Taganay cucumbers are a hybrid variety-sprinter from Ural breeders, which is distinguished by intensive branching and a rapidly growing main stem. So, fruiting occurs very early, and with 1 square. m planting area you can collect more than 12 kg of dark green and coarse-humped fruits of a cylindrical shape. Why are they attractive, and how to properly cultivate them, we will examine further.
Seeds of cucumbers "Taganay"
Taganay grows rapidly and begins to bear fruit in 35 days
Taganay F1 cucumber is a domestic hybrid that belongs to the early varieties and begins to bear fruit already 37-38 days after emergence. So, with proper care, seedlings are rapidly developing, and therefore the people often call the variety “sprinter”. We will consider its characteristics separately.
Key features of the variety look like this:
- bunch (bunch) fruiting;
- fast development;
- fruit setting in plentiful amounts.
So, in one inflorescence 4-6 ovaries can form, and each node forms 2-3 ovaries.
The plant is characterized by abundant branching, so the main stem is not able to grow rapidly, however, this contributes to the formation of a powerful curtain that is necessary for abundant fruiting. Thus, in the small internodes of the plant, many ovaries ripen, which makes Taganay different from other varieties and hybrids.
The lashes of the bushes are half open, and the leaves are medium in size, making the harvesting process quite simple. In addition, due to this, the plant is less injured, so it can be cultivated on open soil in a spread. In this case, the plant will grow on the ground without any support. On a sunny bed, cucumbers will spread as correctly as possible and will develop well.
Thicken crops should not be thickened, because if you leave them more free space, they will grow to full strength.
Ripe cucumbers have the following characteristics:
- color is dark green;
- length - from 6 to 8 cm (cucumbers do not outgrow);
- the shape is beautiful cylindrical;
- weight - an average of 110 g;
- the skin is thin and pimply with white spikes;
- the taste is pronounced, without bitterness.
It should be noted that the hybrid is distinguished by the friendliness of the size of the fruit. Thus, coarse-grained cucumbers of the gherkin type, aligned in size, can be used for canning without culling, including in small banks. They are also suitable for making pickles. Hollow fruits do not come across, so pickled and pickled cucumbers are obtained excellent quality.
Cucumbers well tolerate transportation over long distances and retain their presentation.
The main characteristics of the hybrid variety can be found below:
|general description||Self-pollinating early ripening variety of universal cultivation|
|Originator||Chelyabinsk breeding station. LLC "SSPK Agrofirm MARS", Chelyabinsk region.|
|Cultivation regions||It can be grown in all regions and regions of Russia, including Siberia and the Urals, because it tolerates adverse climatic conditions - it continues to grow on cloudy days and in drought.|
|Cultivation methods||It can be cultivated both in open ground and in film conditions. On the street, the plant bears fruit until the first frost, and in a greenhouse or greenhouse - all year round.|
|Disease resistance||The variety is resistant to powdery mildew, which is one of the most serious diseases of cucumbers. Thanks to this, gardeners manage to avoid crop losses.|
|Productivity||When grown in open field with 1 square. m planting area, you can collect about 12 kg of fruit, and in a greenhouse - more than 15 kg. The manufacturer of the seed itself assures that with proper care of the plant for the season, you can collect about 30-40 kg of cucumbers from one bush.|
The hybrid variety is characterized by high productivity, therefore, for a family and winter harvesting, it is enough to plant only 2-3 bushes. This is a great option for gardeners who are limited in free space, but want to grow several vegetable crops on their site.
Taganay is a whimsical variety, so to get a good harvest you need to know the following rules:
- Cucumbers can be grown in two ways - seedlings and seeds. Planting crops for seedlings should be from March to April, and planting in the ground in May. In this case, the first crop will be available in June.
- For this variety, it is advisable to choose beds with loose and airy soil. They need to be dug up in advance, to remove all the remains of weeds, and then to add organic and mineral fertilizers. As top dressings, it is better to use ash and ammonium nitrate, but they need to be applied in moderate doses so as not to reduce the amount of yield and worsen the quality of greens.
In order to prevent diseases in seedlings in the next season, garden soil should be disinfected and cleaned of plant debris since the fall.
- Landings can not be very thickened. The optimal scheme is no more than two plants per 1 sq. Km. m
- Hydride can and should be grown in spread, however, this method is acceptable only in the case of a regular garden beds. If it is grown in a greenhouse , bushes need to be tied up.
- For the effective development of the hybrid must provide proper care. So, during the formation of the ovaries and the ripening of the fruit, it is often necessary to water it with warm water, feed, stepchild and protect it from pests.
A hybrid sprinter requires compliance with a number of rules during the landing process. They depend on how the cucumbers are grown - seedlings or seeds. We consider each option separately.
The transplant process is a big stress for many sprouts. They get used to growing under the same conditions, therefore, after transplanting to a permanent place, it is difficult to get accustomed to new conditions. In order to maximally facilitate seedlings adaptation process in a new place, initially for sowing seeds it is better to use garden soil, previously disinfected and fertilized.
