Ekol is a relatively new variety of cucumber suitable for cultivation in closed and open ground, both in spring-summer and in summer-autumn. The first crop of tuberous cylindrical fruits with a small seed chamber can be harvested 42-45 days after emergence. Zelentsy are great for fresh consumption, canning and pickling.
Ekol cucumbers are suitable for salting
Hybrid Ekol F1 was bred by the Dutch breeders of the seed company Syngenta Seeds BV. The sample was tested in 2001. The variety was included in the State Register of Breeding Achievements of the Russian Federation in 2007 and is intended for cultivation in the North Caucasus region, which includes:
- Chechen Republic;
- North Ossetia Alania;
- Rostov region;
- Stavropol and Krasnodar Territory.
How hybrid grows and bears fruit, we will consider separately.
The plant has the following characteristics:
- parthenocarpic (self-pollinated), therefore, does not require pollination by bees;
- tall - in height reaches 2.5-3 m;
- medium-ply with dark green leaves of medium and small size;
- bunch (bunch) by the type of flowering - the ovaries form quickly and intensively, 5 pieces in the axillary bud;
- indeterminate (the main stem grows without restrictions);
- compact with short internodes and additional shoots on 2 leaves (generative type).
With sufficient nutrition in each node, 5 to 7 cucumbers can be tied.
Ekol bears fruit with greenery with the following characteristics:
- type - pickles, gherkins;
- weight - an average of 60-75 g (the largest specimens can reach 95-100 g);
- the shape is cylindrical;
- length - from 6 to 10 cm, with a ratio to width of 3: 1;
- peel - high density, bright green with whitish stripes and slightly pronounced spotting, coarse-tuberous surface and frequent white spikes (this type of peel is called the “Dutch shirt”);
- the flesh is juicy and crispy with an excellent refreshing taste, genetically without bitterness and voids, with a dense structure and a small seed chamber.
Hybrid Ekol is often grown to produce pickles, since even small fruits 4-6 cm long are fully formed, have excellent marketable and taste qualities.
The main parameters of the variety can be found below:
|Growing method||Gherkin seeds are suitable for growing in open ground and in greenhouse conditions. Read about growing cucumbers in a greenhouse here .|
|Ripening period||The variety is early ripe, therefore, from the appearance of the first seedlings to the formation of mature fruits, it takes about 42-45 days.|
|Productivity||With proper care from 1 square. m area you can collect 18-20 kg of full cucumbers or 7-8 kg of pickles. Commercial yield is not lower than 110 t / ha, which is due to the small size of internodes.|
|Harvesting||Fruiting occurs 1.5 months after sowing seeds, and you can harvest from May to the end of September. The fruits must not be overripe, because in this case they become hard, hard and tasteless.|
|Disease resistance||The hybrid is resistant to the main bacterial diseases - powdery mildew, cladosporiosis (brown spotting), cucumber mosaic virus. The plant quickly recovers after exposure to stressful conditions.|
|Application||The variety is canned, so it is great for pickling and pickling. After heat treatment, the internal structure does not change, voids do not form, and the flesh remains elastic and crisp. In addition, the fruits can be consumed fresh.|
In order for the Ekol F1 cucumber to grow and develop well on a personal plot, first of all, you need to take into account the following agricultural rules:
- In conditions of the middle strip, you can grow a culture through direct sowing of seeds in open ground. In other regions, it is better to use the seedling method, since in this case the plant comes into bearing faster and bears fruit more abundantly. The best time for sowing is the second decade of May.
- Under cucumbers, it is worth choosing medium loamy soils with sufficient friability. If the soil is heavy, it should be fed with moistened wood sawdust in the fall.
- Sowing seeds can be done at the site where in the previous season such vegetable crops as:
- To germinate friendly seedlings, seeds should be treated with plant growth stimulants, including Zircon and Epin, before planting. Next, the seeds need to be laid in a damp cloth and kept until swelling and emergence of seedlings. If the seeds from the producer are colored blue or red, then they are treated with fungicides and do not need preliminary germination.
