In order for the birds to be kept in proper conditions, on which egg laying and livestock health depend, they need to properly equip the premises. In specialized stores or in the market, you can buy ready-made cages, but it is possible to make a quail shed with your own hands. And how to do it, read on.
Quails are usually kept in cages, which are installed in different rooms - a summer kitchen, a garage, a chicken coop and even in an apartment. But the best option is a barn, which will become a permanent place of stay for birds. It is unacceptable that the building was cold and draft, so you need to learn how to properly not only equip the dwelling inside, but also choose a place for the building.
How to choose a site for the building:
- away from the apartment building, due to which the chirping of birds and unpleasant odors will not be heard;
- the place should be on a hill or on the same level as the rest of the plots, as in a lowland it is usually cold
- quail do not like exposure to sunlight, so their house is better to place in the dark;
- these birds prefer wildlife, so there should be trees and shrubs around the barn;
- the house under the open sun overheats excessively in the summer, and quail can not tolerate elevated temperatures (begin to hurt) - the maximum temperature should be 28-30 degrees.
What materials and tools will be needed?
The shed can be built from wood, brick, foam blocks and other building materials. But to save money, it is better to use wooden bars, the size of which should be approximately 100x150 mm. In addition, other materials will be needed (the amount depends on the area of the building being built):
- blocks for the foundation;
- antiseptic agents for wood processing;
- boards (size 50x100 mm);
- slate for the roof;
- window frame;
- OSB plates;
- a door;
- door handle and latch;
- metal corners;
- fasteners - self-tapping screws, nails and the like.
To build a structure, the following tools are used:
- a hammer;
- building level;
In each case, additional tools, materials, equipment and containers may be needed. It depends on the type of structure and the desire of the house owner.
Quail can not live outdoor way (like, for example, chicken), so they are placed in special cages. Depending on the area of the premises and the number of birds, from 3 to 12 tiers are arranged (the maximum number is suitable for 30 sq. M). The cells are made of wood and metal mesh (3 sides are solid, the fourth is trellised). This reduces the risk of drafts.
How to make do-it-yourself quail cages is described here .
But the barn has special requirements:
- For 1,000 birds, an area of 35-40 square meters is needed. m
- The temperature in the room should not be less than 18 degrees. Otherwise, the birds will fall ill or start to bunch together, which leads to crushing each other. This is especially true for adults who have a little less fluff than young quails. To do this, it is necessary to install heating equipment - an oven, heater, etc. In this case, it is necessary to take into account the fact that these devices too dry the air.
- The minimum percentage of humidity is 50. To achieve this when using heaters, it is enough to hang wet rags in the ceiling part, which need to be moistened as they dry. Another option is to arrange buckets filled with water.
- The room should not have drafts that come from the cracks. That is why the use of siding is recommended. Particular attention should be paid to the door and window openings. That is, they must be well sealed.
- Quail can not tolerate bright rays of light, but they need lighting. It should be muffled. To do this, you can install infrared lamps (in this case, additional heating of the house is carried out). The average light time for quail is 14-15 hours. And to increase egg production, it is recommended to light the barn for 2 hours, to keep the birds in the dark for an hour.
- Do not install cages near windows, and make frame openings too large. The fact is that all birds actively react to any natural changes, which negatively affects egg production and health.
- Ventilation in the building is an important condition for maintenance. For this, ventilation systems of natural and forced (artificial) type are installed.
Step-by-step manufacturing instructions
In order for the shed to meet all the requirements and standards, it is necessary to carry out the work in stages. The first thing to do is to build a structure, after which it is equipped from the inside.
- Choose a suitable place (in the shade among the vegetation).
- Decide on the dimensions of the building and draw up a diagram, drawing.
- To establish marking lines around the perimeter of the future barn. To do this, use a measuring tape to measure the distance on all sides, install pegs from wooden battens on which to tighten a strong thread.
- Further, the selected area is cleaned of vegetation (if trees or bushes grew there, it is necessary to uproot the root system completely, otherwise over time the vegetation will break through the floor covering, which will lead to destruction).
- Remove a small layer of earth (approximately 20 cm), level the surface.
- Pour a layer of sand to the bottom (you can add a little crushed stone).
- Check evenness with building level.
- Dig a moat around the perimeter of the building to install the foundation. For this, an ordinary shovel is used.
- Pour sand.
- Install the foundation blocks.
- Using the bars, create the bottom of the frame, which is immediately treated with an antiseptic.
- Place a plank flooring on the bottom of the base. Apply an antiseptic to the boards.
- Mount the wall frame by nailing it to the base. Do not forget to leave openings for installing doors and windows.
- Make the crate system on which the ondulin fits.
- Now the walls need to be sheathed with oriented particle boards.
- Next, windows and doors are mounted.
- Install a slate roof.
- Make the facade cladding siding.
How to build the barn building itself is shown in the video tutorial below:
Inside the barn, the walls can be left wooden, but to create the optimum indoor temperature, it is advisable to insulate them and finish them with a material such as drywall, after which it is enough to putty, whitewash or a coloring substance.