In any case, the substrate for seedlings and the land on the beds should be close in quality and characteristics. If, during the transplant, you do not take into account the characteristics of the variety and plant seedlings that grew in light and fluffy soil in clay soil without fertilizers, the fruiting will be delayed and the number of ovaries will be small, therefore, yield indicators will suffer.
In order to prevent such consequences, the bed should be dug up in advance and fertilized:
- rotted manure, compost - 6-8 kg per 1 square. m;
- ash - 200-300 g per 1 square. m;
- ammonium nitrate - 2-3 tsp. per 1 sq. m
In this soil, you can transplant seedlings with 3-4 real leaves. If seeds for seedlings are sown in early March, then work on transplanting seedlings into the ground can be carried out already in late May or early June.
On the day of landing, the weather must be sunny and calm, so that the land on the bed warms up from the sun to + 13 ... + 15 ° C. Such conditions for seedlings will be comfortable, so the stress from changing the place of growth will be minimal. If you transplant in extreme heat, windy weather or heavy rain, the seedlings may even die, failing to adapt to a new place.
So, on a suitable day, seedlings can be transplanted into beds, adhering to this scheme:
- the distance between the bushes in a row is 40-60 cm;
- aisles between rows - 70-80 cm.
Taganay F1 is a climbing plant that grows freely without support and trellis, but requires sufficient space for growth. Thickened landings at times increase the risks of developing diseases, especially in regions with a humid climate.
In regions with a temperate climate, work can be carried out in the last decade of May, so that in the first week of July you can get the first crop of greenhouses. In the case of direct sowing of seeds in a prepared soil, the following parameters should be taken into account:
- place of cultivation - sunny, protected from drafts;
- soil temperature in the greenhouse or in the garden - within + 13 ... + 15 ° C;
- seed placement depth - 6-7 cm.
After planting the seed, the area must be abundantly poured with warm water.
Seedling and Harvesting
In order for the plant to bear fruit abundantly, it is necessary to provide competent care for it, which consists in the following:
- Watering . Before and after planting, water the seedlings with exclusively warm water. This procedure should be plentiful and regular - once every 3-4 days, in the morning or in the evening. However, in hot and dry weather, the amount of irrigation should be increased, and on rainy days - reduced.
- Weeding . After moistening the soil, if necessary, weed it, carefully removing all weeds so as not to damage the root system of the plant itself.
- The formation of bushes . It is one of the main conditions for the proper cultivation of cucumbers. The hydride must be driven into one stem by blinding the first 3-4 lower internodes. Escaping shoots and flowers from them are also subject to removal. In the future, on each node, you need to leave one leaflet, from where the "bundle" will appear.
- Tying up . The plant forms one powerful whip, so there is no need for support. However, to organize a more convenient location of the stem in a greenhouse or on an open bed, trellises can be used. Thanks to this, harvesting can also be greatly facilitated. In any case, it is extremely important to ensure free circulation of air between the bushes so that excess moisture does not accumulate around them. Otherwise, the plant may be exposed to dangerous diseases.
Experienced gardeners also recommend that preventive measures be taken against diseases, as well as getting rid of pests and parasites.
With the organization of competent agricultural technology, you can get the first crop in June. Ripe dark green fruits need to be harvested daily, otherwise they will inhibit the growth of unripe greenhouses and prevent the formation of new ovaries.
Pros and cons of the variety
Many gardeners grow Taganai for fresh consumption and preparation of blanks for the winter. However, some cultivate the hybrid in larger quantities for subsequent sale. Such popularity of the variety is due to its following advantages:
- It has high yields - about 12-15 kg of fruits per 1 sq. km. m;
- rapidly developing - the first crop can be harvested on 37-38 days after emergence
- differs in a long period of delivery of fruits - after the appearance of the first ovaries, the culture bears fruit throughout the season until the first frost;
- in greenhouse conditions bears fruit year-round;
- It has excellent taste and versatility in use - the fruits can be served fresh or used for preservation;
- It doesn’t depend on weather conditions - the variety can be grown in areas with an unfavorable climate (dry or rainy summers, intense heat, cloudy weather - all this will not affect the development and fruiting of the crop).
As for the shortcomings of the hybrid, the following can be distinguished:
- The importance of proper care of seedlings, without which it will not be possible to get a plentiful crop.
- A relative disadvantage can also be considered the need for daily harvest. Without this, culture cannot form fresh ovaries.
- Plant seeds need to be bought annually, since self-prepared planting material will not yield a high-quality crop.
Video: the secrets of growing Taganai cucumbers
In the following video, a gardener with experience will share the secrets of how to properly grow a long-cucumber hybrid of cucumbers from the "Ural summer resident":
Taganai cucumbers are an early hybrid variety for cultivation in both southern and northern regions. Factors such as drought or heavy rains will not affect the quality and quantity of the crop. So, with the correct organization of agricultural technology already on day 37-38 you can get a plentiful crop of beautifully cylindrical crisp cucumbers. They can be served fresh and used for the preparation of winter preparations.