs, feather length - 6 cm;
- feathers are painted in cherry, yellow and black and white.
Shawl pigeons do not have bright flying abilities. Their flight is not particularly spectacular.
Features content of stately pigeons
All stately breeds differ:
- good parental abilities - they readily sit on eggs, and then carefully feed offspring.
Static rocks do not require any special containment conditions. It is enough to observe basic rules of care:
- regular cleansing of dovecote, aviary, cells;
- systematic replacement of bedding material;
- the construction of doveless perches in the dovecote - so that the wings do not reach the floor;
- equipment for drinking bowls, feeders, nests;
- creating a sand bath;
- the enclosure should be spacious and bright;
- the dovecote is equipped in the form of a house - it is placed on the ground, in the attic, on the wall;
- standard area - 1.5 square meters. m per individual.
What else you need to know about breeding pigeons:
- If breed related to good flyers is bred, you need to train it regularly.
- In the diet should be 70-80% of cereals. The remaining 20-30% are legumes, herbs, vitamin and mineral supplements.
- Chicks are recommended to be fed eggs or breadcrumbs mixed with milk.
Animals and birds are kept not only for productivity and material gain. This is especially true for breeding pigeons. Many pigeon breeders value not only flying abilities in birds, but also external data. Stately pigeons are real handsome men, and if they also have flying abilities, they simply have no price.