Please note that when using gypsum plasterboards in the house, the area will decrease, since they are installed on the profile design.
Humidity and ventilation
To maintain optimum humidity in the house, a ventilation system must be installed. Ventilation in a quail barn should be carried out hourly, so it is better to install an automated system that connects and turns off in a given mode. Such fans are sold in a specialized store in a huge assortment.
You can arrange ventilation in another way:
- Ventilate the room through the window opening. For this, a frame is divided into 2 parts. One of them is completely closed, but has small openings. The other half should open. Thus, fresh air will circulate.
- Another option is mechanical. An automated fan is installed in the window opening, which is periodically turned on.
- A more complex, but less expensive system is the supply and exhaust system. You need to purchase a pair of plastic or metal pipes with a diameter of 20 cm. The length of each should be 180-220 cm.
On the roof of the shed, 2 holes must be punched for installing pipes (cracks are then treated with sealant). Air exchange channels should be located on opposite sides relative to each other. In the upper part of the pipe should extend beyond the roof, but at different distances (one per 1 m 20 cm, the other 30 cm lower). Fresh air will enter one of them, and carbon dioxide will be released through the other.
It is advisable to equip the roof pipes with visors so that debris does not penetrate inside. To accelerate the process of air circulation, a deflector is installed in one pipe, which cuts through the wind. Be sure to install the gate valves to cover the holes as necessary (for example, in case of excessive wind).
Remember that ventilation systems without the use of a stationary electric fan can only work in windy conditions. Therefore, the best option is to install natural ventilation and at the same time a forced system. This will save energy in windy weather.
At the stage of interior decoration, it is necessary to take care of the electrical network. A wire extends from the main power supply towards a new building. A power outlet and switch are installed inside the house. A fluorescent lamp is necessarily suspended from the ceiling part, and an infrared lamp is installed to ensure a muted luminous flux. Make sure that it is not too close to the cells.
After installing the electrical system, be sure to check operation. Consider the fire safety technique, which will exclude in the future an unexpected circuit of the network and fire of the barn.
To maintain the temperature regime, you can use heaters, but this option will require electricity. To reduce them, it is possible to insulate the walls at the construction stage. The inside is equipped with drywall. Between it and the wall, thermal insulation material is laid. What can be used:
- mineral wool;
- old rags;
- pressed wood shavings, etc.
The building can also be insulated from the outside, for which specialized materials are used.
About the interior arrangement of a quail barn, see the following video:
10 helpful tips
When arranging a quail shed, it is necessary to be guided by the basic requirements for the construction and maintenance of this type of bird. In order not to make irreparable mistakes, use the advice of those who have already been involved in the construction.
What is important to pay attention to:
- To ensure that the building and cells are not exposed to infection, decay and other unpleasant factors, be sure to disinfect. At this time, birds need to be removed from the house or use products that will not harm them.
- Quite often, the person himself brings bacterial microorganisms into the barn. To avoid this, you can install a simple barrier. To do this, on the threshold (indoors) put a box with low sides, which is filled with straw or sawdust. A fabric impregnated with a disinfectant solution is placed on top of the material. When the house enters the crate, his shoes are automatically disinfected.
- Do not use materials and raw materials with a high content of toxic substances for construction and interior decoration. This will lead to the death of the livestock.
- The room temperature should always be the same. To do this, you can install a special sensor controller in the house that monitors the temperature and humidity levels. When the indicators become critical, the sensor emits a signal.
- Be sure to treat the wooden elements of the barn with antiseptic agents.
- When determining the parameters of the structure, be guided by the fact that in it you need to install not only cells for adults, but also an incubator and brooder for chicks . Do not forget that in the room you need to equip a separate compartment for storing feed and bedding material.
- If the barn is built without windows, then the necessary level of lighting is separately calculated. So, for 1 square meter should be 4 watts.
- Some breeders prefer more reliable buildings - from brick, blocks, stone, etc. But for the house it is not practical, as it is too expensive. Yes, and independently lay out such materials correctly is unlikely to succeed. Therefore, wooden bars are the best option. Sheathe the outer part can be not only siding, but also improvised materials that can be found in any private house. These are the remains of plywood, boards, boards, plastic, etc. Thanks to this, you can significantly reduce the construction budget of the house.
- If your plans include releasing birds for flight into the room, be sure to arrange it so that there are no harmful materials that quail can peck. This list includes polystyrene foam, which is often used by houses (material is not expensive).
- If you are not confident in your abilities, seek the help of professionals at least for a preliminary consultation. Because after making mistakes, it is unlikely that it will be possible to correct the deficiencies without unnecessary costs.
A quail barn, which you will make with your own hands, is perfect for both summer and winter keeping of birds . You will spend a minimum of money, invest your strength in it, master new skills that will not fail to please you and all household members. The main thing is to follow all the requirements and not deviate from a competently drawn up scheme.