- After planting, ensure proper care, which consists of regular watering, tillage, top dressing and protection from various diseases and pests.
Parthenocarpic hybrid brings equally good yield in both the first and second turns, therefore it is one of the best options for growing in spring or summer.
The soil in the garden or in the greenhouse must be prepared for planting cucumbers in advance. To do this, you need to carry out such events:
- In autumn, remove all the tops and weeds from the garden, and in greenhouse conditions it is advisable to completely remove the topsoil. Dig the soil on the bayonet of a shovel and add organic fertilizer.
- 21 days before planting, warm the soil and destroy the pathogenic microflora, introducing horse manure. An alternative is bird droppings, but they must be paid in 14 days after planting. If organic matter is introduced immediately before planting, this will result in burning seeds or seedlings roots.
- Immediately before planting, dig up the soil again, apply fertilizer and pour it with warm water.
Before planting, the soil must be moist and well-fertilized so that the dive shoots can adapt more quickly to new conditions of germination.
Sowing seeds in open ground
The seedlingless method can be used in late spring, when the threat of repeated frosts completely disappears, and the soil warms up to + 15-16 ° C. In the middle lane this period falls on May 25-30.
Sowing the sticky seeds is carried out in the following order:
- In the prepared soil, make shallow holes in advance with an interval of 10-15 cm. The optimal distance between the rows is 60-65 cm.
- Moisten the grooves and throw 4-5 seeds into each of them, with the expectation that 2-3 plants will remain in the hole. Depth of landing - 2-3 cm.
- Cover the crops with film material, which can be removed in a few days.
The first seedlings should be thinned out on the 10th day after planting, leaving up to 10 cm between seedlings. After a week, the seedlings should be thinned out again, increasing the distance between them to 20-25 cm.
For information on how and when to plant cucumbers for seedlings, look in this article .
Planting through seedlings
With the seedling method of growing the Ekol hybrid, it is better to use separate cups with a volume of 0.3-0.5 l, since the seedlings do not tolerate picking. You can grow seedlings in separate containers in the following order:
- A soil mixture of peat, sawdust, deciduous humus and fertile soil is punctured in an oven or treated with special means to destroy pest larvae and fungal spores. To skip this step, you can already purchase a disinfected substrate in the garden store.
- Fill the soil with cups or pots, plant the pre-treated seeds to a depth of 2-3 cm and moisten with warm water.
- Place containers in a warm and sunny place. The ideal option is a windowsill on the south or west side.
- Before the first shoots appear, cover the crops with film or glass. Next, such a coating needs to be removed, and seedlings regularly and abundantly watered with warm water. Of course, waterlogging of the soil should not be allowed, since this is fraught with rotting of the fragile root system.
- In cloudy weather, use a daylight lamp to extend daylight hours. Otherwise, the sprouts will stretch and will not give a good crop. It is advisable to use additional lighting also in the morning and evening hours.
- For rapid growth, seedlings can be fed with complex fertilizers for vegetables without chloride compounds.
- 10-12 days before transplanting into open ground, seedlings should be quenched, taking out daily for several hours on a balcony or street.
When 3-4 real leaflets appear on the seedlings, they can be transplanted to a permanent place, since they are able to quickly take root and restore intensive development. At this stage, a strong and healthy seedling should have the following parameters:
- height - not higher than 30 cm;
- leaf color - dark green, without dry spots, tears and wilted areas;
- roots - strong and intact, braiding the entire earthen lump.
Keeping such seedlings in pots is no longer worth it, since at a more mature age it will be more difficult for it to take root in the garden.
Seedlings, along with an earthen lump, must be carefully planted in pre-prepared holes. Seedlings grown in peat pots should be placed directly in the ground, as they will become an additional fertilizer of the roots. The optimal planting density of this hybrid form is 2-3 plants per 1 square. m
In order for Ekol F1 to bear fruit abundantly, it is necessary to properly care for it, conducting all agricultural activities on time.
Watering and loosening
Watering cucumbers should be plentiful and regular, because cucumbers are very fond of moisture. With its shortage, the yield of the hybrid will drop, and the taste of the obtained greens will suffer significantly.
Water the bushes with warm water in the evening or in the morning every 3-5 days at the rate of 30 liters of water per 1 sq. m. In hot weather and during fruit setting, the frequency and intensity of watering is desirable to increase. On rainy days, when the soil is wet, it’s worth the time.
The best method of watering Ekol is by grooves or by sprinkling. Water must be sprayed carefully so that the drops do not fall on the leaves, since in sunny weather they can cause burns to the leaf plate. Also, too high a pressure of water should not be allowed, since it can damage roots that are close to the surface of the soil.
After each irrigation or precipitation, it is advisable to loosen the soil between the rows to a depth of not more than 8 cm in order to improve air exchange. To preserve moisture, it is also recommended to mulch the ground with grass or hay.
During the development period, the hybrid needs to be fed several times with organic and mineral fertilizers. This should be done on moist ground and in warm weather, when the roots are actively working.
Ecol can be fed with organic fertilizers, presented in the table:
|Fertilizer||Preparation and application|
|Horse dung||Dilute organic matter with water in a ratio of 1: 1 and mix thoroughly so that there are no lumps. Leave for a day, dilute with 5-6 parts of water and use when watering.|
|Mullein||Prepared in the same way as horse manure, however, you need to breed 4-5 parts of water. Also use when watering.|
|Bird droppings||Unlike previous fertilizers, after insisting during the day, 8-10 parts of water are diluted. It is applied when watering.|
|Ash||It is diluted in water at the rate of 100 g per 10 l and is used for watering bushes.|
As for mineral fertilizers, then they should be fed cucumbers 3 times per season. The scheme of their introduction is presented in the table:
|10 g of potassium salt, superphosphate and ammonium nitrate per 10 l of water (per 4 sq. M)||On the 14th day after transplanting seedlings to a permanent place.|
|20 g of potassium salt, superphosphate and ammonium nitrate per 10 l of water (per 4 sq. M)||2 weeks after the first feeding.|
|30 g of potassium sulfate per 10 l of water (per 4 sq. M)||During fruiting (can be applied daily)|
About how to properly feed cucumbers in the open ground, read the next article .
The bushes of the plant must be tied to a support, so that they grow vertically, without falling to the ground from the weight of the green mass and many fruits. If you leave the plant without support, the whips will drag along the ground, which can lead to various diseases of the plant. In the case of the correct garter, it will be possible to raise the plant towards the sun and create favorable conditions for setting fruits.
When tying to the support, the plant stem needs to be twisted twice near the support, and then released down, to let 3 leaves in and pinch the growth point.
The Ekol hybrid is characterized by medium branching of the side shoots. When 6-7 leaves are formed, the main stem must be pinched, which is necessary for the growth of greenery and increase the yield of vegetable crops. So, you need to leave 1-2 strong stems, and cut off the remaining shoots.
In order for the bushes to form a strong root system, it is necessary to blind the ovaries in the internodes of the lower 6 leaves. In this case, you can leave 2-3 leaf blades below the ovary. In the case of poor development of the bush, it is also advisable to remove the buds from the next tier.
How correctly formed bushes bear fruit, you can clearly see in the video:
Protection against diseases and pests
With the appearance of 3 leaves and before mass fruiting for preventive purposes begins, the plant should be sprayed twice with the Kvadris-250 SC fungicide, using a solution with a concentration of 0.05%. In the same period, preventive spraying of bushes with a 0.02% solution of the Pharmayod preparation gives a good result. Perform similar treatments in the evening, so that the leaves do not suffer from sunburn.
Even despite proper care, in conditions of prolonged bad weather the plant may still get sick. For a cucumber, such ailments are of great danger:
- Powdery Mildew It affects the plant in cloudy and damp weather. The disease can be detected by a white coating on the leaves and dried leaf plates. In the fight against powdery mildew, the fungicide Tiovit Jet has proven itself.
- Peronosporosis . The reason for its appearance is cold weather and excessive humidity. It appears yellowish-brown oily spots on the surface of the leaves, which are also covered with a gray coating from below. With peronosporosis, cucumber must be treated with chemical agents, among which Ridomil Gold and Topaz are popular among gardeners.
- White rot . If excess moisture accumulates on the shoots, then this leads to the development of white rot, as evidenced by a white coating on the stems and greenery. All affected parts of the plant need to be removed, and the wound treated with a dark pink solution of potassium permanganate and sprinkled with wood ash.
- Gray rot . It also develops in cool and rainy weather. In this case, all parts of the plant are covered with gray loose coating. They need to be treated with fungicide Switch 62.5 WG.
- Mosaic of cucumber . This is a virus that is introduced by infected seeds. It is manifested by a change in the shape of leaves and spots on the plant. Sick specimens must be removed from the garden and destroyed, because the disease is not treated.
For the Ekol hybrid, the following pests also pose a danger:
- Aphids . It sucks vital juices from the leaves, so they wrinkle, twist into tubes and dry. To destroy aphids, the plant must be treated with chemicals such as Karbofos and Fitoverm.
- Spider mite . When attacked by pests, the leaves become covered with bright dots that gradually turn yellow. A cobweb also appears on the underside of the tops. To destroy the tick, the plant must be treated with Vertimek. For the same purpose, you can use a burning infusion of potato tops. To prepare it, you need to mix 1 kg of tops and 10 g of red pepper, pour 10 liters of water and leave for 4 hours. Means to spray the affected bushes.
- Whitefly It affects the leaf plate, which darkens and dries over time. To get rid of the pest, the leaves need to be washed with clean water.
To protect the cucumber from the invasion of pests, you need to regularly loosen and weed the soil, observe the watering regime and destroy all dry plant debris immediately after the last harvest.
Read more about diseases, pests of cucumbers and methods of dealing with them, read in the next article .
Harvesting and storage
Cucumber Ekol is one of the few vegetables that is perfect in unripe form, which is why it is going to. Overgrown fruits are suitable mainly for harvesting seeds, since they lose their taste and commercial qualities, become like barrels.
Gherkins and pickles of a hybrid need to be removed every day in the morning or in the evening. The stems do not need to be twisted, as this can easily damage the lashes. Cucumbers are best cut with a knife or secateurs. If there are yellowed shoots or rotten leaves, they must also be carefully removed.
Harvested fruits can be stored for several days in a cool place, after discarding sluggish and yellowed specimens, as they are not suitable for consumption. Healthy cucumbers can be consumed fresh or used for preservation, given the fact that pickled and pickled cucumbers Ekol F1 are not hollow.
Advantages and disadvantages
Gardeners admired the Ekol cucumber due to its advantages:
- has a stable and high productivity (110 t / ha);
- differs in intensive fruit set (forms up to 9 ovaries from each fruiting node);
- can form fruit ovaries without pollination;
- It is highly resistant to the tobacco mosaic virus and powdery mildew;
- the fruits are distinguished by a high presentation (the ratio of the length and width of the gherkin is 3: 1);
- gives excellent pickles, sweet to the taste and without bitterness.
The disadvantages of the hybrid include:
- the presence of prickly thorns on the fruit;
- loss of palatability and excessive thickening of the fruit during untimely collection;
- lack of tolerance to downy mildew (peronosporosis).
Hydride Ekol F1 is the latest partenocarpic cucumber of Dutch selection with a medium early maturity, which shows excellent survival and adaptation to cultivation in the middle zone of the Russian Federation. The variety is considered undemanding to care, but in order to get a good harvest, it is important to adhere to all the rules of agricultural technology.